Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately a Maui fisherman died today from a shark bite... so it's all over the news... but as this article points out, shark bite is the correct term, not shark attack, and very few species even bite humans except by accident.

Quote:
Of the 400 or so shark species, the three most dangerous to people are bull sharks (not found in Hawaii), great whites (offshore and rare here) and tiger sharks, the species responsible for most bites in Hawaii.

I use the term "bite" rather than "attack," because tiger sharks aren't attacking when they sink their teeth into human flesh. This is simply how the fish checks whether an item it has come across is food. Unfortunately the shark's teeth are so sharp that this checking often causes injury.

Very few shark species pose a danger to humans Hawaii News, Honolulu, Honolulu News, Sports, Editorial, Features, Travel and Business - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - Hawaii Newspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 06:44 PM

42 posts, read 64,830 times
So true, thanks for the reminder, OpenD. I'll remember that when i'm snorkeling on the Big Island, later this week!

Lorinda

Old 12-02-2013, 07:47 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,374,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
shark bite is the correct term, not shark attack, and very few species even bite humans except by accident.
Semantics. People don't want to get bit by a shark any more than they want to be attacked by them. But if it makes people feel more comfortable around them, fine. The biggest danger to humans around the Ocean is the drive down to the beach, especially in Southern California. Second to that is waves. Both 1000x more likely to cause injury/death than shark bites, shark attacks or sharknados.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:41 AM

189 posts, read 260,920 times
I feel better now that i know they just want a sample...

Old 12-03-2013, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.ca View Post
I feel better now that i know they just want a sample...
The key point being that they don't hunt for people, in our waters, as much as they just bump into them accidentally. Keeping informed on the latest reports helps reduce your odds of a contact.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:48 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,575,502 times
Quote:
The key point being that they don't hunt for people, in our waters, as much as they just bump into them accidentally. Keeping informed on the latest reports helps reduce your odds of a contact.
Well, this kind of explains why my girl friend got pregnant that year, and what happened to my drivers license, (sure, keep it IN the wallet), and the neighbors cocker spaniel, "I ALWAYS let her run on the beach!!!", as for my black cat??? Thought she had more sense, but, I think the neighbors cocker spaniel was behind the whole thing, tricky little buggers.....

Finformation: Items Found in the Stomachs of Tiger Sharks

Uuuurrrrrppppp,,,, nope, that didn't taste good

Old 12-03-2013, 03:52 PM

569 posts, read 780,600 times
Quote:
I agree with what you're saying, but not sure how this info helps me reduce my odds of contact (short of not getting in the water).

Old 12-03-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
I agree with what you're saying, but not sure how this info helps me reduce my odds of contact (short of not getting in the water).
Mostly I think it should help alleviate some of the fear. They AREN'T hunting you. But take shark spotting reports seriously, because if you aren't in the water when they're around, they can't bump into you.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:30 PM

959 posts, read 1,216,768 times
Quote:
Mostly I think it should help alleviate some of the fear. They AREN'T hunting you. But take shark spotting reports seriously, because if you aren't in the water when they're around, they can't bump into you.
They aren't hunting me, they're hunting food. They just occasionally mistake me for food until they taste me and realize I'm not the food they are hunting.

Yes, I think I feel better now. Lol

Old 12-03-2013, 05:42 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Semantics. People don't want to get bit by a shark any more than they want to be attacked by them. ...........
It's a lot more than semantics. If a large and sharp tooth carnivore takes a taste and spits you out, you have a decent chance of surviving.

If that same animal has reason to attack you, he is going to finish you off and you are not going to walk away from it.

Just be happy that humans don't taste good. The majority of large carnivores prefer to give us a pass and to look for something more to their liking in flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii