Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:43 PM

521 posts, read 733,191 times

Advertisements

Junior college seems like a good way to go regardless of what state you're in n
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 03:38 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,454 times
Don't overlook BYUH on the north shore of Oahu. They take a small percentage of non-Mormons and their fees are much lower. Your job prospects will also be better because they are famous for raising very disciplined graduates. Meaning if you can resist alcohol, drugs, sex and focus on your grades throughout your college years, you have a halo hovering over your resume. Especially in accounting.

Do not plan past your college years. The best advice now will be outdated by then. You may also be 'done' with Hawaii. If it comes down to btw Chaminade & Hilo, take Chaminade. Check UH Hilo out once you are here and you could evtl change colleges after a year. Easier than switching from Hilo to Chaminade.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Meaning if you can resist alcohol, drugs, sex and focus on your grades throughout your college years,
We are talking about college right?

Old 04-18-2014, 05:12 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
We are talking about college right?
Well to be fair, accounting majors aren't necessarily the partying type...I majored in accounting....

OP,

If you plan on taking the CPA exam, it's best to go to an AACSB school, I know when studied for it some states will require your upper-division accounting credits to come from an accredited university. I don't know if you want to go that route, but if you study accounting it's well worth your time and effort. In for a penny, in for a pound. Oh yeah, definitely get a degree in accounting over general business, or double major; just don't hinge your future on a general business degree. I've seen countless students graduate with a BA in general business or business management and end up working minimum wage jobs at Home Depot or Starbucks, even in cities with stronger job markets than anything on the Islands.

I'd go to UH, or stick with a mainland school and keep costs down while getting the same degrees. It sounds as though you're set on moving to Hawaii, and a licensed CPA will do well in Honolulu (it would be your best bet as far as jobs go on the islands, post-graduation), but believe me when I say it's a long and difficult process to go from your first accounting course to a licensed CPA. I know a lot of companies are really big on the students who double major in accounting and supply chain management, it should give you many more options.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:20 PM

6 posts, read 7,072 times
Well, you do bring up a good point. Although I am a huge city boy, it would benefit me to get a better education from a small town, and then simply go to Honolulu after I graduate. As for the other comment, I have taken a look at BYUH, but I think it has an acceptance rate of 23 percent.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:59 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
It's less expensive to live in Hilo and once you've gotten state residency, the school tuition will be lower. Guess you can do the math on that sort of calculating, huh? Although the Big Island does need accountants and bookkeepers so maybe you'd not need to go to Honolulu to look for work afterwards. Everyone has been asking me if I know of any good ones. Ours just up and joined the Peace Corps, then his replacement retired so we are sort of "between" accountants ourselves.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:29 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
It's less expensive to live in Hilo and once you've gotten state residency, the school tuition will be lower. Guess you can do the math on that sort of calculating, huh?
But you can't earn state residency while you are in school, nor if your parents live in another state. Basically, if you start college in Hawai'i paying out of state tuition, you will remain a non-resident and pay out-of-state rates through graduation... even through grad school if you choose to go that route.

IOW, you have to live in the state for at least a year, not in school, with the intention of becoming a permanent resident, and not have significant financial support from parents, before you can be considered for in-state rates.

Quote:
Although the Big Island does need accountants and bookkeepers so maybe you'd not need to go to Honolulu to look for work afterwards. Everyone has been asking me if I know of any good ones. Ours just up and joined the Peace Corps, then his replacement retired so we are sort of "between" accountants ourselves.
There's always going to be a need for accountants, so it can be a good field to go into if you have the talent and disposition for it, and study hard, at a good school. I have no idea what the current program is, but I'd suggest taking as much computer science as you can pack into your schedule, because it's such a significant part of accounting today.

Last edited by OpenD; 04-19-2014 at 05:38 AM..

Old 04-19-2014, 11:00 AM

451 posts, read 411,845 times
[quote=OpenD;34431197]But you can't earn state residency while you are in school, nor if your parents live in another state. Basically, if you start college in Hawai'i paying out of state tuition, you will remain a non-resident and pay out-of-state rates through graduation... even through grad school if you choose to go that route.

IOW, you have to live in the state for at least a year, not in school, with the intention of becoming a permanent resident, and not have significant financial support from parents, before you can be considered for in-state rates.

As far as I understand (and recall), a prospective student cannot be declared a dependent on their out-of- state parent's (or anyone else's out-of-state) income tax and needs to establish residency in the state in order to qualify for in state tuition. This goes for the CC's as well as the U of H system. Admin's are not shy about asking for verification, i.e. copies of a parent's or guardian's federal tax return and proof of residency (voter id, state issued ID, rent and utility receipts, pay stubs, etc.). One has to prove to Admin that they are a resident based on the stated institutional requirements....which are easily searchable online.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:26 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezAloha View Post
It better give a good return on investment. For the 2013-2014 year at Harvey Mudd, tuition, room & board and other expenses were estimated to be $63,680 . And their acceptance rate? Just a little over 21%.
That's some serious investment, four years would cost almost $255K, assuming the degree could be completed in four years and no graduate school was required. It may be wiser to take the first couple years at a lower cost local community college, then transfer the credits. The major has to be given very careful consideration, which rules out majors like art history, English literature, and women's studies. You need some serious income to pay back the education expenses especially if most of cost was paid with loans, not grants. There are fields of study where a lower cost two year degree have very good return on investment. Maybe a two year degree could be a viable option. You need to make sure that you don't end up working for Walmart or becoming a burger flipper after investing that kind of money in an education. If those are education loans and you default, the amount due will multiply, and the huge financial debt will absolutely destroy the rest of your life.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:08 PM

246 posts, read 650,017 times
I don't understand why u are not looking at Kapiolani community college?
It's in Honolulu and part of the UH system? Probably cheaper than Hilo.

What about Heald Business College?

If you plan to work in Hawaii afterwards the UH system has a much greater reputation amongst Hawaii businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: