Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:13 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
We both want to do Hawaii. We want to explore these islands and have been to Florida again and again and again and no we don't want to do carribbean

There is absolutely not enough leave time to drive by land to California and besides the issue isn't the flight to Hawaii...it's the fact that the Inter-hAwaii flights are smaller...that my fiancée cannot handle a "small commuter plane"

A possibility we looked into is boating between islands but there are no October ships that make sense or fit our itinerary

There is no concern over the length of the flight to Hawaii because the portion of the flight my fiancée cannot handle is only the taking off had sometimes the landing. Once at cruising altitude she handles fine as long as flight is smooth.
I thought the main point was to avoid turbulence. I don't fly a lot, but I do fly from time to time long distances. The worst turbulence I've experienced was on long-haul large jet aircraft while flying at cruising altitude. The inter-island aircraft I flew on were jets, but they were smaller jets. I avoided the lower cost turbo props. I did not experience any significant turbulence on the inter-island flights. Maybe others can comment -- in general, I think the longer the flight, the higher the risk is to experience turbulence, rather than the size of the jet aircraft.

Boating between the islands is probably pretty bumpy, unless you charter a very large boat, which is probably not affordable. There are large cruise ships that travel between the islands, but you would have to buy cruise tickets.

Ten days isn't much time to see three islands. A week on each island only barely skims the surface on what to see and experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 11:18 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Dave. Length of flight isn't the issue. Try a Phoenix/Vegas flight sometime and hang on for a wild ride in the summer. Near guaranteed hard turbulence.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:20 PM

569 posts, read 780,077 times
Quote:
I think it is comforting Hawaiian airlines has a very safe record of no tragic incidents.

In contrast, the Kauai helicopter tour is not recommended and has had crash incidents.

I think we will brave it out.

Looking at Grand Wailea, Sheraton Wakiki, Grand Hyatt Resort and Spa Kauai, this is a dream experience that local Hawaiians themselves sure wouldn't mind, am I right?

I know living in Hawaii is not this luxurious paradise, it's better actually than this paradise because of the people you meet and call friends and neighbors. It's more a paradise from within yourself.
But...when you have just about 10 days to honeymoon, then that Grand Wailea picturesque image will not wear old on you. Hence it is a honeymooners paradise but could also be a local Hawaiian's vacation, or if you live on a different island you may vacation on other islands you don't call home right?

Hawaiians enjoy tourist Hawaii also sometimes?
In my experience , inter-island flight are typcially no more bumpy than any other...especially some place like Denver of Phoenix.

Those are nice resorts, as far as whether locals stay there, I'd say usually not. People who can afford it might stay at these places during inter-island travel, but it's kind of surprising how few islanders spend much time visiting the other islands for pleasure. (I'm sure Viper has some stats on this.)

Take Maui as an example. There are three types of people on Maui:
* Those that can easily afford to stay at place like Grand Wailea
* Those for who it's a stretch
* Those that can't afford it at all

The ones who can easily afford it likely have even nicer secluded places of their own and have no need for it.

For those where it would be a stretch, they're more likely to devote those dollars to a mainland trip.

Obviously those who are stuggling to get bye aren't going to book a week there

Most locals I know would have a tough time finding value in staying at such a place when they have access to the same beaches for free. They might treat themselves to a nice dinner or spa session there, but shelling out significant dollars to have a room and use the pool seems kinda silly. Another way of saying it; people who live in Hawaii typcially love the islands for things other than the high-end resorts.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:08 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post

Take Maui as an example. There are three types of people on Maui:
* Those that can easily afford to stay at place like Grand Wailea
* Those for who it's a stretch
* Those that can't afford it at all
Oh, really?

Old 06-18-2014, 09:07 AM

569 posts, read 780,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Oh, really?
Yeah, but that's probably true for anywhere you go; rich, comfortable, and tight budgets.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:25 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Although the hotels are occupied overwhelmingly by tourists whether that be the mainland or international, there are plenty of people who live in Hawaii who patronize the hotels listed above.

There are a ton of highly discounted rates available to people who work in the hospitality industry with a lot of reciprocity (hotel/airline/rental car) - although capacity controlled, my rate at the Grand Wailea is $159/night with waived resort/parking fees. There are also plenty of Kamaaina Rates to found although finding them in the summer is a lot harder than lets say October.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:08 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
We used to go "slumming" at the big hotels in Waikiki when I lived on a boat in the Ala Wai. A couple other boaties and I would wander off and hang out at the resort just as if we had a room there but at the end of the day we would go back to our boats. There are quite a few pools and hot tubs you can get to without having to show a room key. Although this was quite a few years ago, maybe they've tightened up pool security. In any case, you can eat at the hotels and walk the grounds without being an official hotel guest. You can also book the spa and other amenities as well. I guess it would be sort of "hotel lite" instead of the full service.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:06 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,324 times
Quote:
I know living in Hawaii is not this luxurious paradise, it's better actually than this paradise because of the people you meet and call friends and neighbors. It's more a paradise from within yourself.
But...when you have just about 10 days to honeymoon, then that Grand Wailea picturesque image will not wear old on you. Hence it is a honeymooners paradise but could also be a local Hawaiian's vacation, or if you live on a different island you may vacation on other islands you don't call home right?
I'm no Hawaii expert but I had the opportunity to stay next door of the Grand Wailea, at the Wailea Marriott. Given that the SW portion of Maui is the luxury/resort part (Kihei/Makena, right folks?), the experience was amazing, and you'll get to experience the best of the best. My wife and I talk about it practically every day and cannot wait to go back.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:46 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
We just flew a 747 (if I remember it right) to the mainland and there was turbulence on that. Some friends flew into Hawaii on a 777 and they said it was a very smooth flight. They had to fly into Honolulu first, though, and then take the smaller 747 between islands. So, your girlfriend might prefer the larger 777 to and from the mainland and then use Hawaiian Air between the islands since they fly larger planes. There might still be some turbulence but a similar sort of plan might lessen the possibility of it.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:03 AM

681 posts, read 1,206,773 times
I did the Mokulele Maui to Kona flight back in March. A couple of minor bumps here and there..nothing major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: