Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:13 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times

Advertisements

Suffice it to say, Hawaii did not do very well.

Here's What $100 Is Worth In Each State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 12:22 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
Connecticut right behind!

Yay home state! lol

Old 08-19-2014, 02:31 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times
Not too surprised by the list, except that Missouri is better then my home state Kansas. Also, Alaska isn't as bad as I thought, neither is Oregon.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:50 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
This is completely meaningless because it aggregates entire states. The biggest impact on cost of living is urban/rural/suburban NOT the state.

This is the worthless garbage we get when people who don't understand geography make maps.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:34 PM

308 posts, read 410,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Not too surprised by the list, except that Missouri is better then my home state Kansas. Also, Alaska isn't as bad as I thought, neither is Oregon.
Why would Oregon not be "as bad as I thought"? What does that mean--what are your stereotypes of Oregon? Just curious, as I am 3rd generation Oregon native, and I think it's a pretty cool place to live :-). I'm sure there are stereotypes about every state, including mine. I'm interested in hearing what your particular thoughts are, 'cause I'm nosy like that .

Yes, I know this is an old thread, but I am a new member, and am going through many threads, just to get some background and information on Hawaiian culture, attitudes, lifestyles, etc. Please be patient with me as I dredge through all this stuff .

Old 02-22-2015, 09:50 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times
I only meant in regards to cost of living, Oregon would be one of my top 3 states to live in.

I had some college friends who always remarked how much cheaper Kansas was then Oregon, not really surprising...

Old 02-23-2015, 06:59 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
New Slogan:

"Hawaii: Better bang for your buck than DC"

Old 02-23-2015, 10:11 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,112 times
Move to Wyoming, Idaho or Montana or how about Utah!!

Old 02-24-2015, 10:38 AM

268 posts, read 383,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Move to Wyoming, Idaho or Montana or how about Utah!!

You first!
Attached Thumbnails
Here's What 0 Is Worth In Each State-image.jpg  

Old 02-25-2015, 04:48 PM

308 posts, read 410,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I only meant in regards to cost of living, Oregon would be one of my top 3 states to live in.

I had some college friends who always remarked how much cheaper Kansas was then Oregon, not really surprising...
Ahhh.... gotcha. Oregon is a beautiful state, and full of almost as much variety in geography/topography as Hawaii. I've lived all over this large state during my 55 years. I like the coast the best :-). That said, although we don't have a sales tax, which I hear all the other states except for one other have, we DO have both income tax and property tax, unlike many states, which have one or the other, but rarely both. Politically, population-wise, we're mostly "blue". The "liberals" are mostly in the PDX metro area, and a couple of other outlying areas. The rest of the state is "red", and the "conservatives" hate that they don't have the numbers to override a relatively narrow area, geographically, when it comes to state-wide measures. Like what I seem to be seeing from many locals who post here on the Hawaii forum, Oregonians complain a lot about "outsiders" from places like California and other states where the residents make more money than we do, taking advantage of our lower real estate prices and moving to Oregon where they can get a real deal and have a nicer standard of living. They scoop up the nicest properties for more money than most Oregonians can afford (especially on the west side of the state, where the climate is more moderate than the east side, and where there are more jobs), which drives up property prices, and puts affordable housing out of the reach of many of us who were born and raised here. Since Oregon IS such a nice place to live, though, people keep coming, and eventually, they usually assimilate, embrace our culture, and enhance the state with their variety and willingness to become one of "us".

All in all, I think Oregon has a lot in common with Hawaii. IMHO, that's a good thing :-). You could do a lot worse than move here, if you ever have to leave Hawaii! Not that most people would even think about it, I imagine :-).

Last edited by Irish Eyes_Mrs. Z; 02-25-2015 at 04:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii