Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 11:34 AM

96 posts, read 112,846 times

Advertisements

I saw that Houston was above San Francisco, Seattle, Honolulu, Miami and Boston, and I had to go back to make sure I wasn't looking at an article in The Onion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 06:59 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsidem View Post
I saw that Houston was above San Francisco, Seattle, Honolulu, Miami and Boston, and I had to go back to make sure I wasn't looking at an article in The Onion.
Yeah, i thought the economist was suppposed to be better than american mags? Something broke in their intelligence unit if they think houston costs more than sf...

Old 04-25-2016, 12:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,809 times
Wow, it seems such interesting. I like that.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:07 AM

58 posts, read 46,955 times
In all the states Hawai'i ranked last for value for dollar earned vs cost of living. For each dollar a Hawai'i employee earns he or she only gets a .50 cent value for it. Dead last in America. Though somethings are visually more expensive on the islands like milk, rents and some goods. The real expense on the islands is the low wages, taxes vs cost of living. I can't speak for other countries and cities outside of the U.S because I've never lived in then. But comparing them maybe like comparing apples to oranges?

Old 04-27-2016, 11:49 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
From MN, lived in Minneapolis a good long time. The many many times I have been to Hawaii I didn't think it was that much more expensive than what I spend at home. It was bit more but not awful. Course I did not live in HI just vacationed so I can't comment on taxes and real estate. I tell friend and relatives here that it's not that expensive to go to Hawaii. I done it many times. I'm not surprised at the article.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:19 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalei View Post
In all the states Hawai'i ranked last for value for dollar earned vs cost of living. For each dollar a Hawai'i employee earns he or she only gets a .50 cent value for it. Dead last in America. Though somethings are visually more expensive on the islands like milk, rents and some goods. The real expense on the islands is the low wages, taxes vs cost of living. I can't speak for other countries and cities outside of the U.S because I've never lived in then. But comparing them maybe like comparing apples to oranges?
Oahu has, by far, the highest paid blue collar workforce in the nation. Virtually all fields related to construction here eclipse salaries in the mainland. This includes white collar workers in all fields of engineering, architecture, planning, etc. We have a high proportion of white and blue collar federal workers (incl military) on Oahu too... which get paid very well and are compensated quite generously for COL.

Teachers, cops, firefighters, etc are paid less than what they do in mainland states. As are many white collar professionals in industries like finance, medicine, IT, etc. But to put a blanket statement that every dollar earned here only goes HALF the distance as it would in an average US mainland city is just pure silliness.

With the exception of our high housing cost (which will never change as it is a result of high construction/permitting/material/labor cost and limited land), Honolulu is only marginally more expensive than most other big cities in the US.

Considering we are a tiny island smack in the middle of the world's largest ocean yet are more affordable than places like San Francisco and New York is shocking in itself.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Oahu has, by far, the highest paid blue collar workforce in the nation. Virtually all fields related to construction here eclipse salaries in the mainland. This includes white collar workers in all fields of engineering, architecture, planning, etc. We have a high proportion of white and blue collar federal workers (incl military) on Oahu too... which get paid very well and are compensated quite generously for COL.

Teachers, cops, firefighters, etc are paid less than what they do in mainland states. As are many white collar professionals in industries like finance, medicine, IT, etc. But to put a blanket statement that every dollar earned here only goes HALF the distance as it would in an average US mainland city is just pure silliness.

With the exception of our high housing cost (which will never change as it is a result of high construction/permitting/material/labor cost and limited land), Honolulu is only marginally more expensive than most other big cities in the US.

Considering we are a tiny island smack in the middle of the world's largest ocean yet are more affordable than places like San Francisco and New York is shocking in itself.
Don't take my word for it pj. Here's a few sources and there are others when I have more time to hunt them down.

Best States to Make a Living from MoneyRates.com

http://www.civilbeat.com/2015/07/liv...earn-a-living/

Pj you should also read the comments on the civil beat article too. So you also know it's not just my opinion.

And I was wrong it's 55 cents on a dollar.

Last edited by Kalei; 04-28-2016 at 05:35 PM..

Old 04-28-2016, 05:39 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Don't take my word for it pj. Here's a few sources and there are others when I have more time to hunt them down.

Best States to Make a Living from MoneyRates.com

Living Hawaii: The Nation

And I was wrong it's 55 cents on a dollar.
Had you actually read pj's post - you'd note he was referring to cities.

Quite frankly, any survey that so broadly attacks this at a state level is going to be seriously flawed.

Pj's original premise that Honolulu is less expensive than San Francisco or New York City is correct and its also correct that the statement is amazing considering Honolulu is in one of the most remote locations in the world.

The median single family home in San Francisco is a staggering $1.3 Million - even a condo in San Francisco has a median of over $1.1 Million

By comparison, the median home price in Honolulu is $730K and a condo is $370K

Lastly, this thread stated as a city thread not a state by state comparison.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Had you actually read pj's post - you'd note he was referring to cities.

Quite frankly, any survey that so broadly attacks this at a state level is going to be seriously flawed.

Pj's original premise that Honolulu is less expensive than San Francisco or New York City is correct and its also correct that the statement is amazing considering Honolulu is in one of the most remote locations in the world.

The median single family home in San Francisco is a staggering $1.3 Million - even a condo in San Francisco has a median of over $1.1 Million

Lastly, this thread stated as a city thread not a state by state comparison.

Ok let's compare city to city. Sf has higher rents and price for homes. Honolulu is higher for food and utilities and transportation. SF pays higher wages on average. Sf has higher sales tax but the GET tax is really not a sales tax per sa and is applied to almost everything and on average Honolulu residents pay more taxes per capita. Again it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Of course I can always be wrong I am making my opinions on my experience and from memory of past stats.

Here's a fun stat for you. Did you know Honolulu/Waikiki hotels rates are higher then S.F and N.Y.C too? Mahalo for the correction on city compression vs state. It was my bad

Last edited by Kalei; 04-28-2016 at 06:51 PM..

Old 04-28-2016, 07:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Ok let's compare city to city. Sf has higher rents and price for homes. Honolulu is higher for food and utilities and transportation. SF pays higher wages on average. Sf has higher sales tax but the GET tax is really not a sales tax per sa and is applied to almost everything and on average Honolulu residents pay more taxes per capita. Again it's like comparing apples to oranges.
Lets do some apples to apples on a city by city basis.

The median single family home in San Francisco is $1.3 Million - a condo in San Francisco has a median of over $1.1 Million

Household income is $78,378 in SF vs. $73,581 in Honolulu

Property tax in SF is over 1% of the value of the home - Honolulu is .35% (that makes a condo at the median at least $13,000/year in property tax vs. $2,000 or less for a median condo in Honolulu)

Those differences buy you a lot of electricity and food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: