Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 02:15 PM

22 posts, read 42,084 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear experiences from Black individuals and families living in Hawaii.

We are planning to move to the Big Island next year. One of our daughters we adopted is black, and I do have concerns about her general welfare. We are white, so it is extra important for us to have her in regular contact with other black folks to help her self confidence and understanding of all the nuances of being Black in America.

Obviously Hawaii is going to be a totally different ballgame. People of African descent are only a tiny percentage of the population. I want to know what your real experiences are--is there a difference in attitudes, racism, what is it really like?

Also, practical things. I'm concerned I won't be able to get the haircare items we need (although there is always shipping from the mainland) or have anyone to cornrow her hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 02:45 PM

163 posts, read 268,830 times
I moved to Hawaii as an adult, so I have no idea what it's like for a child. But Hawaii is one of the few places I can be the only black person in a room and not realize it until I see another black person. I didn't realize I was the only "full" black person at in my 20 person office until I saw a group picture of everyone at a holiday party. I grew up in a strong black community in Maryland so my black identity was easy to form, but I think it's more difficult in Hawaii because there is no place to experience the culture like on the mainland.

What's going on in the black community via social media and friends is very important to me. But, on the mainland, being part of the black community was a shield from the greater white society at large where I constantly had to prove myself and deal with microaggressions. Now I live without those things, so I don't need a black community to escape from it. TBH, I think you and your husband are more likely to experience prejudice here than your daughter.

As for hair products, I'm not sure about the BI. It's very easy on Oahu because most of the black people in the state live here. But some Polynesians have very curly textured hair, so the Walmart there may stock "ethnic" brands.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:34 PM

22 posts, read 42,084 times
I realize that we, and our white kids, are likely to experience prejudice in Hawaii. However, that doesn't concern me very much because I am secure and thick-skinned and I have understanding of all of the injustice and history behind the prejudice. That doesn't make it okay or easy, but I can work through those things from a place of mutual understanding with my white kids.

I can't provide my black daughter with a racial mirror, so of course I have more concerns with her developing a secure identity. It is good to hear that you have not experienced a lot of racial based prejudice in Hawaii. That would actually be refreshing--being multiracial we are a conspicuous family wherever we go, but I do have to say I have felt it less in Hawaii (as a visitor) than elsewhere. I am actually very concerned about her future in our community on the mainland, as we have been targeted by white supremacists and harassed greatly in the past year.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craezie View Post
Iam actually very concerned about her future in our community on the mainland, as we have been targeted by white supremacists and harassed greatly in the past year.

I often say I'm hiding down here. The only thing that concerns me is that my skin is getting thinner because I'm so shielded. If I ever go back to the mainland, it'll be a hard adjustment.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craezie View Post
One of our daughters we adopted is black, and I do have concerns about her general welfare. We are white, so it is extra important for us to have her in regular contact with other black folks to help her self confidence and understanding of all the nuances of being Black in America.
There is a grand total of about 1,600 Black people on the Big Island. Less than 1% of the population.

The odds of regular contact with other black folks are extremely low.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:29 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
Craezie, you are talking about moving to either the Kona or Hilo area for the Christian schools. So my experiences in rural Ka'u really won't be applicable to where you will probably settle. You might get more response from Kona/Hilo area focused forums, such as Konaweb and Punaweb.

FYI, here in Ka'u it really is a melting pot. There are black people, Portuguese, Filipino, Marshallese, Chinese, Japanese, native Hawaiian, etc. etc. The few black people here do seem to be well accepted in the community, especially since they are involved in many different groups and activities.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:04 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
One aspect to consider is a lot of other races can look black, really dark skin and same hair, unless your child is very ebony colored.

But if you want to ensure exposure to her race and culture that ain't going to happen in Hawaii.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-07-2017, 07:25 AM

416 posts, read 408,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
I moved to Hawaii as an adult, so I have no idea what it's like for a child. But Hawaii is one of the few places I can be the only black person in a room and not realize it until I see another black person. I didn't realize I was the only "full" black person at in my 20 person office until I saw a group picture of everyone at a holiday party. I grew up in a strong black community in Maryland so my black identity was easy to form, but I think it's more difficult in Hawaii because there is no place to experience the culture like on the mainland.

What's going on in the black community via social media and friends is very important to me. But, on the mainland, being part of the black community was a shield from the greater white society at large where I constantly had to prove myself and deal with microaggressions. Now I live without those things, so I don't need a black community to escape from it. TBH, I think you and your husband are more likely to experience prejudice here than your daughter.

As for hair products, I'm not sure about the BI. It's very easy on Oahu because most of the black people in the state live here. But some Polynesians have very curly textured hair, so the Walmart there may stock "ethnic" brands.
Genuinely curious. What’s a micro aggression in your scenario?

Old 10-07-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
Genuinely curious. What’s a micro aggression in your scenario?
Some I've actually experienced:

1. Assuming I'm "the help". No other race has mistaken me for an employee in a nice store except white people. No locals ever do that to me regardless of race.

2. Being told I "speak so well" out of surprise.

3. Seeing looks of shock and surprise when I saw I went to a top 20 school.

4. Trying to pat my hair without asking the same way someone would reach to pet an animal.

5. Assuming I can dance really well.

I haven't dealt with any of those since I moved here.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
One aspect to consider is a lot of other races can look black, really dark skin and same hair, unless your child is very ebony colored.
She may blend in visually, but she'll still be "the black girl" in her class or maybe even at her school. Seeing people who look like you and seeing people that are like you are two very different things. I volunteered at Shriners last Christmas and a lot of the Fijian people looked like they could be my relatives and that was cool. In some cases, they looked more like me than my light-skinned black friends and relatives. But I just felt like a black lady hanging around people who happened looked like me. I think the difference is that people don't take issue with me being black in the first place, so there was no discomfort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: