Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 10:09 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,875 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing how expensive hawaii is, and it makes me wonder how poverty-line level people survive there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 10:47 PM

518 posts, read 764,553 times
Probably not that much different than how poor people live in NYC, LA, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, etc. etc.

Likely a combination of hard work (multiple jobs, long/undesirable hours), charity/welfare from private and public organizations, shared spaces, limited food/housing/recreational activities, limited free time, and chronic financial stress month to month.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:12 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
Probably not that much different than how poor people live in NYC, LA, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, etc. etc.

Likely a combination of hard work (multiple jobs, long/undesirable hours), charity/welfare from private and public organizations, shared spaces, limited food/housing/recreational activities, limited free time, and chronic financial stress month to month.
All that and strong family ties ... typically more supportive than mainland families.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:27 AM

518 posts, read 764,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
All that and strong family ties ... typically more supportive than mainland families.
Absolutely true!!

Old 12-27-2017, 11:25 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Yup, pretty much needs either a pile of money or a group to get by well in Hawaii. In Hawaii, the groups are frequently referred to as a 'hui'. Way back when, some of the folks imported for working in the plantations would 'hui' together and then advance one of their members for the purpose of that hui member then being able to help the others.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:48 PM

36 posts, read 43,075 times
Hawaii are like Eastern Europe and South America. You have multiple generations living under one roof and apparently it’s completly normal here since bunch of the people do it. When I lived on mainland and told people I live under parents roof everybody thought I am crazy...

Old 01-09-2018, 05:01 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,237,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiboca View Post
Hawaii are like Eastern Europe and South America. You have multiple generations living under one roof and apparently it’s completly normal here since bunch of the people do it. When I lived on mainland and told people I live under parents roof everybody thought I am crazy...
meanwhile, in New Jersey...http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ic144611-a.jpg

Old 01-09-2018, 06:20 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,520,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I keep hearing how expensive hawaii is, and it makes me wonder how poverty-line level people survive there?
Is Hawaii a Sanctuary City? Usually, Sanctuary cities have lots of goodies in place to help poor people, for example: New York City, being a Sanctuary city, has loads of rent subsidized buildings where the rent is kept at a minimum for people of low income or the rent will go up very minimally per year. They have also have lots of laws to protect the poor, and immigrants, which this is made possible through government grants.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:23 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
Well quite a few leave and go to the mainland for work. Los Vegas has a rather large Hawaiian population.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:01 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Is Hawaii a Sanctuary City? Usually, Sanctuary cities have lots of goodies in place to help poor people, for example: New York City, being a Sanctuary city, has loads of rent subsidized buildings where the rent is kept at a minimum for people of low income or the rent will go up very minimally per year. They have also have lots of laws to protect the poor, and immigrants, which this is made possible through government grants.
Well, Hawaii is a state that consists of multiple islands, all of which are different counties and are governed somewhat differently. The state of Hawaii is not a sanctuary state, nor - as far as I know - none of the counties are sanctuary counties.

The whole island of Oahu is the 'City & County of Honolulu', so counties are the smallest form of government we have. I guess with no legal cities, then no Sanctuary Cities?

Honolulu would be the only city in the state and unless it is, we don't have any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii