Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Hawaii: real estate, housing, traffic, get a job, realtor.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 03:51 AM

4 posts, read 8,067 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
Let me bring you up to speed... I am 20 yrs old and a current student at UC (university of Cincinnati) IT’S HORRIBLE!!! I need palm trees, sand, aloha spirit!!! I have made up my mind that I am going to move... sometime... hopefully ASAP! My girlfriend is coming with me so that should help with the rent as we will be splitting everything down the middle

After doing a bit o' research I’ve realized that Oahu is probably the best Island to move to (for beauty, jobs, cheap housing?)
Maybe I am wrong... That's why I am posting this

I’ve been looking on craigslist.com for apartments... I would like to only spend $700 -$850
For the cheaper Apartments are there any "bad" communities near or in Honolulu? I'm having my classic 73' MGB shipped over and I’d like for it not to be stolen, loll
Hopefully I can get a job in Honolulu but I’d rather not considering the traffic is horrid, but it's obvious that living expenses in HAWAII are a bit more then Cincinnati, so a good paying job is necessary.
I don’t really care how hard I work as long as it's only 40 hrs a week so I can spend at least some time with my girlfriend.

A county job would be nice!! Are they readily available?

If we both work 40 hrs a week earning about 5,000 a month could we survive?!

Oh! One more thing… We have had a bakery in our family since 1950 and I was thinking about opening one in Honolulu… maybe buying out an existing bakery?
Is there a need for bakeries in Honolulu or anywhere on Oahu?

Oh' I hope so...
I need to get out of Cincinnati.
Help!!

Mahalo!

Last edited by Dplazarin; 01-09-2007 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: messed up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 01:50 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,269,988 times
Before deciding to move to O'ahu it might be helpful if you peruse a copy of Toni Polancy's "So You Want to Live in Hawai'i: A Guide to Settling and Succeeding in the Islands." Next, I recommend a one or two month extended visit. Living in Hawai'i is quite different from a one or two week vacation.

Cheers,

Jonah K

Old 01-09-2007, 04:25 PM

4 posts, read 8,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Before deciding to move to O'ahu it might be helpful if you peruse a copy of Toni Polancy's "So You Want to Live in Hawai'i: A Guide to Settling and Succeeding in the Islands." Next, I recommend a one or two month extended visit. Living in Hawai'i is quite different from a one or two week vacation.

Cheers,

Jonah K
I have ordered it,

Thank you!!

Any other suggestions?

Old 01-25-2007, 11:09 PM

259 posts, read 1,919,145 times
jonah...couldn't agree with you more...wish we would have tried the "extended vacation" thing ourselves...i did read the book and still moved...i wish we would have considered other options we had at the time a bit more...with the money we would have saved living in a nice area on the mainland, we could have visited HI three times a year! live and learn....I guess!!.... we make around $90,000 a year and still struggle here...not to mention the equity we sunk into a house here from CA that has stayed the same in value over the last year.....everything is very expensive in HI...

Old 01-26-2007, 09:18 AM

41 posts, read 173,922 times
I completely agree that if you are going to Hawai'i to escape city living, you should consider an extended stay before abandoning Ohio for good.

Have you considered going to the U of HI at Manoa? It is essentially downtown and the tuition among the most reasonable once you establish in state tuition. While the island has plenty of labor available, there is always a shortage of professionals, so having that degree under your belt can definitely help you in the local job market.

If you are serious about starting/buying a bakery, you'll need to do your homework. There are several mom & pop types about plus a few mainland chains that have come in. The cost of doing business in HI is high because of real estate and the prices of wholesale goods. Remember that everything has to be shipped in. I would suggest working in first working in the industry and building a relationship with one of the banks. Start learning about business plans, bank loans, local taxes, etc.

As for the Aloha spirit, it is alive and well, but there is also an undercurrent of problems that come with the island's diversity - and poverty. While it is no doubt an incredibly beautiful place, living there comes with its share of problems and if it is city life that is getting to you, then you may want to consider somewhere besides Honolulu. If you are planning on making this your permanent home, then crime, schools, cost of home purchasing should all be among your considerations too and you might want to think about living on another island. Honolulu is just like any other city these days - traffic, crime, pollution, homeless, school problems, etc. which become more apparent if you are living there every day. Don't get me wrong - there is no doubt that it is an amazing locale but if you are moving to escape the hassles of city life, then you may be a little disappointed living in Honolulu proper.

As for housing, it is no doubt costly compared to where you are living now, and you will definitely want to thoroughly check out the areas before you sign any leases. Theft and parking can sometimes be issues. Are you thinking of one or two areas in particular?

If you want to make it work, it is definitely achievable. We first moved there when we were in our twenties, my husband was a young professional and I was a college student with a part time job. We were able to rent a couple of nice houses in Aiea and Makakilo (though it mean commuting) and still managed to have plenty of time for the things we loved like diving and traveling to the outer islands. We cut corners by shopping at farmers markets, eating in and driving inexpensive cars, but we made it work. Best of all, the beaches are free and there are scores of them! Good luck!

Old 01-27-2007, 01:06 AM

13 posts, read 159,962 times
Why not look at the rest of hawaii? Oahu is the most expensive place to live, and the most congested island with the highest housing prices.

That said if you have never been to hawaii or gone to the different islands, you should do that first.

My wife and me visited several of the islands starting in 1990 and went to different cities until we found a place we liked and then we came back there every year for a few years before making the move. And now we would never live anywhere else.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:13 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,345,181 times
I too would recommend spending some time here first. Your MG won't do well here. Your Lucas Electrical will all go to crap within a few months and your car will be basically undrivable. I know this from experience, I shipped my little blue wonder over...With the high humidity they aren't even close to reliable. I know a little about Cincinnati as one of my friends lives there. I can't believe how cheap your rent and houses are. I can't rent a parking space for what you guys pay for an apartment. I don't blame you for wanting to move. One thing I can't impress on you more is the amount of money it will take for you to live here. It isn't just rent. Literally everything you buy will be outrageously expensive compared to your city. Many come here and end up living in squalor, depressed because they struggle and can't seem to find the way out. Will this happen to you? That's up to you. About 875 will get you a tiny, cockroach infested studio.5000 a month will get you by fine if you live frugally. Another issue I'll address is Rock Fever. Many get here, struggle to live and don't have the money to go "home" for visits. People go mad over this.

Read everything you can and scour the net. I'm a Realtor and 3/4 of the people I see move here go back within 2 years, most within the first year. You may come out here and never leave. You may be like the rest and decide it's just an extended vacation. You square state people tend to like it here more.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,157 times
Exclamation Dont Do It!!!!

I am sorry to be the one to come right out and say it but, you really should reconsider. I lived in California before coming to Hawaii, and I thought CA was expensive. I came over while in the military, I am out now, make about $62,000 a year (myself). I would have never believed anyone who told me that would not be enough money. With gas at $3.70 a gal, milk at $6-7 a gal and $1400/mo rent (if you want a small, no amenities townhouse/apt where there is not a drug dealer/hooker/crack house next door). Auto insurance is through the roof because you cant leave your car parked... pretty much anywhere (except in a locked garage) without chance of being broken into or ripped off. Ex. house broken into, car stolen and egged 3x's, and broken into 4 x's, oh and I have only lived here 7 years. Unless you live close to where you work, you will not aviod traffic. There are only 3 fwy's to get around on and 1 hwy that circles the island. If there is a bad accident on Fwy expect to be stuck for HOURS. Typical commute from Mililani to Honolulu (about 18 miles) 1hr 20 minutes each way . If you thinking of buying a house, think about $500,000 (and it will be small and old compared to rest of the US) $300,000 for that same 750 sq ft 2bdrm twnhouse. For anyone who reads this that is going to say "Well if you hate it so much why do you stay?" I married someone from Hawaii who refuses to consider living anywhere else. How can you blame him, he thinks he lives in "paradise".

Old 03-07-2007, 10:44 PM

13 posts, read 159,962 times
Hawaii is paradise, but a lot of that depends on where you live. Oahu (to me)is not paradise, it is San Diego/Los Angeles with New York or San Francisco prices. I would never live there. If you really want out of the rat race move to the big island, but unless you are used to New York or Los Angeles prices, be ready for sticker shock.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:12 PM

259 posts, read 1,919,145 times
It Will Be Hard To Park Your Car, If You Bring A Third Car.....if You Get An Apt. In A Building Forget It....parking Is Very Limited. I Have A Friend That Pays A Private Party To Park His Car On Their Property For $150 Mo. And He Has To Drive 20 Min. To It Whenever He Wants To Drive It.......everything You Read In The Book You Ordered Is True!....i'll Say It Again... "it's A Nice Place To Visit, But Wouldn't Want To Live There"....we're Another 2 Yr. Stat Of Leaving The Island...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: