Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 11:52 AM

6 posts, read 14,607 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning to move to Oahu next year and we are looking for a good town to live in thats not only a nice safe place to live, but also one that has good schools. Both of my sons are autistic and need special education. They are both very active kids and need a place with a fenced in yard. So a small town with mostly single family homes, possibly within walking distance to a beach would be great. My kids love the water. Any advice anyone could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 11:33 PM

227 posts, read 918,955 times
I do not think this would be the best place to take 2 autistic kids for school. The public school system is one of the worst in the country and I could only imagine that there would be no special teachers for handicapped kids.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:11 PM

4,800 posts, read 3,511,121 times
Well, unless you go private, you get pretty bad schooling. We live in Mililani Town and are 4 blocks from the town center, and 6 blocks from the elementary school and high school, as I have one in both. The Elementary is very good, but the high school is pretty bad. I have VA/NY/AL/CA and SC backgrounds in education. This place really needs to have the parents get involved, which my wife does.

Most housing is close to beach, but to be able to walk to a beach you will pay. A friend of ours has an autistic son, and the state doesnt help at all.
My niece lives in Jersey, and she is autistic, and the state really takes great care of her.

Last edited by 7th generation; 09-28-2008 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: no advertising. use DM feature to contact other members.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:23 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,750 times
I second Steve40th, but (full disclosure) I live on Maui and have no children in the schools. The education system here (statewide) is very poor -- regularly ranked in the bottom 5 or 6 among all states. I can only imagine that it is similar for special needs kids. I would definitely do more research and visit the specific schools you anticipate entering your children into before thinking about moving. These years are really critical to your children's skills and social development, and I would not assume anything based on your mainland experience and perceptions.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:52 PM

4 posts, read 14,041 times
Default My Experience Applying to Private School (Autistic Son)

My son is also autistic. He is going to public school because he was able to get into their Special ED Pre-school. For severely autistic children, Loveland Academy is the best bet. They are located in Honolulu. (www.lovelandacademy.hawaii.com) Other than Loveland, the private schools don't want autistic children. They don't have the staff and/or the desire to deal with such children.
For my experience applying to Punahou for my son, please visit my blog: http://punahouadmission.blogspot.com "Punahou School: Admissions Process for Kindergarten" OR http://punahoupuns.blogspot.com "For Parents of Kindergarteners: Applying to Punahou." Good Luck to you!

Last edited by Punahou Puns; 06-12-2012 at 03:01 PM..

Old 06-12-2012, 03:46 PM

219 posts, read 497,422 times
There are 2 other special schools on Oahu that specialize in autism: Trumpet Academy. There is one in Honolulu and Kunia. The company website is Trumpet Behavioral Health, Applied Behavior Analysis Experts, ABA Therapy for Autism and Related Disorders

Old 06-12-2012, 03:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Thanks for your contribution. You may not get a response since that post was 4 years old, but maybe it will benefit someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii