Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,648 times

Advertisements

Aloha as they say,

I'm a high school science teacher with 6 years experience applying to work in Hawaii. What preferences should I have among the following districts...

Honolulu District
Punahou St.-Hawaii Kai
Kalihi St.-Punahou St.

Central District
Moanalua-Waimalu
Mililani-Waialua

Leeward District
Pearl City-Campbell
Nanaikapono-Makaha

Windward District
Waimanalo-Waiahole
Kaaawa-Kahuku

MAUI DISTRICT
MAUI ISLE
MOLOKA
LANAI

I've done some research here, but these district names don't match up with city names.

I'd like to avoid working in districts with a lot of discipline problems. I've been in those situations before.

Thanks in advance for any help & if there's anything you want to know about Pittsburgh I've lived here for 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
get on a plane, come to hawaii and get a feel for the islandS. You are stepping into a common trap that many peoplke step into, not understanding how Hawaii is layed out. The only real city in Hawaii is Honolulu, everything else is just geographical areas. The first 4 are on the island of Oahu and are like saying Downtown, Near the River, Over by the Lake, Around the Airport. Maui is its own island and the three sub locations are Maui island itself, Lanai which is its own island that happens to be part of Maui County, just like Molokai is a completely seperate island but under maui district.

If you get a job on Lanai or Molokai, hope you can give up just about everything you come to want from modern living.

If you want to be on Oahu, look on Oahu. Many people have taken jobs on one island only to find out they dont like that island because they were thinking Honolulu and where they are aint like Honolulu.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:41 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Hawaii is ONE school district spread out amongst ALL the islands. You have to understand that to start with.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:41 AM

28 posts, read 69,769 times
Visit the areas and check local listings for housing. You want to live reasonably close to where you will work if possible cause traffic can be long.

Teachers are dealing with furloughs and cutbacks, so check out the situation carefully before you choose a school / district! As well, housing is REALLY expensive here, so check local listings for rentals that you can afford and get the job FIRST before coming!

Old 01-22-2010, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 5,648 times
All great advice, thanks for your time and insights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii