Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:50 AM

190 posts, read 848,640 times

Advertisements

This may sound like it's coming from way out in left field, but is it possible, because of the high housing costs, to live in a nice RV in Oahu or Maui? Anything from this:

Country Coach Veranda - This Changes Everything

to this:

2008 Jamboree GT Models : Fleetwood RV

Old 07-21-2008, 10:42 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyT View Post
This may sound like it's coming from way out in left field, but is it possible, because of the high housing costs, to live in a nice RV in Oahu or Maui? Anything from this:

Country Coach Veranda - This Changes Everything

to this:

2008 Jamboree GT Models : Fleetwood RV
Uh, no.

If you've been to Hawaii you know there is NO RV'ing. And you know that living in an RV in the Hawaiian climate would rust and corrode your vehicle's systems in a heartbeat anyway. As well as being near-unbearable in other ways I won't bother to list. And: There are no RV parks. And: The campgrounds do not accommodate.

I am curious, from reading your posts and questions: what is it exactly about Hawaii that lures you for your retirement dream? I think I recall you are living in So. Cal.? Having lived in both California and Hawaii at times in my own past, the concerns you raise in your questions have me curious about what specifics attract you to Hawaii over where you are.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:37 PM

202 posts, read 1,075,201 times
I did a search and came up with some rv parks on big island and a place that rents them. I'm not sure how up to date they are.
Hawaii RV Parks
Island RV - Kona Hawaii Motor Home Rentals Hawaii, Kona Beach Shack, Affordable Island RV Airport Shuttle - Kona Hawaii Activities

Old 07-21-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenofsix View Post
I did a search and came up with some rv parks on big island and a place that rents them. I'm not sure how up to date they are.
Hawaii RV Parks
Island RV - Kona Hawaii Motor Home Rentals Hawaii, Kona Beach Shack, Affordable Island RV Airport Shuttle - Kona Hawaii Activities
Yes — you CAN rent small RV's on several of the Islands.
No — there are NO RV Parks ... as in places to live.

No — there are not even any State or National or Private Parks with hook-ups that cater to RV's as people on the mainland are accustomed to using. (There are a few operators renting a few small RV's ... but there are few places one can camp with them at all. A number of parks specifically forbid them, in fact.)

Yes — a person COULD buy an RV of any size and cost on the mainland and ship it over and park it on a piece of purchased land in certain, limited areas (i.e. Puna District, Big Island). You might even find a used camping trailer or two for sale on the Hawaii Craig's List from time to time. A few people have brought them over to live in while they build their homesteads (again: think Puna, B.I.)
Yes — you are nuts to go that route. And I don't think that's what the OP had in mind.

Yes — there are reasons for this reality.
No — I won't bother going into them.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:31 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,202 times
Default Not a good idea

And I agree, nullgeo, for reasons we need not contemplate here. I couldn't tell if the OP wanted a nomadic existence, wandering from beautiful place to beautiful place. (Impractical and probably illegal.)

I can't imagine why anyone would buy an RV just to park it. Better to convert a shipping container, or so says Bob Vila. Building a Container House
Or buy a kit house and build it. Like Tumbleweed Tiny House Company or Haiku Houses

In all my years on Maui, I've only seen three (different) RVs. One semi-permanently parked (illegally) in a Lahaina parking lot. Another one presumably broken down along Honoapiilani Hwy. near Puamana. (It was there for about a month.) And one -- only one EVER -- actually rolling along the highway and not looking like the wheels might fly off.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
And I agree, nullgeo, for reasons we need not contemplate here. I couldn't tell if the OP wanted a nomadic existence, wandering from beautiful place to beautiful place. (Impractical and probably illegal.) ...
... In all my years on Maui, I've only seen three (different) RVs. One semi-permanently parked (illegally) in a Lahaina parking lot. Another one presumably broken down along Honoapiilani Hwy. near Puamana. (It was there for about a month.) And one -- only one EVER -- actually rolling along the highway and not looking like the wheels might fly off.
Hahahahaha ... and you can imagine how many wheels would be flying off of shabby RV's in Hawaii if they WERE common in local, "getting by on getting by", culture. (as reflected by the condition of many da kine automobile "condo" "residences" along a number of the beach highways and back streets of Oahu!)

As for the OP's reason for inquiry, previous posts indicate he is merely trying to figure out a clever angle for retiring to Hawaii affordably ... not nomadic desire. I wish him luck where the rest of us poor chickens have failed to solve the mysteries — other than by altering lifestyle to suit the conditions. Keep thinking ... but don't give yourself a migrane ... surf's up ... wouldn't want to miss a wave because of a bad head

Old 07-22-2008, 01:55 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
My dad lives in a retirement RV park on the mainland and we don't have anything even close to that here. There is a place in the Kona district which rents out RVs but they are for tourists to take around to the different beach parks and they are very noticeable. No hiding one of those. I think there may be a dozen of them on the island and I have no idea where they take the lua to clean it out since there are no RV facility sort of places around here. Perhaps the folks who rent them out have some sort of pumping facility.

There are a few trailers (mobile homes? manufactured houses? I'm not sure of the mainland terms) which are mainly used as temporary construction offices at jobsites. I haven't seen anyone living in one anywhere and there are no trailer parks at all. The were illegal for years and years, I don't know if they have changed the laws or not.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:18 PM

190 posts, read 848,640 times
Okay, chiming in. What attracts me to Hawaii? Climate at the top of the list. I'm tired of bundling up in winter and then being locked up in summer. The other reasons are well-represented by other posters. Looking for a short-cut? Well, yes and no. On the mainland lots of people retire and travel in Rv's. Why not Hawaii I figure, but some have mentioned good reasons for no way. Seems the only island that this is practical is the Big Isle but that's my least favorite island solely because of the vog (serious threat to health). True, the house prices are ridiculous and it'd be nice to drive around the island and then park on a beach for the night, but.....too impractical it seems.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:08 PM

156 posts, read 805,572 times
Nice weather? How about to move to Caribbeans? Seriously! I been on lots of Caribbean islands. Nice weather, close to mainland, a LOT CHEAPER living. Take Aruba or Bonaire. Not third world, very nice locals. BTW: I know people who retire up there and love it.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyT View Post
Okay, chiming in. What attracts me to Hawaii? Climate at the top of the list. I'm tired of bundling up in winter and then being locked up in summer. The other reasons are well-represented by other posters. Looking for a short-cut? Well, yes and no. On the mainland lots of people retire and travel in Rv's. Why not Hawaii I figure, but some have mentioned good reasons for no way. Seems the only island that this is practical is the Big Isle but that's my least favorite island solely because of the vog (serious threat to health). True, the house prices are ridiculous and it'd be nice to drive around the island and then park on a beach for the night, but.....too impractical it seems.
I see. Easy to fall in love with the Hawaiian climate, all right. But I thought I recalled you saying, in an earlier post, different subject, that you lived in the L.A. area? No "bundle up" winter there, if so. And the summers on Oahu are near 90* and humid, you know? Nearly 5* higher than the average L.A. mid-summer temp. Maybe I am mistaken about where you would be leaving.

Anyway, climate is why LOTS of people desire to live on California's coast, Arizona, Florida, Hawaii, etc. But only California and Hawaii don't get totally out of control with the heat. So those two places get out of control with other costs due to the competition for living space. And THAT is why Hawaii has deliberately created limiting systems for camping and RVing. It is not even practical on Big Island — or about a bazillion people would be there doin' it. The Hawaiian tourism industry want only a marketing executive's dream: "Salesmen want to know how many widgets they can sell for how little ... Marketing execs want to know how few they can sell for how much." The tourism industry drives Hawaii like billionaires drive Ferrari's. They want as few people as they can squeeze gobs of money out of. It won't do to have the State crawling with Hostelers and Campers. They need to fill luxury suites ONLY! Regular folks, like you and me are an aggravation.

By the way, VOG is not hardly an issue on the north half of the B.I. Only very occasionally does the wind allow the VOG to drift north.

Good luck, dude. It is one tough coconut to crack for a nice retirement over there unless you don't want much that you have been accustomed to on the mainland ... which, to my thinking, is a good thing ... but each to his own.

If you are willing to leave the country altogether, check out Guadalajara, Mexico ... what a stupendous climate! Wonderful folks! Not a tourist-driven economy. Modern. Fun. Affordable. Safe. Gorgeous place. Classy and cultured, even (which is NOT true of Hawaii, btw, if you are looking for European-type traditional arts, music, etc). Quite a lot of Americans living around Guadalajara, both in expat. communities and mixed in with the locals. Can't beat it with a stick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii