Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:52 PM
jde

19 posts, read 67,022 times

Advertisements

No thanks! Sounds like fun but I don't know if my heart could take a whale following me! I bet you have extended your life by years and years living in Hawaii. Were you born there? Here in the midwest you curl up in the house in the winter with stews and roasts. Baking cookies and brownies all the time. In the summer it's so humid, same thing, everybody runs outside when the sun goes down. It cools down just a bit.
I used to kick box and right now not doing any exercise. You have to make an effort to exercise here. In HI it just happens! I'd trade the occasional Cardinal baseball game, Rams game for a glimpse at the HI skies any day. It isn't for everybody, but it is for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,912 times
I disagree with the manner in which manoagirl expressed her views.....Im proud to call mysef a local.....WE MUST NOT FORGET !!! WE ARE A MELTING POT.......MY family is a mixture of several different cultures and life has taught me that people are people we are all just trying to survive in this world including these immigrants.......Im sure they have families like the rest of us.....I dont feel that this is their fault.....The issue is not immigrants but renegade developers and contractors who come from outside of Hawaii or the United States and ignore the longstanding sense of fair play to which most in the local industry subscribe.We must not use racist tactics that the haole have used for centuries on the mainland.....We must never spread hate !!! That is not ourway.....We are a kind people...A good people !!!!
Hawaii's labor movement is a rich tradition of equality and social justice driven by a diverse collection of ethnic minorities. When we look at the current ranks of Hawaii's construction unions, the majority of their memberships reflect people of color -- Hawaiians, Samoans, Filipinos, Japanese, Chinese and Mexicans alike. We must get tough on renegade developers and contractors who come from outside of Hawaii or the United States and give immigrants work....Thats how this issue needs to be resolved !!!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:45 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Hipmom ... reading your laundry list of what you'd like in a place for your family ... have you considered the great state of Maine? ... seriously, I have lived in the Bay area, Puget Sound, Hawaii, and Maine (and Philadelphia, D.C., and Detroit, and Minnesota). I understand completely your aversion to what coastal California has evolved to be. I understand completely the allure of Hawaii, including the historical reputation of its culture. You are not likely to find your zone in Hawaii. Your husband's background as a nose-to-the-grindstone hardworking construction guy from S. Dakota isn't a match, for starters.

Maine is safe (2nd lowest crime of all states), family-oriented, very quiet and very relaxed. Its winters aren't nearly as bad as the Dakota's. Its summers aren't nearly as hot as the Dakota's, or even Hawaii. It's knock-your-socks-off beautiful, small town oriented living. The really great news is that it's not growing and developing much (like Puget Sound, California, and Hawaii) ... downright sleepy ... Bad news is: it's not growing and developing much — so finding work for your husband is somewhat limited. But a hard-working tradesman will find himself in demand before too long almost anyplace — even in Hawaii.

good luck leaving the Bay

Old 01-04-2009, 01:47 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,542 times
Aloha everyone
My wife and I own a place in Kihei we are getting ready to move there in march from Oregon I am a builder here.
I want to start a maintenance company in Kihei and what i would like to know is there still plenty of work as far as condo and home rental maintenance?
I also looked into getting licensed in Hawaii but I am not ready to do that yet I wanted to stay small for while.
I have friends in Maui & Ohau they are the people that talked me into buying a place in Maui last year they told me that as good as i am in the construction trade that I should have no problem getting plenty of work is this true?
Mahalo Rick

Old 01-04-2009, 02:04 PM

421 posts, read 2,534,452 times
Yea, those local boys can stay in hawaii but I can tell you right now if you came over to the northeast portion of the united states, and I mean Philly, NJ, NY or anywhere else you wouldn't get hired, in fact, you'd have to join a union first and good luck with that. Come to the northeast where there are plenty of jobs.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:36 PM

42 posts, read 272,063 times
Hey hipmom, just wanted to say, I relate so much to your post! I am in central PA, which is way cheaper than California, and my husband does electrical work. I'm at home with a 1 year old and 4 year old, and a baby due in May. We NEVER see him - he works 12-15 hours a day, whether he wants to or not. Central PA is definitely NOT "hip" in any way, and we're barely getting by, even with lower east coast living. All I want is to have a decent life, where my husband can be home in the afternoon and have dinner with the kids and me, maybe spend some time with him before bed... Not have to see him so incredibly exhausted from working so hard - he's one like yours - he'll work himself to death for his family. This culture just SUCKS - it is obscene that someone could work so hard and still be so broke and receive almost no benefits from work. He doesn't even get paid vacation or anything, and health care premiums are outrageous. I'd love to live somewhere kind, gentle, with a strong community where people value living over compulsively working. And preferably not freezing cold... But it seems like anywhere like that - like some great place in Hawaii, California, etc - are so godawful expensive, it's impossible to even think of moving there. I used to live in Madison, WI, and it was a wonderful community, but again, FREEZING FREEZING cold from December to March...ugh...

Anyway, I relate, and wish you best blessings in finding your peace in this madness... Feel free to "befriend" me if you'd like to comiserate!

Old 02-01-2011, 04:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,079 times
i am actively looking for a living wage,construction job on the big island.i have been there the past 6 decembers and am ready to make the move.i have 40+ years in all phases of home and light commercial construction.is there a good job finding resource on the big island?steve daugherty
[email]stevedawgd@aol.com[/email]
thanks

Old 04-21-2011, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 973 times
I understand what you are saying about the union jobs, etc. My husband is the hardest working man I have ever met, truck driving, equipment operator, etc but he has never had college studies for anything. Back when he was younger ( he is 48 this year ), college wasn't a main concern over taking care of a family ( he helped his mom out because his dad was not around to help). I live in minnesota and even for him to get a job in the mines ( we are in mining country) is tough because of the lack of schooling. They will take a 22 year old with an AA degree over someone like my husband who has 25+ experience with their kind if equipment. I don't think that speaks very highly of that trade because to me I would rather have someone who KNOWS what they are doing versus someone who just graduated with an AA in say, Art! Its crazy but that is how it is. I am a nurse, 20 years now, but am back in school for my RN and am hoping to find a job in Hawaii where my daughter and husband are moving in about 5 years. Hopefully my husband will be semi-retired by then and will not have to worry about working in Hawaii, but if he does, it could pose a problem, I am assuming according to what you said about local hiring first. Or, did I not understand this correctly? Maybe I will be able to get a job easier down there as a Nurse Practitioner versus an RN? Just curious. Would you know anything about that? If I could find a job as an NP, my hubby wouldhn't have to work anyway. ( I plan on working toward my NP and becoming one in the next 5 years or less....just in time for our kids to move to Hawaii)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii