Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe Hawaii's economy will turnaround in the next 12 months?
Yes 8 16.67%
NO 40 83.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:30 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times

Advertisements

It will take more than a day or two for the tide to turn, IMHO. In order to determine if there are less tourists or not, you have to know what the boom times look like. When there's hardly any room for another beach towel on the beach, crowds up and down the sidewalks, herds of tourists following the flag held by their leader, etc. That's what boom time looks like. Could you walk easily on the sidewalk? Did you have to wait in a line anywhere? Was parking hard to find?

In a fifty percent downturn, there are still half the people there so it doesn't look dead, but it generally takes more than that fifty percent to keep all the businesses open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 11:33 PM

287 posts, read 1,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
It will take more than a day or two for the tide to turn, IMHO. In order to determine if there are less tourists or not, you have to know what the boom times look like. When there's hardly any room for another beach towel on the beach, crowds up and down the sidewalks, herds of tourists following the flag held by their leader, etc. That's what boom time looks like. Could you walk easily on the sidewalk? Did you have to wait in a line anywhere? Was parking hard to find?

In a fifty percent downturn, there are still half the people there so it doesn't look dead, but it generally takes more than that fifty percent to keep all the businesses open.
I agree with you hotzcatz...but the tide has to turn sometime and do you see and signs of an uptrend?

Old 03-17-2009, 07:16 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHa View Post
I was talking to a real estate agent who is a friend of mine and he indicated that March home sales are nearly double that of February so far...this is not saying much since February sales were dismal...but still it just might be the start...thoughts?
Home sales may have doubled - but is that due to the buying of foreclosed properties at bargain prices?

Old 03-17-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Home sales may have doubled - but is that due to the buying of foreclosed properties at bargain prices?
But isn't that how the economy begins to rebound. Those that have the money start buying....

Old 03-18-2009, 12:06 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Might be a few folks spending tax return money, might be a few folks desperate to get out of the cold. The prices have lowered, but I suspect they will still go lower. I'm not, of course, a real estate salesperson or have anything to do with real estate other than help folks who are building houses on the property they have already bought, but it seems we aren't at a bottom yet. Most of the houses I see selling are the ones that have had really reduced prices.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:27 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Might be a few folks spending tax return money, might be a few folks desperate to get out of the cold. The prices have lowered, but I suspect they will still go lower. I'm not, of course, a real estate salesperson or have anything to do with real estate other than help folks who are building houses on the property they have already bought, but it seems we aren't at a bottom yet. Most of the houses I see selling are the ones that have had really reduced prices.
I agree. Having been involved in both California and Hawaii Real Estate (as an owner) for over forty years, I have seen the turns (both up and down) in Hawaii follow the turns in California by about two years.

In my opinion, California Real Estate is near the bottom right now.

Hank

Old 03-18-2009, 11:02 PM

I agree hank that it is the bottom. Have you seen signs of positive change?

Old 03-18-2009, 11:33 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,330 times
So you think HI RE will be going down for two more years?

Wow, good thing we're staying a while.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:58 AM

682 posts, read 2,794,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
So you think HI RE will be going down for two more years?

Wow, good thing we're staying a while.
I was just thinking the same thing!

Old 03-19-2009, 02:30 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,303,674 times
The links below are to information from Paul Brewbaker, until recently the Chief Economist at Bank of Hawaii...

The first link is a news article summarizing comments he made in Feb '09.
The second is to one of the last reports he presented in '08.
The last link is to his biography, still on the BoH website.

There are a lot of people in business here who have high regard for his "predictions".

Links:
Brewbaker: Sickly economy to stick around a bit longer - Mauinews.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Visitor's Information - The Maui News

https://www.boh.com/econ/reports/econ111708.pdf (Pretty detailed stuff, but there are some summary sections that are particularly interesting.)

https://www.boh.com/econ/512_538.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii