Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 03:51 PM

78 posts, read 193,508 times

Advertisements

But i would choose Hawaii over Florida any day. Hawaii is cleaner.. more tropical paradise with exotic plants and BEAUTIFUL BEACHES!!! Florida to me seems more like that Caribbean tropical feel rather than a paradise...

TO ME.. its like this

Florida = Latino, tropical, hot

Hawaii = Exotic, more islander/asian feel, hot, a real paradise.. its like one big whole zen garden lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 04:44 PM

119 posts, read 376,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGirl13 View Post
Can I have your bill? I live in Jax Beach and pay $350/month for a 1200sf house... with auto-temp (65night) 68-70 winter and 74-78 in the summer. With energy efficient appliances and light bulbs, etc... wow - wish I had your bill!
OMG that will kill me! I paid electricity $250/mo for 1600sqf apartment in IL, and that was already way too much for us. The tower was built in the 80s apparently the insulation was not that great.

Now I live in Miami city in a brand new highrise with hurricane proof floor to ceiling windows, I guess the appliances also energy efficient not sure they come with the apartment, changed all the light bulbs and set auto temp 70ºF, there were months in 2009 we paid only $47-50 including tax, but last months the bill was up to $120 because of the cold snap.

My neighbors didn't change the light bulbs (in our building standard is halogen), and their bills are averaging $150 , but also they have bad habit of leaving the door to the balcony open while Ac is on.

I am peeing my pants as how much it's gonna be in Hawaii .. oh goddess I'm gonna be so poor

Old 01-23-2010, 04:50 PM

155 posts, read 516,208 times
I think they finally have a V. Secret at Ala Moana.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:00 PM

Location: By body is in JaxBeach, FL but my mind is in Hawaii
37 posts, read 207,947 times
@eksotia... I'm in Florida with that $350.00 electric bill. I understand the kw price is higher in HI, but if you are not having to pay heat/ac bills, this will make a difference. My point was, from the amounts I have seen quoted for HI, I don't think mine would change... or would rather go down if I don't use heat or regular AC.

Based upon your average amounts... looks like your amount would go up though.... Sounds like your current location has wonderful efficiency.

FYI.. Victoria's Secret... No excuses now though.

ALA MOANA CENTER
Lingerie
1450 ALA MOANA BLVD
HONOLULU, HI 96814

Old 01-23-2010, 09:47 PM

yes I understand it's in Jackson Beach, I'm just bummed that I have to accept that your current electricity bill might be ours in HI. I might need to give up my cellphone family plan which is currently in 200s. Good thing we can quit anytime because the phones are ours, and let hubby gets the cheapest plan for himself.

Sorry this is off topic for this thread but I need to vent LOL

Old 01-23-2010, 10:12 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksotia View Post
... I might need to give up my cellphone family plan which is currently in 200s. Good thing we can quit anytime because the phones are ours, and let hubby gets the cheapest plan for himself...
Why would you pay that much for a cell phone plan?

Old 01-23-2010, 10:28 PM

67 posts, read 257,876 times
I lived in FL from the age of 4 until 18, left for college, returned for grad school, moved away for several years, then lived there again from 2003-2005.

Depending on where you go, it is a major retirement state with lots of people 65+. Some communities do not even allow children to live there!

Weather is horrific in the summer, which really isn't June, July, August, but more like May - September. Literally unbearable heat that keeps you indoors most of the day during June/Jul/August. You will sweat just from standing outside for 5 minutes. Beaches are nice all year round, sort of breezy, but it's a warm HUMID breeze. Beautiful soft white sand that is incredible, softer than sugar. The weather from mid Oct - mid March is fantastic.

Bugs, mosquitoes, and huge flying cockroaches. You get used to them.

Coastal towns are very pretty, but expensive. Nice areas include Sarasota, West Palm Beach, Boca Raton.

I could not live there year round b/c I just HATE the summer. I think I hate summers there more than I hate winters in DC. And I REALLY HATE winters in DC.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:02 AM

168 posts, read 726,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksotia View Post
I might need to give up my cellphone family plan which is currently in 200s.
my family's plan is in the 200's too. but we have 7 phones, 2 of which are blackerberries, and unlimited messaging for all of us. although, verizon did just up the prices for everything so i'm sure it will be different when my dad renews the contract in a year or so.

but for only one or two phones you could definitely go cheaper.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Why would you pay that much for a cell phone plan?
2x calling plans plus data for smartphones with unlimited texting

Old 07-18-2011, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 6,570 times
Both places are great! I lived on Maui in the 80's for 10 years. I loved it. Down fall was traveling to see my family. Cost to live there is high. I have family on Maui still and friends. If I could afford to live in Hawaii I would in a heart beat.I moved to Fort Myers Florida in December. It is beautiful here and its has more to offer if you like to be on the go! Hawaii is more relaxing. One thing I can say on a con note: There is a bug season in Florida. It can be bad. Also if you have pets there are some harmful frogs, snakes and some time alligators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii