Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 06:29 PM

6 posts, read 9,364 times

Advertisements

I know this question has been posted before but I was hoping to hear from someone (private message might be better) who has recently transported their dogs to the islands. We are looking into all the options and seemingly the only way to do it is to ship the dogs as cargo. If anyone could give us any up to date info as far as which airline they used and how much it cost. Are any airlines better than others as far as their "climate/pressure controlled" pet areas. I wish I could afford a private charter! Happy New year and any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 06:36 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,594,424 times
Aloha,
I am in the process right now and I live in western NY also Tortise is In up state NY and moving dogs in May I think.

What type of dog/s do you plan on moving to Hawaii?

Old 01-02-2010, 06:41 PM

227 posts, read 919,991 times
When I flew here 2 years ago on Hawaiian Air then put my 3 pets down below and they where fine. I think it was about $170 for each pet. Was told that when you board the plane to talk to a flight attendant and tell them to make sure the pilot is aware there are pets below so they can turn on the heaters for them.

Make sure you take care of all your stuff before so you can get the quick release when you get there.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:45 PM

62 posts, read 267,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostontoHawaii View Post
I know this question has been posted before but I was hoping to hear from someone (private message might be better) who has recently transported their dogs to the islands. We are looking into all the options and seemingly the only way to do it is to ship the dogs as cargo. If anyone could give us any up to date info as far as which airline they used and how much it cost. Are any airlines better than others as far as their "climate/pressure controlled" pet areas. I wish I could afford a private charter! Happy New year and any help would be great!
There's an extensive thread about this going on here:

Help clarifying quarantine logistics, please

which is kind of a continuation of this helpful thread:

Cost Of Bringing A Dog To Hawai'i

Old 01-02-2010, 06:48 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,900,723 times
There are SO many posts/threads you can be reading about this while you're waiting for responses. Just use the "search" feature near the top/right of the main page. There are recent posts on costs, D of Ag procedures, cargo/temperature controlled areas, airlines, dog-in-cabin charter flights, and even snub-nosed breeds. It's a great place to start, and you can ask more specific questions when you've read what's here.

Best of luck.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:58 PM

292 posts, read 949,767 times
I plan on flying with 2 Great Danes and a Weimaraner out of Newark on Continental to HNL; then cargo out of HNL to Lihue in June.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:31 PM

6 posts, read 9,364 times
Thanks for the responses everyone. We are traveling with two Boston Terriers. We have been looking into the Continental PetSafe program. It sounds like the best and safest thing we can find. The rates are not terrible either. Continental seems to be the only airline that still offers any type of decent pet service. We are moving to Hawaii in July and were are trying to get a game plan. Are any of you guys shipping cars from the east coast?

Old 01-03-2010, 12:10 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,188,192 times
Boston Terriers should not need cargo... You might be thinking luggage instead.
You need to look at the regs with airlines not with Hawaii quaratine where you are flying from on what month. There is also an thread here for short nosed dogs and they are not allowed to fly I believe in summer months. I fly my boy on Hawaiian and they were great to him. All airlines other than being told not are actually really good to the dogs. Hawaiian and others are good to dogs... they are all ok from my stand point now... airlines all dictact to how dogs are affected by the flight. I believe. Dogs in Hawaii once here is a differnt story than I am used too.............

My boy was really hot in Honolulu- no matter the ice left in his cage in Dec it was gone- really late for flight- but they had no problem telling me where the water was, letting him go realive himself in cargo. Don't know the journey for small dogs in luggage. I would look at Hawaiian for price of you and dogs - they are small and cheaper in tickets. But all I can say is it is way eaiser on them then us. It really isn't that big of a deal to a dog... I over freaked out about the whole thing. Yes it is something new to us and them but I really belive after the months of stressing over it - it was all me he did fine and lived through it. Did totally fine ... till the islands and man his hair will be found on the moon... shed shed shed shed..

Last edited by nwcountrygal; 01-03-2010 at 12:20 AM..

Old 01-03-2010, 03:53 AM

62 posts, read 267,681 times
Default well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
But all I can say is it is way eaiser on them then us. It really isn't that big of a deal to a dog... I over freaked out about the whole thing. Yes it is something new to us and them but I really belive after the months of stressing over it - it was all me he did fine and lived through it.
Thanks for saying this.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:08 PM

155 posts, read 545,341 times
Did totally fine ... till the islands and man his hair will be found on the moon... shed shed shed shed..
Laughed out loud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii