Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:27 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,619,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbennie View Post

But just like in the Mainland you can pass the haoles and they act like they did not hear a word when you say hello or ALoha I learned long ago 9 out of 10 of them just THINK they are better than everyone else and only God knows why because ALL MEN WHERE CREATED EQUAL!!!
Damn, small kine racist eh? 9 out of 10 is a little harsh, if you said hi to me I would have smiled and said hi in return. Glad you are enjoying the islands though, sounds like you should fit right in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 09:00 AM

28 posts, read 51,391 times
I am moving to Oahu this time next year. I absolutely LOVE it there. I have been there over 10 times and I still cant get enough. From the moment I stepped off the plane, my heart felt at home... & I hadnt even met anyone yet... The Hawaiian lifestyle is beautiful. They treat people the way they get treated and even better sometimes. I am Filipino and Mexican, so I am darker skinned... My husband is Black and white...We CANNOT wait to come out and live amoung the beautiful people of Hawaii, this year is going to DRAG on, but we are sowing our fields and planting our seeds as we go, so that God can make more flowers bloom as we reach our heavenly destination next year... You will have NOOOO problems with the locals.. Just be a good person and treat them like family!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 5,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinagee View Post
I am moving to Oahu this time next year. I absolutely LOVE it there. I have been there over 10 times and I still cant get enough. From the moment I stepped off the plane, my heart felt at home... & I hadnt even met anyone yet... The Hawaiian lifestyle is beautiful. They treat people the way they get treated and even better sometimes. I am Filipino and Mexican, so I am darker skinned... My husband is Black and white...We CANNOT wait to come out and live amoung the beautiful people of Hawaii, this year is going to DRAG on, but we are sowing our fields and planting our seeds as we go, so that God can make more flowers bloom as we reach our heavenly destination next year... You will have NOOOO problems with the locals.. Just be a good person and treat them like family!

I'm glad you (and many in this thread) have had good experiences. I've been to Hawaii (Oahu and the BI) my wife has not. We're planning a vacation there for some time next year. We're considering a move there within the next 3-4 years when my oldest son will be out of high school and on to college. We're in the heavy research/planning phase now. We're AA but many people mistake me for Puerto Rican (LOL) and my wife for Ethiopian (her mother is from Italy...maybe that has something to do with it?)...but..rest assured...we're true-blue AA. Maybe we'll fit in with the locals well? I work for a government agency (contractor) that has a facility on Oahu. Perhaps I can go for a transfer to there in the near future...since it seems that there is a rapidly growing increase in demand for Sr. Linux engineers there...especially when it comes to high performance compute cluster supercomputers (part of my background). I really hope so!! We'll see...

Old 08-02-2010, 10:00 AM

28 posts, read 51,391 times
Awesome!!! ...... I am sure you will love it. When you vacation there, you will see what I am talkign about, not just the outward beauty but the inward of the people!!!... LOVE IT

Old 08-05-2010, 01:07 PM

20 posts, read 51,242 times
Yeah, that resentment sounds like the reason why the rest of the world dislikes the US. But I must say Hawaii is a really laid back place where you can just enjoy yourself.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,611 times
Hey Rayinhawaii! Do you have any idea what the job lprospect is for nurses in Hawaii? D'you think I could get a job as a new nurse?

Old 08-09-2010, 06:43 AM

3 posts, read 4,695 times
I live off of a pension and in about four months will be drawing social security, my daughter who is at present unemployed, and has not been able to find work draws unemployment which helps her out a little, If she was on her own would be living in the streets. She would much rather be working. She has a BA degree in Psychology, and has also held a jod as a copy writer. She has written a few books that she has self publish. At present has finished a novel. We want very much to move to Captian Cook with in the next two months. My problem has been finding a single family home to rent, even if it is rent to own. I would like to keep the rent down to no more than $850. a month lower if possible. I am not looking to free load. I would like for her to be able to find work as well as a publisher for her new novel that she just finished writting. Any suggestion?

Old 01-02-2011, 05:38 PM

28 posts, read 38,881 times
Hi, my husband and I are planning a mth. long vacation to Oahu. We are a middle-aged Black couple. Now I'm a little nervous about how we'll be treated? We are not military, just celebrating hubby's retirement and a long-awaited honey-moon! Now Kinda Nervous??

Old 01-02-2011, 07:21 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillalexanderp View Post
Hi, my husband and I are planning a mth. long vacation to Oahu. We are a middle-aged Black couple. Now I'm a little nervous about how we'll be treated? We are not military, just celebrating hubby's retirement and a long-awaited honey-moon! Now Kinda Nervous??
There's no need to be nervous, you'll probably have a great time on O'ahu. If anyone gives you a hard time just tell them that you're Obama's "cousin" (either Barack or Michelle, they probably won't know the difference).

There's even a pretty decent soul food place in Kaimuki...
Hawaii soul food by Award Winning Chef Sean Priester

Old 01-03-2011, 08:12 AM

406 posts, read 865,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillalexanderp View Post
My wife and I (she is black, I am white) had our honeymoon on Oahu in 1981, and have been to Hawaii around 8 times. We renewed our vows on Maui in 2006, and I was best man for our nephew's wedding on Maui (he is black, she is white). We never had any problems anywhere we were and certainly no comments about us like here on the mainland .

It's harder for us to plan our next trip since we are retired and income is down but if we get the chance we will be back and if I can talk her into moving it will be permanent.

Enjoy your trip, your belated honeymoon and retirement.

Mickey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii