Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 01:23 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have been told it could take up to 24 months to get , that seems like an awful long time . Im asking for someone else .
Knew one guy who fought for 5 years.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,350 times
I applied for ssi on 1/12/16 due to my medical conditions.. I'm married my husband receive ssi also due to his conditions.the social security office called me in for some documents like rent receipt an marriage certificate too an also for my husband to come in with me.. They also gonna open his case so that it could be better for me? Let me know if I been approved thank you I'm confuse!!

Old 04-06-2016, 11:41 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
You are approved when you receive a letter telling you that you have been approved - until then it's under review if they are asking for more documents.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,160 times
I was in a bad car accident 1-1-16. I filed for disability in February. I'm still waiting to hear something. They sent me to one of their Drs for a physical exam then turned around and sent me again for a mental exam. I'm only 34 but I did xray for 11yrs. My back was crushed in two places. L1 was a starburst fracture and shards of bone were in my spinal canal and compressing on my spinal cord which should've been an automatic approval? I rebroke my back again in April. I've got rods and screws from T11-L3. Fusion. And lamenectomy. I have herniated discs in my neck as well. What are my chances of an approval ? I am still in a back brace. I def can't work. I can't even wash dishes. I'm out of short term disability. If I'm not approved soon I'm going to lose everything I own

Old 08-02-2016, 06:04 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer21382 View Post
I was in a bad car accident 1-1-16. I filed for disability in February. I'm still waiting to hear something. If I'm not approved soon I'm going to lose everything I own
Best case on approvals is five-six months. More often (67% of time), there is a denial the first time around, and an appeal is necessary. Some people (fewer) have no problems, others wait years. Your state/region also matters, per many comments upthread. Much also depends on how carefully the paperwork has been completed. Those on this thread who've had approvals the first time more often than not were very hands-on in completing the documentation.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:38 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Best case on approvals is five-six months. More often (67% of time), there is a denial the first time around, and an appeal is necessary. Some people (fewer) have no problems, others wait years. Your state/region also matters, per many comments upthread. Much also depends on how carefully the paperwork has been completed. Those on this thread who've had approvals the first time more often than not were very hands-on in completing the documentation.
There are lots of forums specifically for ssi and ssdi they can be helpful because you may have a very long wait since it often takes 3+ years to get approved even with a severe condition, however some get lucky and get approved quickly.
Your age works against you because the ssdi program is becoming more reluctant to approve younger people because once they get on they rarely get off whereas older people have less years to live and collect benefits.
Wish I had better news but ssdi is becoming more scrutinized because it is close to bankruptcy.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:15 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
I was in a bad car accident 1-1-16. I filed for disability in February. I'm still waiting to hear something. They sent me to one of their Drs for a physical exam then turned around and sent me again for a mental exam. I'm only 34 but I did xray for 11yrs. My back was crushed in two places. L1 was a starburst fracture and shards of bone were in my spinal canal and compressing on my spinal cord which should've been an automatic approval? I rebroke my back again in April. I've got rods and screws from T11-L3. Fusion. And lamenectomy. I have herniated discs in my neck as well. What are my chances of an approval ? I am still in a back brace. I def can't work. I can't even wash dishes. I'm out of short term disability. If I'm not approved soon I'm going to lose everything I own

I'm sorry you are in this mess . Let me tell you the ssi people don't care if you loose everything you own flat out . do you have a lawyer handling this ? if not you sure as heck should get one .I will pray for you that the Lord takes care of this mess quickly . Good luck to you .

Old 08-03-2016, 11:45 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,560,051 times
Quote:

Get a Disability Lawyer. You don't have to pay anything,the attorney will get 25% when you win. The attorney will be in charge of the paperwork and pay to request medical records, so you don't have to pay for med records out of pocket. But, most attorneys take on clients that have been denied the first time. However, your case sounds strong,they might take you right away.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,302 times
i was scheduled by ss to see a psych dr. 3 months after i applied for ssi,they called me before the appointment and told me a decision has been made but wouldnt give me any info other than that,im assuming ive been approved. i read somewhere that if they make a decision without sending you to their drs you can sue them for not doing their job properly.am i correct in my assumption? guess i will find out in a few weeks. i have xrays that i think spoke for themselves as to me not being able to use my hands and ive read that is one of the conditions/ examples of what makes you disabled

Old 09-15-2016, 12:25 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemadd View Post
i was scheduled by ss to see a psych dr. 3 months after i applied for ssi,they called me before the appointment and told me a decision has been made but wouldnt give me any info other than that,im assuming ive been approved. i read somewhere that if they make a decision without sending you to their drs you can sue them for not doing their job properly.am i correct in my assumption? guess i will find out in a few weeks. i have xrays that i think spoke for themselves as to me not being able to use my hands and ive read that is one of the conditions/ examples of what makes you disabled
If you are denied, you appeal the decision. You do not "sue them".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance