Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:28 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
As I predicted. Of course you're going to draw the conclusion you draw, if you insist on refusing to acknowledge the value perceived by those who's basic, critical, essential needs ACA was intended to address. As long as that's the case, it is probably best for you to refrain from "going any further... on this subject and most not probably on any other".

With people who discuss things the way you do, yes...not necessarily with others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 12:07 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,368,878 times
I think that it is too early to know the reason behind the computer software mess. Whether the people doing the programing were not qualified enough, or they had to many different people in the mix, or they did not receive enough money for the job at hand. What happened is purely speculative at this point.

I think before we start screaming "Off With Their Heads", we need to wait and see what truths emerge down the line.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:23 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
I can't believe fools are actually defending this snafu. Too funny.

Good heavens, you really can't fix it! The worse it gets, the more defensive 0bots get.

Hilarious!

Quote:
Well, I did quite a good job explaining why it is, and you denied it without explaining why your denial is rational, so a reasonable person can only conclude that your comments here are without merit.

Oh, my, it's funnier than I thought!

Really! Oh, my!!!!!

You know the argument is completely lost when people start rambling about Amazon and Apple.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:48 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I can't believe fools are actually defending this snafu. Too funny.

Good heavens, you really can't fix it! The worse it gets, the more defensive 0bots get.

Hilarious!

Oh, my, it's funnier than I thought!

Really! Oh, my!!!!!

You know the argument is completely lost when people start rambling about Amazon and Apple.
"You know" - you have long been on my ignore list for a reason. Thought I'd read you just this once - since this is not the P&C minefield - and just this once I thought you MIGHT have something worthwhile to contribute.

Nope - just the same old same old insulting everyone else. Some things never change.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:51 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I hope Obama gets a little angry over this mess and hires some good American computer guys and gals. We could use the jobs here.
To be fair, they did have a lot of people working in the US. They also had a lot of people working on this from other nations, low-wage nations.

Of course, it is the Republicans who would make the point that business shouldn't be constrained in its efforts to increase profitability through globalization. They're on record as being explicitly anti-American jobs, having thwarted the major efforts the current administration has proposed to improve things for those looking for jobs and better jobs here in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
With people who discuss things the way you do, yes...not necessarily with others
You mean people who agree with you. I haven't seen you have a substantive discussion with anyone else who disagrees with you in this thread. Let us know, from time to time, how you're doing in that echo chamber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
"You know" - you have long been on my ignore list for a reason. Thought I'd read you just this once - since this is not the P&C minefield - and just this once I thought you MIGHT have something worthwhile to contribute. Nope - just the same old same old insulting everyone else. Some things never change.
Indeed. There are several posters of that persuasion who effectively discredit their own comments and the comments they implicitly agree with by their routine practice of contributing nothing but puerile deflection. Sometimes reading these threads is like walking through a dog park, with all the leavings laying around.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:56 PM

7,927 posts, read 9,150,257 times
How many policies could $700 million have purchased? Why couldn't the insurance companies' websites be used, have people sign up via them and then get a tax credit like the EITC?

Seems the people subsidized were actually the insurance and IT companies.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:09 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
How many policies could $700 million have purchased?
Without a means of purchasing them - zero.

Quote:
Why couldn't the insurance companies' websites be used, have people sign up via them and then get a tax credit like the EITC?
There's more to the subsidies than just income verification.

Quote:
Seems the people subsidized were actually the insurance and IT companies.
False. They are commercial enterprises expecting to get paid for their work as they were promised. It's called "capitalism". We live in nation that features a hybrid economy. I'd be surprised if you were unaware of that.

Regardless, the people subsidize were those who earn 400% FPL or less.

The moral of the story is don't think you'll have an unrebutted soapbox for pointlessly nonsensical claptrap.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:18 PM

7,927 posts, read 9,150,257 times
700million divided by 30 million uninsured equals a nice fund to purchase insurance.

What is wrong? Are you one of those incompetent IT guys who couldn't get the system going,lol?

Old 10-23-2013, 02:23 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
Then prove it with the comments you make here. Present comments that support that which explicitly recognizes the value that things deliver to those most vulnerable in society. We'll make it real simple for you: Address explicitly the difference in value perceived by an indigent person needing cancer treatment between getting treated under ACA and not getting treated under the prior system.

Value as perceived by whom?

That was my point.

Which you have, and no doubt, will continue to try to dodge.

And to be fair, I'm not just an expert in the development and deployment of web applications, but I also have specific insights into the requirements that these specific web applications had to satisfy. Amazon.com couldn't care less who you are - they just care that your money is good. Other than your credit card number, the data that they hold isn't all that sensitive, not like that which the health exchanges are required to hold. Amazon.com interacts with a few clearinghouses for payment services, but that's it. The health exchanges have to interact with a number of government agencies and others. It is perhaps the public web application deployment which had imposed on it the most complex set of requirements.

I cannot talk much about it, but we can rest assured that the exchanges were beta tested. A big problem in our industry, these days, is that testing effort is sized based on the budget available for it, rather than based on the amount of testing necessary given the specifications of the application.

Indeed, and we should keep in mind that this industry standard is a reflection of our nation's more general rush to the bottom with regard to the prioritization of quality, as compared to price.

Not even that would make a difference: You're talking about a load of tens if not hundreds of thousands of users per hour, in a system that is connected live to a number of external systems you don't have control over (so you cannot use those connections for loaded test runs at will - you have to rely on load simulations and load test systems that those external systems offer, which may or may not adequately reflect the performance of the live systems - and that's assuming that you yourself have the budget to do the kind of load testing that will validate usage at a rate of tens if not hundreds of thousands of users per hour...)
A laugh a minute. If you're such an expert, why don't you give the Chief Idiot a call and offer your services.

I have a neighbor who is also an expert. Truthfully, he doesn't know schit.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Its being reported that the software engineers wanted to make it possible to first shop the exchanges before signing up but the administration insisted it be change to require registration first before see prices and offerings. Some that are younger healthy workers are also reporting that their cost is shockingly high if they get no subsidity over what they had before.This is to be expected since its going to take a lot of younger healthy to sign up to make up the risk cost of insuring lower income and sick people.That is one of the fears is that young people will not or will wait until last minute to signup meaning months of high cost to insure sick people first signed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance