Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 09:10 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,524,355 times

Advertisements

Hypothetical:

I started collecting SS at 63 years old.
I still work and have medical insurance through my current employer.

Today I turn 65, do I have to call to enroll when I am ready, or do I automatically get signed up for and money withheld from my SS for Medicare today when I turned 65?

Also do I pay a penalty for Part D if I wait to sign up later for A and B?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 09:30 PM

11,165 posts, read 7,995,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestintheWest View Post
Hypothetical:

Today I turn 65, do I have to call to enroll when I am ready, or do I automatically get signed up for and money withheld from my SS for Medicare today when I turned 65?

You have to apply for Medicare, and you can do it on line. ( it's not automatic).
Medicare only covers 80% so it would behoove you to also choose a supplement. You automatically get part A and B when you sign up ( medical and hospitalization).
Part D ( drug coverage ) will be an extra expense ( depending on who you go with and finances).
Your best bet would be to Google Medicare.gov and read it for your self.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:41 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,549,282 times
Default It's A Hypothetical Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
You have to apply for Medicare, and you can do it on line. ( it's not automatic).
Medicare only covers 80% so it would behoove you to also choose a supplement. You automatically get part A and B when you sign up ( medical and hospitalization).
Part D ( drug coverage ) will be an extra expense ( depending on who you go with and finances).
Under this hypothetical scenario, OP doesn't have to do anything because OP is still working and has creditable coverage through his employer. He can enroll when he retires without penalty.

Quote:

Generally, as long as this person has employer coverage, he shouldn't need Medicare. However, he should check w/his HR people to be sure. Most employer plans do not require you have Medicare while you are working - even if of Medicare age. I, too, was collecting SS and worked 2.5 years past 65, had employer coverage, and only enrolled in Part B after I retired at which point SS began deducting Part B premiums.

Employer coverage was creditable, I had no penalty.

Most employer plans are considered creditable for Parts B & D. Therefore, applicant can enroll in Medicare and sign up for Parts B and D without penalty on retirement.

No need to be paying Part B & D premiums unnecessarily.

This is what SS says:

Part B: https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-cha...#collapse-3156

Part D: https://www.medicare.gov/part-d/cost...t-penalty.html

The key word is CREDITABLE. Most employer coverage is CREDITABLE.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-05-2015 at 11:15 PM..

Old 11-06-2015, 05:43 AM

138 posts, read 149,717 times
Quote:
From SSA's website...

"If you already get Social Security benefits, we’ll automatically enroll you in Medicare Hospital Insurance (Part A) and Medical Insurance (Part B). We’ll mail you all the information you need a few months before you become eligible."

Medicare is effective the first of the month in which you turn 65 and Part B is paid for starting a month in advance.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:39 AM

10,623 posts, read 12,167,534 times
^^ SSA may sign you up, but if a person still has employer insurance I'd think it would behoove him/her to respond so no premium is deduction unnecessarily. Correct? You just can't presume these big agencies get things right. You have to make sure it's right.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:11 AM

138 posts, read 149,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
You just can't presume these big agencies get things right.
SSA does not know if a person has other health insurance. It's up to the individual to decide whether or not to decline Part B at the time of automatic enrollment. SSA provides some information to help with the decision.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:13 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,805,587 times
Shouldn't OP run numbers and make sure the employer is the better option before taking it over Medicare? If I were still working where I am now it would be no slam dunk; in fact Medicare would probably be a better deal. I work for a small company (no leverage with insurers) that only contributes a little.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:37 AM

25,576 posts, read 56,549,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ SSA may sign you up, but if a person still has employer insurance I'd think it would behoove him/her to respond so no premium is deduction unnecessarily. Correct?
Correct.

Quote:
If you're automatically enrolled, you'll get your red, white, and blue Medicare card in the mail 3 months before your 65th birthday or your 25th month of disability.

What if I don't want Part B?

If your Medicare hasn’t started yet, there are 2 ways to drop Part B:

If you were automatically enrolled in both Part A and Part B and sent a Medicare card, follow the instructions that come with the card, and send the card back.

https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-cha...nd-part-b.html

Old 11-06-2015, 05:37 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,524,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Under this hypothetical scenario, OP doesn't have to do anything because OP is still working and has creditable coverage through his employer. He can enroll when he retires without penalty.

Generally, as long as this person has employer coverage, he shouldn't need Medicare. However, he should check w/his HR people to be sure. Most employer plans do not require you have Medicare while you are working - even if of Medicare age. I, too, was collecting SS and worked 2.5 years past 65, had employer coverage, and only enrolled in Part B after I retired at which point SS began deducting Part B premiums.

Employer coverage was creditable, I had no penalty.

Most employer plans are considered creditable for Parts B & D. Therefore, applicant can enroll in Medicare and sign up for Parts B and D without penalty on retirement.

No need to be paying Part B & D premiums unnecessarily.

This is what SS says:

Part B: https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-cha...#collapse-3156

Part D: https://www.medicare.gov/part-d/cost...t-penalty.html

The key word is CREDITABLE. Most employer coverage is CREDITABLE.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:48 AM

7,529 posts, read 13,667,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucratic View Post
From SSA's website...

"If you already get Social Security benefits, we’ll automatically enroll you in Medicare Hospital Insurance (Part A) and Medical Insurance (Part B). We’ll mail you all the information you need a few months before you become eligible."

Medicare is effective the first of the month in which you turn 65 and Part B is paid for starting a month in advance.

This was my experience. In 2009 when I turned 65, and was still working, and was receiving SS Survivors benefits, I was automatically enrolled in Part A. Part B was optional. Checking with my employer, a small business with a self-funded insurance plan, they said they would be secondary to Medicare-eligible employees.

So rather than pay 2 premiums (Medicare Part B & employer plan) I signed up for Part B, and cancelled employer plan.

Re Part D, my PCP at the time talked me into an Advantage MA-PD plan (which I later came to regret).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance