Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 10:38 AM

137 posts, read 161,462 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This person is over 65, did not mean to be uninsured but apparently there are not many options out there is if are on unemployment (for a few hundred/week) and are not eligible for Medicare (green card holder, not enough working years).

Anyway, this person will probably receive a huge bill.

I am not here asking what you think is the right thing to do (like selling a kidney but PAY at bill at all costs! Because that's the RIGHT thing to do).

This person has literally $1000 in her bank account and lives with family who provide her with a room and food but are NOT legally responsible for her medical bills, as a lawyer said.

This person is NOT eligible for emergency medicaid either as that's only for undocumented people (so lucky! Unfortunately though for who tries to do it legally there is no support ... go figure).

This person was admitted at NYU langone in NYC, which is where the ambulance took her, she was in no position to talk, pick and choose.

This person is going to apply for financial aid but once her unemployment ends (next month) she will have 0 (zero) income and $1000 in the bank.
What's going to happen at that point?
Is bill going to be sent to collection? What can collection take from her when she has nothing? Her $1000? Should she declare bankruptcy although she never had anything to begin with?
I am just trying to understand what's going to happen next.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 11:52 AM

151 posts, read 88,857 times
I work in the ER and I see this daily. My sympathies to your friend on her health issues. The answer to your question is, it depends. My ER has a designation of patient called "unfunded" (pretty self explanatory). With Unfunded, they will try to work out a situation (even if it's just a few dollars a month). Some people don't have insurance but can make payments if they are low enough and on a long enough time period. The other option is that it gets written off as charity. Our hospital has a certain number of rooms that are designated for this per year.

If she does get submitted to collections, know first of all it will be separate bills (the docs bill separate from the ER who bills separate from X-ray, etc.). Secondly if you are in the US, the worst they can really do to you is trash your credit. If she doesn't care about that, then she doesn't have a whole lot to worry about.

I'm all for paying your bills, but you shouldn't have to pick between getting health care and dying in your home due to lack of treatment, and sadly for many, this is the choice they are faced with.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:58 AM

3,029 posts, read 2,261,379 times
Who is her sponsor? They are financially responsible for these expenses.

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/affidavit-support

Old 12-11-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post

What if there is no sponsor?

Old 12-11-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Love how people always try to throw the burden on other people, isn't that amazing??

Old 12-11-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Wait a sec, let me ask if there is a sponsor, I am sure they will be thrilled to run and pay 50k.

What's wrong with you????

Old 12-11-2019, 12:05 PM

131,002 posts, read 12,240,918 times
As a green card holder with limited money, wouldn't she qualify for medicaid? I don't think you need work credits for that? ( it is not medicare) Check it out anyhow. I guess if she can;t pay the bill, they can't get blood out of a stone, but she could be asked to be treated as a charity case ( as was previously mentioned)

eta: many hospitals have social workers to help with these issues, go see one with her.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
As a green card holder with limited money, wouldn't she qualify for medicaid? I don't think you need work credits for that? ( it is not medicare) Check it out anyhow. I guess if she can;t pay the bill, they can't get blood out of a stone, but she could be asked to be treated as a charity case ( as was previously mentioned)

eta: many hospitals have social workers to help with these issues, go see one with her.
She was on medicsid but then got a job (low income) and got dropped off as she had "too much income" and they offered her an amazing other plan for "only" $990/ month. A " bargain" that she let go though.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:10 PM

131,002 posts, read 12,240,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika123 View Post
She was on medicsid but then got a job (low income) and got dropped off as she had "too much income" and they offered her an amazing other plan for "only" $990/ month. A " bargain" that she let go though.
well, now she is unemployed again, she should re apply & ask for it to be retroactive to the date she went into hospital.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:11 PM

3,029 posts, read 2,261,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika123 View Post
Wait a sec, let me ask if there is a sponsor, I am sure they will be thrilled to run and pay 50k.

What's wrong with you????
Dang, OP. Chill.

Typically, when someone immigrates to the US, they need a sponsor who is financially responsible for them for a period of 10 years, blah blah blah. It is the law, not me. It is a big friggin' deal to sign that paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance