Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 09:23 PM

7,529 posts, read 13,670,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
haha, funny, not really, when I worked, retired 2 years ago, my insurance was only 76.00 a month for really good medical and dental. Now, I pay 144.00 + 24.00 + 90.(258.) and no dental. A LOT more than what I paid for decades. Yea, I pay it but it ticks me off.

So, you see tables do turn.
When you were employed, how much did it cost your employer to provide that $76 plan ?

Also, consider that Medicare Part A Hospitalization coverage is worth $471 a month if you had to pay for it (it's "free" to most).

"People who buy Part A will pay a premium of either $259 or $471 each month in 2021 depending on how long they or their spouse worked and paid Medicare taxes. If you choose NOT to buy Part A, you can still buy Part B."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 10:40 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,969,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
When you were employed, how much did it cost your employer to provide that $76 plan ?
QFT. I did some Accounts Payable work for my previous employer, and they provided us with insurance on a 75%/25% split, with them paying the 75%. I had a single plan that cost me roughly $32/week off my paycheck, so that comes out to around $500/month for the full cost of the policy. I don't know what the cost of the family plan was. And we had roughly 80 employees in the company.

One of the responsibilities of the AP clerk was to enter the insurance bill into our computer system for payment. IIRC that was on a monthly basis. The total was well into the 5 figure range. I want to say in the range of $40,000-$45,000. Per month.

Old 02-04-2021, 08:35 AM

1,504 posts, read 807,591 times
Quote:
haha, funny, not really, when I worked, retired 2 years ago, my insurance was only 76.00 a month for really good medical and dental. Now, I pay 144.00 + 24.00 + 90.(258.) and no dental. A LOT more than what I paid for decades. Yea, I pay it but it ticks me off.

So, you see tables do turn.
Your employer was paying for the majority of the cost of your health insurance.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:34 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,359,073 times
Yes, I get all of this, above. Does not take the shock away from paying such an increased amount. I get the math.

It's no different than how much American pay in taxes in general compared to other countries. People can get, understand it, blah, blah, blah, but it's still sticker shock. Enough.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:48 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,637,995 times
Quote:
It's no different than how much American pay in taxes in general compared to other countries.
The United States is actually pretty reasonable on taxes compared to other countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...e_to_GDP_ratio

France : 46.2%
Germany : 37.5%
United Kingdom : 33.3%
United States : 27.1%

It's true the corporate taxes in the United States are high compared to other countries (especially prior to the last tax reform), but individual taxes are comparatively low in the United States.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:57 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,359,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
The United States is actually pretty reasonable on taxes compared to other countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...e_to_GDP_ratio

France : 46.2%
Germany : 37.5%
United Kingdom : 33.3%
United States : 27.1%

It's true the corporate taxes in the United States are high compared to other countries (especially prior to the last tax reform), but individual taxes are comparatively low in the United States.
That was my point.

Old 02-04-2021, 04:59 PM

17,561 posts, read 39,217,632 times
I would NEVER be without some type of decent health insurance! My husband and I were on a group plan with his government employment, and it was a bit pricey. Paid on it for years and years with no health issues and then BAM! In 2019 I somehow developed an extremely serious blood clot. Went into emergency room and admitted to great hospital, and the plan paid for nearly my entire $35,000 bill.

And I have to say to OP, that $182 doesn't really sound that bad to me.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:42 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,048,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
every year, insurance companies jack up the rates.

Blue cross is increasing my catastrophic plan to $182/month this spring.

For $182/month, I could get an (excessive) monthly preventative checkup and give the money directly to the doctor instead of letting insurance companies take part of it.

I want to get a CT scan of my whole body, and I can do that for the $2184 I will be paying this year.

I'm flushing money down the toilet because I never use medical services.

One day when I actually need some medical attention, they're not gonna cover it.
scam

I'm wondering where you can get a CT scan for $2,184. I've been getting 2-4 CT Scans every year since 2017 and each one costs quite a bit more than that. (Fortunately, I have excellent insurance coverage and have had to pay only a small fraction of that amount.) I just checked my billing statement for my most recent one in November and the hospital charged $12,706.65. I realize that that is an inflated price that they charge the insurance company, but I would think even with a discount given to self-pays the amount would be quite a bit more than $2,184. Maybe I'm wrong.

But in any case, what happens if you become seriously ill and require more than one CT scan or some other medical tests. That's when your catastrophic coverage will really come into play. My charges have amounted to well over a million dollars in the last few years.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:16 AM

9,895 posts, read 7,785,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I'm wondering where you can get a CT scan for $2,184. I've been getting 2-4 CT Scans every year since 2017 and each one costs quite a bit more than that. (Fortunately, I have excellent insurance coverage and have had to pay only a small fraction of that amount.) I just checked my billing statement for my most recent one in November and the hospital charged $12,706.65. I realize that that is an inflated price that they charge the insurance company, but I would think even with a discount given to self-pays the amount would be quite a bit more than $2,184. Maybe I'm wrong.

But in any case, what happens if you become seriously ill and require more than one CT scan or some other medical tests. That's when your catastrophic coverage will really come into play. My charges have amounted to well over a million dollars in the last few years.
I'm self pay and I've had bills discounted between 30-95%. I think insurance companies don't want people to know that. We do belong to a healthcare sharing ministry and chose the catastrophic type plan.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 548 times
@OhComeOn this has been becoming an issue where companies are starting to raise rates and prices to where they charge an arm and a leg smh. Honestly the options you have is short-term but in some cases they don't cover catastrophic emergencies. Obamacare (crazy high deductible) and if you are lucky you can find some carriers who offer affordable low deductible Health Insurance. If your Employer offers insurance that would be your best bet my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance