Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 10:56 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,049,195 times

Advertisements

every year, insurance companies jack up the rates.

Blue cross is increasing my catastrophic plan to $182/month this spring.

For $182/month, I could get an (excessive) monthly preventative checkup and give the money directly to the doctor instead of letting insurance companies take part of it.

I want to get a CT scan of my whole body, and I can do that for the $2184 I will be paying this year.

I'm flushing money down the toilet because I never use medical services.

One day when I actually need some medical attention, they're not gonna cover it.
scam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 07:27 AM

1,493 posts, read 799,860 times
Most of us pay for home and car insurance and never use it. Insurance is to pay for the unexpected expensive things in life.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,610 posts, read 81,297,702 times
Giving up the insurance is asking for trouble. Life can have a mean sense of humor. The most healthy person in the world gives up their health insurance and soon after gets cancer or a heart attack. The driver forgets to pay their insurance bill and gets into an accident the next day.

Medical insurance has become a big part of the job search. I pay about $80/month for mine through my employer, with a maximum annual out of pocket at $2,000, $400 for medications.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:50 AM

9,192 posts, read 6,222,919 times
Insurance is for unexpected expenses. An accident or an illness could strike at any time. You must have better knowledge than I, because I don't know if I will become ill in the future. Covid has already infected more than 102 million people and killed more than 2.2 million of them.

Drop your insurance. Save your money. If something does happen to you, you can always go to the emergency room, they have to treat and stabilize you. As Harry Callahan said: "You've got to ask yourself a question: 'do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

Old 01-30-2021, 10:02 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,421,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post

Blue cross is increasing my catastrophic plan to $182/month this spring.

For $182/month, I could get an (excessive) monthly preventative checkup and give the money directly to the doctor instead of letting insurance companies take part of it.

I want to get a CT scan of my whole body, and I can do that for the $2184 I will be paying this year.

One day when I actually need some medical attention, they're not gonna cover it.
scam
You know what insurance is for? lol

You have no idea really when you are going to need it, thus it is why you have it. You could wake up tomorrow with pain somewhere, and bump, go in, boom, diagnosed with cancer, got to undergo treatment. it can and does happen that fast, that unexpected.

You have insurance due to this, because you cannot cover a $100k+ cost of cancer treatment.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:17 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,632,094 times
Insurance isn't about medical care you need, it's about medical care someone needs. That someone may or may not be you, but it's someone. That's what you're paying for, someone getting medical care. If it isn't you, be happy you don't need it.

Old 01-30-2021, 10:26 AM

226 posts, read 158,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post

IMHO

those two statements from your quote = OXYMORON..

like saying

Your Tax Dollars at Work...

Why in the world would you want a complete CT Scan?

Old 02-03-2021, 10:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Insurance isn't about medical care you need, it's about medical care someone needs. That someone may or may not be you, but it's someone. That's what you're paying for, someone getting medical care. If it isn't you, be happy you don't need it.
This. And one day, you WILL need it.

I am very healthy but I had a totally unexpected accident which was serious a few months ago - had the whole ambulance ride, ER visit, x rays, surgery, hospital stay, you name it - and there's no way I could have paid for all of that out of pocket. (50s)

A very healthy friend of mine was recently playing golf, took a swing, and his lower arm just broke - he has stage 4 cancer (knew nothing before this) and is fighting for his life - not sure what his medical bills will be. (50s)

My brother had pancreatic cancer and fought it for three years before it finally won. He was in his early 50s when he died. Each year, in spite of every sort of treatment, including surgery, ambulance rides, you name it - his total out of pocket expenses were basically only the deductible and premiums both of which were low.

Anyway, I could go on but you get my drift.

Old 02-03-2021, 03:27 PM

421 posts, read 392,220 times
Hmm whining about $182 a month premium for what I assume is a high deductible policy? I've paid an average of $700 a month for the last 8 years for a high deductible policy for just me, $1,400 for my wife and I. I was ectastic to finally be 65 and on medicare and ONLY having to pay $144, $6 plus $91 ($241) a month for premiums including my supplement.

Go shed yours tears elsewhere....

Old 02-03-2021, 06:38 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,353,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post
Hmm whining about $182 a month premium for what I assume is a high deductible policy? I've paid an average of $700 a month for the last 8 years for a high deductible policy for just me, $1,400 for my wife and I. I was ectastic to finally be 65 and on medicare and ONLY having to pay $144, $6 plus $91 ($241) a month for premiums including my supplement.

Go shed yours tears elsewhere....
haha, funny, not really, when I worked, retired 2 years ago, my insurance was only 76.00 a month for really good medical and dental. Now, I pay 144.00 + 24.00 + 90.(258.) and no dental. A LOT more than what I paid for decades. Yea, I pay it but it ticks me off.

So, you see tables do turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance