Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2021, 06:55 AM

855 posts, read 624,153 times

Advertisements

I was recently surprised to learn that someone I know pays only $20.00 a month for an individual health insurance plan through United Healthcare.

Once I picked my jaw back up off the floor, I looked into it as possible option for myself. However, UHC has gotten lots of negative reviews at the Better Business Bureau and on their Facebook Page. The reviews at ConsumerAffairs.com are more positive, though, so there's that.

By way of comparison, I decided to see how people felt about an insurance company I personally do like and have had no problems with, my auto/property insurance folks. Looking into that, I discovered that my 'beloved' auto/property insurance company has also received a lot of criticism (even at ConsumerAffairs.com, where their ratings are lower than UHC's! ), yet I’ve been with them for years with no problems at all; I think they're great. Go figure, right? So perhaps this is more of a YMMV thing and I’d end up loving UHC as well, who knows?

I don’t go to the doctor unless I think it’s absolutely necessary, so the idea of a $20.00 monthly premium will, naturally, be tempting and seem sensible on the surface, even if at the same time it seems too good to be true. Still, I’d like to see if anyone here has had experience with United Healthcare and would like to weigh in on this.

Thanks in advance.

(PS: I already have health insurance through my workplace, which costs me only $40.00 a month, but because my hours dropped below the minimum required to keep that insurance plan over the past year, I now pay four times that amount per month in continuation coverage fees so I can keep that plan until my hours increase again. Still much cheaper than the average $300/$400 a month, though, so if the UHC thing ends up being undeniably inadvisable it’s not the end of the world...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 07:04 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Your employer chooses your insurance company and contributes to it. In your case it seems your employer pays the majority of the monthly premium. However it you choose UHC outside of your employee coverage, $20 a month sounds very wrong. If purchased outside of the ACA (Affordable Care Act) your premium would likely be around the $1000 a month. Am I missing something? And no, I do not like UHC. It has a long history of ripping the public off. Especially by their CEOs who have been convicted in the past.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:21 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
I agree with jmking, if you think you can get health insurance outside of an employer sponsored plan for as low as you're paying now, you're in for a big surprise.

Old 12-21-2021, 12:26 PM

23,281 posts, read 18,810,120 times
My father worked as a consultant in his later years and bought an individual policy from UHC. Can't say what else played into that choice. While sorting through his financial records years later, I found his premium statements. $20 per month? That's some fairy tale!

Old 12-21-2021, 12:35 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
You can actually pay that low. This last year, i paid $37 a month for my health plan(Select health), and $5 to see a doctor, with help from Nevada health link of course. Part of the aca thing. So it is not a fairy tale. I used to have Health plan of Nevada which is owned by United healthcare/Optum, and no charge every month, but the doctor was $50 copay. And I hated the entire experience of the inadequate doctors, and none would work with me. it has to be a partnership, we work together, or I am gone. They never worked with me to fix anything, just prescribed pills and procedures. To me, that goes nowhere. No more pills!!! I think I am the only one that doesn't like them and their nasty side effects. Good luck with that plan. You will need it!!!

Old 12-26-2021, 07:42 AM

9,121 posts, read 6,174,802 times
So far UHC is paying my bills. No problem yet.

Old 12-26-2021, 10:23 AM

1,108 posts, read 528,564 times
we have had a supplement plan and the last three years have been a challenge - i had shoulder surgery, heart issues, back fused and operated on twice and wife had a spiral femur broke and spent 18 days in the hospital and we have not paid 1 penny OFP.

so as far as we are concerned we could not be happier with UHC.

Old 12-27-2021, 11:42 AM

855 posts, read 624,153 times
Thank you all for your input! I do appreciate it.

I found a plan (not with United Healthcare), via the ACA, for only $34.00 a month and covers all the bases I need it to at this time. Plus, I can keep my current doctor, who is in their network. It's a BCBS affiliate, and I've always liked BCBS & Co.

That rate is cheaper than what I was paying each month through my employer, even before going the COBRA route.

ETA: It will be nice knowing that the number of hours I've worked through the year won't impact my coverage. The logic of that goes right over my head, I'll be honest...

-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance