Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 01:33 PM

810 posts, read 872,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I checked with my agent after the move and she advised me to keep the California policy. Because of the underwriting issue changing to another company, especially when I may be returning to California as some point in my life. It's just easier to keep it.

I recently lived in NM for 2 years. Changing would have saved $100/mo but I would have lost a lot of coverage because of the health care situation in NM.
Thank you, this is helpful to know this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 02:24 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
That AARP discount may only last for 1 year if you are a AARP member. As you get older the only discount left is if you do direct deposit payments.
Not true. AARP membership is not required beyond the first year - BUT the discounts continue, as shown here:

https://www.aarpsupplementalhealth.c..._WB27538ST.pdf

The foregoing applies to new purchasers. People who have been with UHC for years could have had their discounts end at earlier ages as they were purchased under a different discount schedule. An earlier schedule, here:

https://www.aarpsupplementalhealth.c..._AHD_WB_wc.pdf

Older schedules, with earlier discount end ages, also exist and apply depending on when the policy was purchased.

In short, UHC premium discounts are not predicated on AARP membership, they do continue after AARP membership ends, and they do continue to ages 77, 81 or 86, depending on your age, date of Medicare enrollment, and when you bought the policy.

Old 01-04-2022, 05:52 AM

3 posts, read 2,387 times
Good info, thank-you everyone. Still a little confused about which state would be best to enroll with. I do not see any FL enrollment discounts for AARP UHC like in CO. Can anyone confirm that?

Old 01-04-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvykid79 View Post
Good info, thank-you everyone. Still a little confused about which state would be best to enroll with. I do not see any FL enrollment discounts for AARP UHC like in CO. Can anyone confirm that?
Because FL mandates issue-age pricing, there are no age-related discounts in FL for any insurer. Your premium is based on your age at the time of purchase - which means the age-component of the premium remains the same for your age. Increases are subject to inflation in medical care, not age.

In any event, it doesn't matter where you buy the policy, because there is a very good chance, as SCGamecock said upthread, if you purchase a CO policy and then move to FL, your premium will change based on FL rates when you notify insurer of your new address. When you move back to CO, your premium will adjust again. For sure this will occur with UHC.

Don't make too much of these discounts. The "age discounts" offered by UHC in states which don't mandate issue-age or community pricing recognize the lower health-care cost for younger people, keeping the policy competitively priced against attained-age policies which try to lure you with a low initial premium. What matters, in the end, is the community rating of UHC once you are up in years. Attained-age policies can become prohibitively expensive. Community-rated policies, because of an open risk pool, keep the policy affordable.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-04-2022 at 12:38 PM..

Old 01-04-2022, 12:10 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Know that CA's "birthday rule" allows you to switch to a more competitively priced policy annually without health underwriting.

https://cahealthadvocates.org/mediga...ed-to-60-days/

So, when you move back to CA, should you find a more competitively priced policy, you can change carriers if it is more cost-effective. Only a few states allow these guaranteed-issue periods.

In your case, again, none of this matters because of CA's birthday rule and FL's issue-age pricing.
Thanks for this information. I'm not convinced I could find something less expensive in CA (my current Plan G low deductible is in CA), and even if I did, I'd be concerned that something would not work out in my favor. Still, I'm going to research it so thanks again.

Old 01-04-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Thanks for this information. I'm not convinced I could find something less expensive in CA (my current Plan G low deductible is in CA), and even if I did, I'd be concerned that something would not work out in my favor. Still, I'm going to research it so thanks again.
No sense in worrying about what prices will be if and when you move back to CA. You can do whatever you want in CA b/c of its birthday rule when you move back.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-04-2022 at 12:43 PM..

Old 01-04-2022, 02:16 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
No sense in worrying about what prices will be if and when you move back to CA. You can do whatever you want in CA b/c of its birthday rule when you move back.
Oh, I know. If and when I ever moved back, my rate stays the same. I just don't want to risk losing any benefits/services by switching companies. I was advised by my agent that because of my chronic conditions I could lose coverage by switching companies (and I'm very happy with the company I've had for 5 yrs).

For example as mentioned previously, I could switch to a different company and pay $72/mo less than I do now. I am unwilling to risk incurring some kind of co-pay if I did that because there is no information available regarding that up front. As I mentioned earlier, I was warned that I would very likely lose availability of some services in New Mexico because New Mexico has a very poor servicing record compared to other states - in my case CA.

In other words paying the $72/mo could save me money in case my out of pocket went way over that amount in, for example, New Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance