Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 07:50 AM

22 posts, read 35,135 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I'm a young woman in my 20's currently searching for a job here in my homestate of NJ. I've applied to many companies, but one that looks promising pays a base salary of $30,000 a year (with room for growth) and beneifits. They have offices all over the country. I'm also finishing my college degree in the fall, (20 credits left). In additon to that, I have a savings account.

The goal is to get on my feet and eventually move out of state. (The taxes, rent rates, and unemployment rate here is just insane...and it's not really getting better) I'd also like to move to a warmer climate, and a more laid back area. My aunt suggested San Diego (She's lived there), but I don't know too much about it. (Other then the economy isn't much better, but I'd move with a job in place) I've also looked at Arizona (Tuscon) and Texas. Last summer I went to Virginia and loved Charlottesville. It's the only non warm climate I'd accept I think. I've given myself two years to make all of this happen.

My stepmother thinks my plan is "unrealistic" and frankly, does not want me to move away from home, especially for my frist apartment. (She also worries constantly because I have mild Cerbreal Palsy, and thinks I won't survive...I think she's unreasonable.) I think it would be good for me. I can get more for my money, and explore and try new things. You all are pretty blunt (which is a good thing). IS this unrealistic?

Last edited by Bo; 07-04-2010 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US at post #5. The topic seemed more relevant to H&W.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 08:43 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
I say no. Family, especially older family, is always going to be hesitant of their little chicks flying the nest. You didn't say anything to convince me it's not realistic.

You sound like you really want to do this, and it's not just some stupid pipedream like the stoner down the street saying he's going to move to LA and open a business.

Go visit first, see how you like it. Realize how it's going to be not knowing anyone and having to make new friends. I say the younger you are out of college, the better chance you have of really being happy and putting down roots somewhere else.

My advice is move somewhere where you can live in a more urban neighborhood of a city, as opposed to some sprawled out suburb. It might be easier to make friends and explore, and it's a good experience since most people end up in the burbs anyway after having kids (if that's in store for you).

My family was very reluctant when I moved here, but it was by far the best thing I've ever done.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:33 AM

24 posts, read 77,793 times
absolutely not. I think it's healthy. even if it doesn't work out in the long run and you move back home at least you gave it a shot. My husband's family was like that when he moved out at 18( and moved a whole 30 minutes away) and you know what? they were completely wrong. They had even sat down and spelled out for him every possible disaster that could befall him, they had charts and everything to prove what a terrible idea It was. He also has health problems. It turned out to be one of the best decisions he's ever made. He had the time of his life and hey- it led to me! My family was supportive of my move at that same age across the country( both of us by the way moved to charlottesville, me from Houston, and him from the next town north). And again, one of the best decisions ever. It worked out for us. Some people it doesn't work out as well, but so what? You're young, You'll have a degree( something neither of us had), and it sounds like a job. When are you supposed to move on if not then?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:26 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,092 times
Well, San Diego will likely be more expensive than where you live now. Especially if you are in South Jersey. I actually went through the same thing as you right after college. In fact I even moved to San Diego. LOL. So no, I don't think it's unrealistic. Just make sure you have things planned and know what you're getting into. Don't just move to some place you think might be cool for the sake of moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
My advice is move somewhere where you can live in a more urban neighborhood of a city, as opposed to some sprawled out suburb. It might be easier to make friends and explore, and it's a good experience since most people end up in the burbs anyway after having kids (if that's in store for you).
This is good advice. If you're going to move make sure it's to someplace interesting. Living in a generic suburb in California is not going to be much different than living in a generic suburb in New Jersey, and you will be without friends and family on top of that.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:37 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,040 times
It sounds realistic to me. If even Virginia isn't warm enough for you, then you should maybe look into Hawaii. It's more interesting than California or the South, and it's even warmer.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:49 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
It's very possible

I'd do some traveling first. I want to leave NJ for the same reason (Only I love cold weather, and I'm looking for colder!) I have over a year before I make any final decicions but I've been traveling all over upstate NY (My first desire)
I'd suggest you travel ALONE. It gives you more room for your wings to spread and/or it gives you a general idea how you will feel when (if) you move there.

No one here wants me to move, and it sometimes makes me hesitant, but you have to go with your gut feeling, you can always move back if your gut is a liar :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness