Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 10:36 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,369 times

Advertisements

If people are working to save your life quickly, you do not care a bit about modesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 10:46 AM

24 posts, read 217,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I sure can't imagine people refusing their emergency coronary bypass surgeries when they can't put together an all female cardiothoracic surgery team! CPR? Defibrillation? That's a NO unless there are no male EMTs around!

I see nothing wrong with people doing pelvic exams when I'm under anesthesia, as long as it is done for educational purposes under the supervision of an attending physician. If it will make somebody a better doctor in the future, so be it. There is always a bad apple ruining the reputation of other doctors - but I guarantee you that in the cases where the doctor is molesting his patients, it *will* be in an environment where there are no nurses, residents, or medical students around to witness.

It's ALWAYS a hindrance to your OWN medical care AND to the teaching of future doctors if you get hung up on details, but fail to see the big picture of your general treatment plan. If you really care that much about modesty, please go to a private hospital. Do NOT go to a teaching hospital. Problem solved.

Truly sick people don't care about most of these things. They are too busy struggling to live. These are the people who appreciate teaching hospitals... and vice versa. In some of the rarer specialties you will be hard pressed to find a doctor of a specific gender on any given day. There might just be one doctor in that hospital for that specialty - in which case you are stuck. In those cases it has nothing to do with "lack of consideration".
Pelvic Exams don't help doctors to become better doctors. Pelvic exams have nothing to do with heart surgery at all. There are way too many pelvic exams done on women. I feel that sometimes medical students treat female patients like lab rats especially when they do pelvic exams on them without consent. I think it should be illegal for pelvic exams to be done on female patients without consent.

Go to Google and type in Citizens Against Medical Rape in Action and you will learn about some horrible non-consensual exams that are done on women without their permission. Some ghost surgeries happened. Some patients have been lied to about who would do their surgeries. A medical student actually does their surgery instead. I think it happens more in VA hospital. I heard that some bad things happened at the VA hospital in Portland, OR.

I believe all hospitals should have at least one female ob/gyn on call at all times and enough male nurses for male patients who must have intimate procedures.

There are a lot of people who care about their modesty in medical settings. Many of us would not want to let anyone of the opposite sex see us naked except for our spouses and it doesn't change in a medical setting at all. Many people feel it is special for their spouse of the opposite sex to be the only one who can see and touch their private parts.

There are some horrible modesty violation cases that you can check out. Go to Google and type medical modesty violation. One man was stripped naked for a hand surgery in a VA hospital. That makes no sense. One other man who had wrist reconstruction surgery told the doctors and nurses that they better leave his pants on during the surgery and his wishes were respected.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:47 AM

One more thing. I have done research and I noticed that there are a lot of mannequins and even catheterization stimulators that nursing and medcial students can practice on. Gaumard sells many nice mannequins and urinary catheterization stimulators that are almost "real".

Old 07-31-2010, 01:05 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modest Woman View Post
One more thing. I have done research and I noticed that there are a lot of mannequins and even catheterization stimulators that nursing and medcial students can practice on. Gaumard sells many nice mannequins and urinary catheterization stimulators that are almost "real".

Maybe for the first or second time so they get a general idea of what they're doing. But there is so much variety and anomylies in the human body that even after you do a procedure a couple dozens times I imagine it's still like practicing (I'm in a different branch of the medical field, so I don't get much hands on experience with patients, but from what I've seen on rotations, this is the impression I get).

Besides, I'm not sure how the "same gender" thing will make much difference (read one of the posts about that above me, and I'd say the same thing goes for women on women). This medical molestation thing is something blown-up into larger porportions than what it is by the media. The chances of something like that happening are next to nothing--if you're that concerned, perhaps you want to stay away from people in the medical field; and lock your doors and never go outside again because, you know--you might just get struck by lighting.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:20 PM

314 posts, read 1,182,290 times
I must say, in all the years of being on message boards, this particular thread is the one I find most puzzling.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:30 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modest Woman View Post
Pelvic Exams don't help doctors to become better doctors. Pelvic exams have nothing to do with heart surgery at all. There are way too many pelvic exams done on women. I feel that sometimes medical students treat female patients like lab rats especially when they do pelvic exams on them without consent. I think it should be illegal for pelvic exams to be done on female patients without consent.

I believe all hospitals should have at least one female ob/gyn on call at all times and enough male nurses for male patients who must have intimate procedures.

There are a lot of people who care about their modesty in medical settings. Many of us would not want to let anyone of the opposite sex see us naked except for our spouses and it doesn't change in a medical setting at all. Many people feel it is special for their spouse of the opposite sex to be the only one who can see and touch their private parts.

Wrong. Pelvic exams are part of important physical exam training just like every other procedure and exam you do. If you want to understand female anatomy and be aware of anomalies, YOU HAVE TO SEE THEM IN REAL LIFE. Many times.

It is illegal to do anything to any patient without their consent unless it's an emergency situation and they cannot give consent. That is called assault.

I understand modesty, but you are sexualizing a situation that is not at all sexual. In non-emergent situations, you have every right to pick whichever doctor makes you feel the most comfortable. But it is patently ridiculous and unnecessarily inefficient and expensive to demand various sexes in emergency situations. What next? You aren't comfortable with black people? Or white people? Or Asian people? Or christian people? How many different people of different sexes, races, or creeds do we have to keep in the closet all ready to be 'on call' for patients who have ridiculous demands? Oh, god, and what if your female obgyn is gay?! Then what? You see how ridiculous this is?

It's medicine. Everyone's seen a thousand hoohas and hoohoos and no one cares and no one's getting a thrill from it.

Last edited by stan4; 07-31-2010 at 01:48 PM..

Old 07-31-2010, 01:37 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
I witnessed a female nurse mocking an eldely man.

I was in a hospital bed and my room mate had put the light on for a urinal.

The middle aged female nurse handed him a urinal. stood next to him and said she will take it when he is done.

When he asked if she could come back in a few minutes she stated in a loud voice------" you men who try to act modest make me laugh"

What a jerk she was !

Old 07-31-2010, 01:43 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
So some people have weird hangups with modesty and others are needlephobics.

I must admit sometimes I have seen a lack of sensitivity towards my husband's very real needlephobia and my daughter once passed out after a routine shot ......... but they realize that it is an anamoly and laugh about it too.

Modest Woman - think you need to realize you are probably simply in the minority and most folks, myself included, think nothing one way or the other about a doctor inspecting their body parts.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I witnessed a female nurse mocking an eldely man.

I was in a hospital bed and my room mate had put the light on for a urinal.

The middle aged female nurse handed him a urinal. stood next to him and said she will take it when he is done.

When he asked if she could come back in a few minutes she stated in a loud voice------" you men who try to act modest make me laugh"

What a jerk she was !
This is a modesty violation case. It is so sad, but many female nurses mock men who desire modesty. This nurse was very insensitive. She needs some training to be more sensitive to male patients' modesty. Even elderly people should be able to get the modesty they desire.

Sadly, many people think you should just throw out your modesty in medical settings. Some people wrongly assume that women in labor are in too much pain to think about their modesty, but that is not true. The good news is that there are some all female ob/gyn practices. But one of my friends who had a C section with a female ob/gyn had a bad experience. She had told her female ob/gyn in writing that she didn't want any medical students present, but her wishes were ignored.

If you google under medical patient modesty, you will see a lot of results of people who are not happy with the way their modesty is treated in medical settings.

A lot of people who value their modesty are afraid to speak up in medical settings because they feel intimidated. The elderly man you mentioned above is an example. I am sure he felt very intimidated by that female nurse and that's a shame. She should have respected his wishes and come back in a few minutes.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:45 PM

314 posts, read 1,182,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Wrong. Pelvic exams are part of important physical exam training just like every other procedure and exam you do. If you want to understand female anatomy and be aware of anomalies, YOU HAVE TO SEE THEM IN REAL LIFE. Many times.

It is illegal to do anything to any patient without their consent unless it's an emergency situation and they cannot give consent.

I understand modesty, but you are sexualizing a situation that is not at all sexual. In non-emergent situations, you have every right to pick whichever doctor makes you feel the most comfortable. But it is patently ridiculous and unnecessarily inefficient and expensive to demand various sexes in emergency situations. What next? You aren't comfortable with black people? Or white people? Or Asian people? Or christian people? How many different people of different sexes, races, or creeds do we have to keep in the closet all ready to be 'on call' for patients who have ridiculous demands? Oh, god, and what if your female obgyn is gay?! Then what? You see how ridiculous this is?

It's medicine. Everyone's seen a thousand hoohas and hoohoos and no one cares and no one's getting a thrill from it.

As a former ER nurse I can truly say, "AMEN"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness