Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:25 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,292,275 times

Advertisements

I get them also,I think mine are panic induced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 10:34 AM

271 posts, read 1,061,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bewitched View Post
You know, where your heart "flutters" or "skips a beat"? I get them sometimes...it lasts for about 5 seconds or so...but they're scary!

Anxiety and hyperthyroidism can cause this symptom.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:44 PM

822 posts, read 3,003,253 times
Hmm, I have been diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse, which apparently isn't too rare, but still ... and a murmur. I have basically had two episodes: in my 20s I woke up in the early morning with just a "vibration" coming from my heart (no 'heartbeat per se' - just this flutter); in my 30s I woke up in the early morning in a start and my heart started clunking around randomly (maybe atrial fibrillation); and about 8 hours later I threw a clot. Since that mega emergency, I've been checked thoroughly, but nothing jumped out aside from the mvp. But ... a couple of days ago I felt this weird sensation moving through my chest cavity - it felt like a bubble over my heart. It only lasted about 30 seconds but really scared me. I know a lot of people with mitral value prolapse experience a lot of odd sensations, but for me it's basically just these 3.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:01 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bewitched View Post
You know, where your heart "flutters" or "skips a beat"? I get them sometimes...it lasts for about 5 seconds or so...but they're scary!
I have mitral valve prolapse. I get them occasionally, but it does not bother me.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:26 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Someone was telling me something about this recently that was interesting. Apparently there is a new discipline among med doctors--these guys are actually electrical engineers who have gone on to get their MD, and they are trained to do something with electricity to get your heart back on rhythm. I don't know what they're called, but it might be worth looking into if this really bothers you. I'd probably consider it myself, but the olive leaf extract worked so well that I've not had any bad beats for a while now--I showed over 3000 last February on the holter monitor. The OLE worked better than magnesium or hawthorn.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:06 AM

482 posts, read 2,418,542 times
My 22 year old daughter just started getting them. She went to the primary care doctor who has referred her to a cardiologist. She was born without a thyroid gland and has been on synthroid since birth. I have read where if her med is off, she can get them. They are checking her thyroid level too. She is just paniced over this, after reading these postings, I am hopeful this isn't life threatening, especially in someone so young with no family history of heart problems. She on the other hand is upset with me for not being hysterical, am I taking this too calmy? I just think her doctor got her paniced and she won't calm down until she see's the cardiologist.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:48 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
they are trained to do something with electricity to get your heart back on rhythm.
You may be thinking of an electrocardiologist.

When I was 25 or so I had an "episode" for the first time. I was studying and had downed a few to many beers. They were an everyday thing. I went to the emergency room a few times that first year and they told me I was just having a panic attack. I agreed that I was.....Only because I was in my 20's and my heart was going crazy. Just not in the ER. Maybe It had something to do with being a student and not having insurance at the time.

About a year latter when I did have insurance I went and saw a cardiologist. He did a bunch of test including a cath.

When I was 30 I saw a different one and he also said I'm fine. Nothing to do with my heart. He said to get my lungs checked out.?

The morning of my 32nd birthday (a few months ago) I woke up at around 4:30 with my heart going crazy. It had been happening to me alot recently. With my other experiences I didn't want to go get checked out and have them tell me I was imagining things. Anyways, It was still going crazy at 8am so I went to the ER. Finally, something showed up on an EKG. They referred me to an electrocardiologist and now everything is under control with 2 different pills and an aspirin a day.

I agree that its a bit scary when you know something is abnormal and they can't find out a reason for it unless it's actually happening when you get checked out.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:02 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
I've had this for years! Freaks me out. I try to cough to get it back to normal, which sometimes works actually. I've had a few EKGs done and they were fine...Still don't like it!
That is what I do also. It seems to work.

I didn't get them until after my divorce. When they first started, I thought I was dying, you know, having a heart attack. Now I realize it's from too much coffee, or sometimes I get them when I'm a little tired, or run down. I don't like it either !

Old 01-10-2009, 04:07 PM

19 posts, read 44,390 times
I get them daily. I have a PFO (hole in my heart) along with Mitral Valve Proplapse and Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome and palpitations are daily occurance for me .. and the suck!

I get the kind that you go WOA!!! My heart will suddenly become severely tachycardic then my heart will skip every single beat, and will continue to do so until I make a movement like cough to reset it, then it will usually reset for about 4 seconds and go again and this can continue for some time. My come on simply out of no where, if I'm too full, if I bend over too far, climb stairs or do anything strenuous. The longest I've had palpitations nonstop for is about 20 mins. I've been to electrocardiologists, cardiologists and anything else you can think of

They're extremely scary!! I hate them and get anxiety and panic from them..My doctor told me best thing to do is bare down like you're trying to have a bowel movment. It compresses the vagus nerve which can control heart rate.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:20 AM

482 posts, read 2,418,542 times
Thanks for the replies, I realize they are probably scary when you don't know what is going on, I need to be more understanding. She is suppose to go to a cardiologist soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness