Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 01:29 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times

Advertisements

I have been hooked on Afrin for about 3 weeks and I know I needed to stop. The stuff is amazing, but should be banned because you use more and more until you are carrying around a bottle. My nose is currently locked shut, but I am going to have to ride this out. I was using so much and with the dry air, my nose had tons of dried blood in it. Anyone else hooked or have been hooked on this stuff? You can laugh, but it is as addicting as any other drug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 01:57 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,548 times
You poor thing. I was addicted to Neo-Synephrine for many years. I had to have it with me at all times. That was before it was known that drops were addictive.

Something that will help you get through this is a bottle of saline spray. I keep that in my nightstand drawer and it helps a lot when I am having trouble breathing. There are no negative side effects, and in fact, it's good for you. You can get them at the drugstore - saline sprays are right next to the evil decongestant nasal sprays.

Good luck! You can do it!

Old 12-05-2010, 02:24 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I have been hooked on Afrin for about 3 weeks and I know I needed to stop. The stuff is amazing, but should be banned because you use more and more until you are carrying around a bottle. My nose is currently locked shut, but I am going to have to ride this out. I was using so much and with the dry air, my nose had tons of dried blood in it. Anyone else hooked or have been hooked on this stuff? You can laugh, but it is as addicting as any other drug.
I was hooked on Neo-Synephrine for a couple of years in the 70's.

When I decided to get off of it..........I went from 1% down to 1/4%, if I remember correctly, it came in strenghts back then.

When I got to the lowest strength, I would pry the cap off and add water to dilute it even further, until I was using just water, then I stopped completely.

Please, don't say the word "ban", people with colds shouldn't have to suffer because some people get hooked. As a matter of fact, I use the moisturinzing Afrin when I have a cold now, I just make sure I don't over do it.

My advice, pry the cap off {can't remember now if you can do this with the Afrin bottle} ..... if the cap doesn't come off, cut it off ......buy a nasal saline spray and pry the cap off of that and mix the two.

Just keep watering down the Afrin. I would also by a warm mist humidifier and keep it nearby........it will make it easier to deal with your dry nose until you are completely healed. That humidifier will come in handy when you just have a cold too, they make it easier to breath when you have a stuffy nose.

The warm mist humidifiers also have a place to add medication to the steam when you have a cold.

Last edited by Annie53; 12-05-2010 at 02:37 PM..

Old 12-05-2010, 02:42 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
I had the same problem. Get a big can of nasal saline solution and use this as often as u need it. That should help out.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I have news for you. I've used the stuff DAILY for more than 15 years, and I'm not addicted to it yet.

LOL

good for you taking the first step. It's not easy....

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-05-2010, 03:05 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
My ENT told me not to use it more than a day or so b/c you can get re-bound stuffiness. You can make your own saline spray quite cheaply and use a baby syringe to squirt it up your nose. Ahhh, warm saline is wonderful when you have a stopped up nose!

Old 12-06-2010, 06:18 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
I have used it off and on for years. I never realized it was addictive because no matter how long I used it, I never had a problem when I just stopped. I had a doctor tell me years ago, not to use it more than 5 days in a row so I won't use it any longer than that without a break and only use it when I have to, when the stuffiness is the worst.

What I do use often is Vicks Vapor Rub when I am having a problem. I use a Q-tip and rub a little around in my nose.. Works like a charm for me.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:01 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,632 times
Laugh? That stuff is more addictive than smoking, drinking, or any narcotic I've tried. I used it for a day and it took 3 days for the unbearable stuffiness to subside. Won't touch it again!

Old 12-06-2010, 04:21 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
Bad news...I hit the Afrin once yesterday and once today. I couldn't take it anymore. I did wait both time until it was at it's worst. Once per day is a lot less than the 6-10 times I was doing it per day.

This is going to be a trial and error process.

Last edited by kentuckydad95; 12-06-2010 at 05:34 PM..

Old 12-06-2010, 04:54 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,548 times
Did you try the Saline Spray instead???? Do yourself a favor and try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness