Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 02:31 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,021,348 times

Advertisements

I have a very bad problem with slow wound healing. As a result, I have been tested multiple times for diabetes, all to show blood sugars are even better than normal. If I get one scratch, it seems to linger for months. I have had several surgeries and have doctors scratching their heads as to why my wounds will not close up and heal properly. Usually takes anywhere between 6 months to a year to finally get the wounds to close up. I have to endure very painful procedures to debride the wounds to help get the wound to close. Also, I end up getting very ugly scars.

Anyone have an idea why this would occur? I am anxious to find an answer to this problem as it plagues me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 03:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
If you are taking aspirin it would tend to thin out the blood.
Or maybe something you are eating regularly could be causing the problem.Google

Old 01-16-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you are taking aspirin it would tend to thin out the blood.
Or maybe something you are eating regularly could be causing the problem.Google
Thanks for the information. Looking through the list, nothing really stood out as something I eat frequently. I also have incredibly low blood pressure - I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:58 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Thanks for the information. Looking through the list, nothing really stood out as something I eat frequently. I also have incredibly low blood pressure - I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
I was going to suggest arterial narrowing, but that would have a similar effect of reducing blood flow to the site.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:36 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,854 times
any number of things can slow down wound healing (too many to list here). some common ones (aside from diabetes) include:

- smoking - as well as being bad for your lungs and heart, smoking will most definitely slow down the healing following an injury, or post-surgery
- age - not a great deal you can do about this one - the older we get, the slower our cells replicate to replace damaged tissue, including skin
- obesity - fatty tissue doesn't have enough a great blood supply, so if you have a deep wound (e.g. post operatively) there is a greater chance of wound breakdown
- infection - not only of the wound itself, but if you have a systemic infection, it will likely slow down the speed at which the a wound will heal
- dehydration - wounds heal best in a moist environment which is facilitated by most modern wound dressings. if the wound gets dehydrated, healing takes longer, and the outcome is generally worse
- drugs - steroids and some anti inflammatory drugs will slow down wound healing
- poor diet - particularly deficiencies of vitamin C and zinc
- poor circulation
- any chronic illness - due to a combination of any of the above factors, but also due to your immune system being occupied with something more serious.

i dont know if any of these apply to you - it could just be that its "one of those things", or that you've been unlucky with respect to your surgical experiences.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 AM

523 posts, read 3,804,854 times
one other thought - repeated surgery on the same location will often cause issues with healing - the previously scarred tissue does not heal nearly as well as a new incision.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Anything that hurts the circulation will have the same effect.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I wonder if I am just "different" as I have not yet been able to find any specific reason this occurs. The only other thing "different" about me, as I stated before is my extremely low blood pressue (80/40). I do worry about this as I age because apparently your ability to heal as you age is also compromised.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:05 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,804,813 times
Have you ever tried Manuka honey for your wounds? It has an outstanding reputation for wound treatment and can be purchased on Amazon.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:50 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,085 times
My wound care nurse suggested upping my protein for wound healing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness