Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 11:11 PM

433 posts, read 1,370,559 times

Advertisements

My short history with coffee has been really weird. I started drinking it regularly since I was 16 or 17. Having a cup in the morning would keep me awake and normal for the day. If I had another cup in the afternoon I would be also be good and I'd be able to fall asleep normal at night at the time I wanted to (around 10, 11, 12, etc.).

But I noticed that ever since I turned 18, coffee has been treating me different. Having just one cup in the morning would give me a hard time falling asleep later at night. Why? It's just one cup. Why did it start treating me differently? I decided to stop drinking it and I've been kinda good without it for nearly a year now. I'm turning 20 in a month and I just started drinking it again because I now work as a cashier-stocker in a store and it requires me to be more alert. It takes a while for me to fall asleep though because of just that 1 cup of coffee I have in the morning.

Anyone know why coffee does this to me? Something happens in your body when you turn 18 or is it just my body?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 11:30 AM

665 posts, read 1,728,964 times
Caffiene is a powerful diuretic. Caffiene makes you expell important nutrients through urine and sweat. Without these nutrients the caffeine will do a lot of damage to your nervous system, not to mention your liver, kidneys and hormonal balance.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:32 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
Caffiene is a powerful diuretic. Caffiene makes you expell important nutrients through urine and sweat. Without these nutrients the caffeine will do a lot of damage to your nervous system, not to mention your liver, kidneys and hormonal balance.
To keep things in perspective, you would have to drink about 9 cups of coffee per day on average to have an effect on the health of an otherwise well person.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
To keep things in perspective, you would have to drink about 9 cups of coffee per day on average to have an effect on the health of an otherwise well person.
define "otherwise well'

Old 08-08-2011, 11:38 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
My short history with coffee has been really weird. I started drinking it regularly since I was 16 or 17. Having a cup in the morning would keep me awake and normal for the day. If I had another cup in the afternoon I would be also be good and I'd be able to fall asleep normal at night at the time I wanted to (around 10, 11, 12, etc.).

But I noticed that ever since I turned 18, coffee has been treating me different. Having just one cup in the morning would give me a hard time falling asleep later at night. Why? It's just one cup. Why did it start treating me differently? I decided to stop drinking it and I've been kinda good without it for nearly a year now. I'm turning 20 in a month and I just started drinking it again because I now work as a cashier-stocker in a store and it requires me to be more alert. It takes a while for me to fall asleep though because of just that 1 cup of coffee I have in the morning.

Anyone know why coffee does this to me? Something happens in your body when you turn 18 or is it just my body?
I would sell my soul to have that kind of caffeine sensitivity.

As for you question, I can only say that your metabolism changes throughout your lifetime. Are you eating anything in between? That has a lot to do with absorption as well. You might want to cut back to 1/2 regular and 1/2 decaf coffee. maybe that will help.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-08-2011, 11:41 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
define "otherwise well'
A person who doesn't suffer from other diseases relating to metabolism, such as those concerning the thyroid gland, or diabetes. Also, bodies with compromised cardiovascular systems can have restless exhaustion with caffeine intake.

Even those who build up a tolerance to the "effects" of caffeine on day to day activities, can be damaging their bodies if the intake a high level of caffeine.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A person who doesn't suffer from other diseases relating to metabolism, such as those concerning the thyroid gland, or diabetes. Also, bodies with compromised cardiovascular systems can have restless exhaustion with caffeine intake.

Ok, now maybe you can explain how a twenty year old would know if he or she would have any of these situations that may be simply undiagnosed.

Bottom line, any amount of coffee over two cups is detrimental to ANYONE"S health.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
To the OP: you do realize sodas have caffeine? Do you drink them?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:54 PM

433 posts, read 1,370,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
To the OP: you do realize sodas have caffeine? Do you drink them?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
That's sort of another problem. I drink them sometimes, but never at night anymore as it would give me sleeping problems during the night. Same goes for anything sweet at night. Now that I think about it, these problems have come up at the same time as this coffee issue I mentioned.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:45 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Quote:

Uh, there is something called "eating", one of the purposes of this crazy task is to replace what you lose via various bodily functions.

A lot of nerve damage from caffeine consumption...........erm, most likely not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness