Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 05:59 PM

18,951 posts, read 11,615,465 times

Advertisements

CBS 60 Minutes had a report tonight by Dr Sanjay Gupta. In it, he interviewed multiple people, shared scientific reports, and addressed a number of ways in which sugar can be toxic to humans. A couple of the highlights focused on the connection between sugar intake and both heart disease and cancer. I'm interested to know if any of you saw the show this evening, your reactions/interpretations, and whether you can provide any links to data he presented in the report - especially the one linking sugar to cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 06:13 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,049,820 times
I think this is the study you want, regarding cancer cell adaptation and insulin receptors.

The problem in my diet is not the obvious sugars, but the refined, phony sugar in almost everything in the grocery store. I can resist a cupcake or a soda. Soda, especially, just sets my throat on fire. But I probably eat four or five peanut butter sandwiches a week. That's refined sugar in both the peanut butter and the wheat bread. Not many of us have time for a proper diet, and the processed food industry knows it.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:31 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,701,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
I think this is the study you want, regarding cancer cell adaptation and insulin receptors.

The problem in my diet is not the obvious sugars, but the refined, phony sugar in almost everything in the grocery store. I can resist a cupcake or a soda. Soda, especially, just sets my throat on fire. But I probably eat four or five peanut butter sandwiches a week. That's refined sugar in both the peanut butter and the wheat bread. Not many of us have time for a proper diet, and the processed food industry knows it.
They were not making a distinction between types of sugars. They said regular sugar and corn syrup are identical because they both contain fructose.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:11 PM

18,951 posts, read 11,615,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
The problem in my diet is not the obvious sugars, but the refined, phony sugar in almost everything in the grocery store. I probably eat four or five peanut butter sandwiches a week. That's refined sugar in both the peanut butter and the wheat bread. Not many of us have time for a proper diet, and the processed food industry knows it.
Thanks for your post and link. I remember when all those articles came out about corn syrup being in everything. I eat a lot of peanut butter, too - usually Jif. I decided to make a small change and now often get the Smuckers Natural peanut butter. All it is is peanuts and a dab of salt. It separates so you have to stir it up and store it in the fridge but it's good and one small way to avoid some corn syrup and additives.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:44 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,943,266 times
I can't figure out why this is news.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:53 AM

915 posts, read 2,131,801 times
There is one kind of peanut butter, available even at Walmart, which does not have sugar: Smuckers. Sugar is in everything! I don't eat meat, but it's even in bologna, I believe.

I missed this progam and I wanted to see it. If it's on again, please let me know? There is an old book, Sugar Blues, about the addictive properties of sugar. I won't have it in the house. I use Truvia, which I think is actually good for you. It's more expensive than Splenda, but better for you. It also doesn't foam in your coffee like Splenda does, but I gave up Splenda.

I'm a vegetarian, nearly a vegan -- and it's very, very difficult to get bread that doesn't have sugar and eggs in it. You can sometimes get it in health food stores. Of course you can make it, but that's also more work that I have time for as a rule. What keeps me from being a vegan are eggs and yogurt. And yes, I get plenty of protein (the first thing non-vegetarians bring up).

Old 04-02-2012, 07:06 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,440,418 times
So what about what this bore says, I'm really underweight and will eat 4000 bleedin calories a day of sugar, fat etc.. to gain weight if that's what it takes. Unlike most people I don't have an addiction to sugar, but by being underweight I have to make a concious effort to gain weight, it's actually really difficult, but bring on the sugar.

Anyway I' ve had enough of these typical think-they-know-it-all BSers who come on and say some generally dishonest vacuous imperative statement like "SUGAR IS TOXIC.... AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!111!.

Who do they think they're trying to kid? Without sugar you'd be dead, it's the No.1 source of fuel for your body's cells, brain, muscles, etc... if some people's body's can't handle sugar because they have defective genetics then that's their problem not sugar's fault. And if you don't believe that, then explain why some people, even all eating the same diet laden with sugar, etc, get diabetes when MOST people can still eat like that and NEVER develop it. Huh? It isn't a damn toxin, any more than oxygen, or water is. Too much of anything can be bad for you or inflame your body. It makes me wretch when I read this kind of trash.

These people pretend to have some kind of altruistic motive, to pretend they are informing us of "risks" to help us, when in reality they just want the attention, and to be notorious for their views or looking like some kind of noble savior, well what baloney. I sure ain't gonna start fretting about how many grams of sugar are hidden in my Bratwurst or any thing else for that matter, I'm not that sad. Oh and don't have any sign of any of these disease they keep threatening us about.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 04-02-2012 at 07:16 AM..

Old 04-02-2012, 08:03 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,527,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
So what about what this bore says, I'm really underweight and will eat 4000 bleedin calories a day of sugar, fat etc.. to gain weight if that's what it takes. Unlike most people I don't have an addiction to sugar, but by being underweight I have to make a concious effort to gain weight, it's actually really difficult, but bring on the sugar.

Anyway I' ve had enough of these typical think-they-know-it-all BSers who come on and say some generally dishonest vacuous imperative statement like "SUGAR IS TOXIC.... AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!111!.

Who do they think they're trying to kid? Without sugar you'd be dead, it's the No.1 source of fuel for your body's cells, brain, muscles, etc... if some people's body's can't handle sugar because they have defective genetics then that's their problem not sugar's fault. And if you don't believe that, then explain why some people, even all eating the same diet laden with sugar, etc, get diabetes when MOST people can still eat like that and NEVER develop it. Huh? It isn't a damn toxin, any more than oxygen, or water is. Too much of anything can be bad for you or inflame your body. It makes me wretch when I read this kind of trash.

These people pretend to have some kind of altruistic motive, to pretend they are informing us of "risks" to help us, when in reality they just want the attention, and to be notorious for their views or looking like some kind of noble savior, well what baloney. I sure ain't gonna start fretting about how many grams of sugar are hidden in my Bratwurst or any thing else for that matter, I'm not that sad. Oh and don't have any sign of any of these disease they keep threatening us about.
I kinda have to agree, because if sugar was really as toxic as that guy insists, I'd been worm food ages ago...lol. I was the kid that put "extra" sugar in almost everything, and I was drawn to Coke machines like a magnet. I'm still addicted to the stuff...lol. Last time I had my blood checked however, I got a fasting sugar level of 99, so I'm still "in the green" as far as that goes. I do think sugar may be bad for some people, but not all - this is why I never got on the anti-fat bandwagon either - ain't nobody gonna keep me away from my bacon...lol.

I admit I need to lose a few, but that's what the gym's for.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:11 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,289,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
CBS 60 Minutes had a report tonight by Dr Sanjay Gupta. In it, he interviewed multiple people, shared scientific reports, and addressed a number of ways in which sugar can be toxic to humans. A couple of the highlights focused on the connection between sugar intake and both heart disease and cancer. I'm interested to know if any of you saw the show this evening, your reactions/interpretations, and whether you can provide any links to data he presented in the report - especially the one linking sugar to cancer.
I watched it last night also toosie.
I contemplated giving up sugar...while I lit a cigarette...
Life is complicated.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:41 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,030,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post

Large amounts of refined sugar is what is killing Americans by making them obese, leading to diabetes and cancer. Just because you're the exception to the rule doesn't mean that people should not be alarmed about the disease brought on by nutrition poor diets. It's not all about you, ya know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness