Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:12 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,070 times

Advertisements

Here's a link for a clip from the show, perhaps someone uploaded the show to Youtube, although due to copyright issues I doubt it, but I'll do a search and see if it's available anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 11:22 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,070 times
Here it is! The whole thing:
Is sugar toxic? - YouTube

The following is mentioned in there, it's over one hour long so beware:

Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube

Old 04-04-2012, 06:23 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
Thank you Mike and Tired for the links! I'll check them out when I'm back this afternoon.

Typically, I subscribe to "everything in moderation" and that too much of anything can be bad for you. We've known for decades that too much sugar can be harmful: empty calories that lead to weight gain without beneficial nutrients (often displacing healthier foods in the diet); tooth decay which, in turn, can lead to heart disease; diabetes; it factors in attention and mood disorders; etc. You'd be hard pressed to find any western doctor, or eastern or other practitioner recommending that anyone ingest more sugar. In fact, I doubt any of them would even suggest that sugar in any amount is actually good for you or necessary. At most, they might say a little won't hurt you.

Like Tired, I've also heard people link too much sugar consumption to cancer before. In the past, this was only from 'alternative' practitioners - I'd never seen any hard science or sources more accepted as credible espousing that theory. My impression from the glimpse of the show that I did get, is that now there is hard science to support the theory that any amount of sugar - not just too much - can, essentially, feed cancer. As someone undergoing cancer treatment now, and someone who gets over half her calories from carbs and sugar, I'm interested to know more about the study(s).

Weather
, I tend to agree with Tired's post to you. You seem to be guilty of the very thing you accuse the report producers of being - reactionary and uninformed. You might have a hard time keeping weight on but empty sugar calories still aren't the best way to do that. And as was pointed out, you don't need any refined sugar ever to survive - the brain and body can get all the glucose it needs from complex carbs (and even at that, it's a modest amount).
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I watched it last night also toosie. I contemplated giving up sugar...while I lit a cigarette...
Life is complicated.
Exactly, Glory! I just wanna know all sides and then decide for myself if I want to do anything about it - all about choices and informed decisions

Old 04-04-2012, 06:27 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
I think this is the study you want, regarding cancer cell adaptation and insulin receptors.

The problem in my diet is not the obvious sugars, but the refined, phony sugar in almost everything in the grocery store. I can resist a cupcake or a soda. Soda, especially, just sets my throat on fire. But I probably eat four or five peanut butter sandwiches a week. That's refined sugar in both the peanut butter and the wheat bread. Not many of us have time for a proper diet, and the processed food industry knows it.
You can choose to buy whole grain (I mean seriously nutty grain) bread and natural peanut butter that is just blended up peanuts.

It's amazing how delicious that actually is.

I think with sugar, it's all about using it like any other drug. We don't advocate overdosing on alcohol. Or caffeine. Maybe a drink here and there. If you use a teaspoon of sugar here and there, I don't see how it's a problem. Now, if everything you put in your mouth is loaded with refined sugars/hfcs...there is gonna be a problem.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:10 AM

841 posts, read 1,917,283 times
If I could give up my sugar addiction I'd be okay. It bothers me everything is loaded with sugar or corn syrup.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:14 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Just for info, Oscar Mayer hot dogs are the only ones I know of that don't have sugar added. Thanks to the late Dr. Atkins for that tip.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:42 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,197,347 times
Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Many years ago I had a class where the instructor told us that sugar suppresses the immune system. He posited that that annual bout of colds and flu begins with the sugary candy at Halloween, then on through the pies, cakes and cookies of the November-December holiday season.

Here's a link to explain the link of sugar to immune system suppression, plus 3 other factors that may be involved.
Thanks Mike!

Old 04-20-2012, 12:24 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Just for info, Oscar Mayer hot dogs are the only ones I know of that don't have sugar added. Thanks to the late Dr. Atkins for that tip.
Key word in that sentence is ADDED....

They sure as heck have sugar in them!

Oscar Meyer hot dogs *ugh* have corn syrup and High fructose corn syrup in them!

Plus, don't forget, their alleged "healthy" hot dogs (wow, what an oxymoron)
has evaporated cane juice, marketing speak for SUGAR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness