Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 01:55 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,283 times

Advertisements

I'm 46 if this helps. I have had symptoms since 34 I'd say. It was heavy periods for awhile. I went through the whole gyno scare. They said I had cysts. The doctor sucked and had me nearly dead and buried without explaining cysts are normal.
I've been through about 5 or 6 gynos by now.

I was on progesterone a few times over the years for the heavy bleeding which comes on and off. It helped and I got off it.

I've been through the blood tests on and off. It's like a merry-go-round with doctors. I had one great one but we moved so I was stuck with another bad gyno who only wanted me to do MORE testing.

I have no family history to really go on apart from my mom's. She went through her last heavy period at my age. Her gyno at the time said okay this is it and had the nerve to book her for a hysterectomy. She said no way and never saw a gyno again.

My grandma had a hysterectomy very young before 40 due to heavy bleeding. That's what they did back then.

I thought maybe it's not peri, but something else. I don't have medical right now so I can't see the doctor but I am so sick of them anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 08:14 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
There are nightgowns & PJs that are made of 'wicking' material so that your clothes will not be dripping. There is also an insert for pillows called a "chillow" and that helps too. You might want to try something called "icool" which can also help. Oh, and as others have mentioned have a fan bedside so that you can turn it on when hot.

Oh, the 'low tech' way to cool down could be gel packs that you place in the freezer and keep bedside in a cooler. Please be certain to wrap it in a cloth so that it does not damage your skin; and place the packs on the back of your neck ( and under your breasts) for a quick cool down.

Even with all of the hot flashes I was sooo grateful for my hysterectomy at age 44- it has helped with my pain from large cysts that were always forming on my ovaries and tumors that would 'gum' up my uterus- I wish that my Doc had okayed the hysterectomy when the issues first started in my early 30s- I already had 2 children and had no wish for any more!

OP-
I hope that you find relief in some of the suggestions that everyone has reccomended...

Old 04-17-2012, 04:09 AM

Thanks again.

I slept a little better last night and longer through the night but woke up at 5 am.

I'm trying to avoid eating anything past a certain time. I wonder if that was causing problems. I'm not a night eater like some but if I have a bowl of cereal after 8 it seems to bother me.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:02 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
I can sure relate to this--having a hard time sleeping at night, esp if I exercise in the evening and these days I'm out dancing about 3 nights/week and not willing to give it up. I don't wake up with the night sweats but I wake up freezing b/c I've thrown the covers off and last night had to toss the dog out of the BR b/c she kept sneezing. And this is just beginning. . .

Old 04-18-2012, 06:41 AM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times
when I used to get my hot flashes I slept with the A/C on at night even in December LOL. Thankfully the hot flashes are gone.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:32 AM

I am under a lot of stress now so I think my non-sleeping is part of this.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:05 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,850,639 times
Which gets back to the adrenal issue which is key.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:42 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,070 times
Oh yeah, adrenal problems can make perimenopause hell!

When my Mom was found to have breast cancer several years ago I began thinking I should stop taking estrogen so I did. Not being in favor of isoflavones, which are contraindicated for someone like me with thyroid problems anyway, I think I only tried another "natural alternative" (black cohosh) which not only takes very long to work (never saw the results myself during my first and only bottle but I read it's not good for people with sluggish liver function so for a long time I took nothing, but my hot flashes and the climate in S. FL were totally incompatible (I remember I even bought a "Chillow" to help me stay cool at night...) and not having health insurance anymore I took matters into my own hand and just ordered estradiol (the most active form, recommended in a book written by a female doctor who went through hell herself) tabs through the internet. What I do is crush a few in a pill crusher and just dip the tip of my index finger and place whatever it catches under my tongue, I don't even have to do it every day, I discovered that when I began to forget doing it, amazingly enough that bit of estradiol keeps those awful hot flashes and night sweats away from me, and three 30 tab (2 mg. ea.)
packets last me for a year or longer.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:42 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Thanks again.

I slept a little better last night and longer through the night but woke up at 5 am.

I'm trying to avoid eating anything past a certain time. I wonder if that was causing problems. I'm not a night eater like some but if I have a bowl of cereal after 8 it seems to bother me.
Has the OP tried a simple Melatonin supplement right before bedtime? Dark room, no TV, no computer use 2 hrs. before bedtime, etc...?

Old 04-19-2012, 11:09 AM

Thanks for more ideas.

Last night I finally got my husband to agree to leave the window open a little and it was cold in the room and I slept much better.

Perhaps my room is just too warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness