Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 01:42 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times

Advertisements

sleep with a fan on I used to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 09:05 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,381 times
I found that chocolate and caffine seemed to make my hot flashes worse. As for Hubby, one morning I asked him,"Ya know that women can get by with murder when they have pms, wonder if the same thing applies for hot flashes?" He now agrees to any sleeping arrangement I might want to make.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:41 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Which gets back to the adrenal issue which is key.
Do you know how long it takes to get your adrenals back to functioning? I'm pretty sure mine are whacked right now and I thought it would be a matter of a couple of weeks but I'm still really tired and can't seem to lose any weight. I eat healthy and fairly low carb and exercise and I take fish oil, multivitamins with extra B and D, Mg, and ALA and sometimes take other antioxidants like astaxanthin. I keep thinking that I'll feel better soon but perimeno is just starting and I look like hell too. I don't think it's my thyroid but haven't had that checked in a couple of years at least and I know I'm not diabetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
I found that chocolate and caffine seemed to make my hot flashes worse. As for Hubby, one morning I asked him,"Ya know that women can get by with murder when they have pms, wonder if the same thing applies for hot flashes?" He now agrees to any sleeping arrangement I might want to make.
Good thing I don't have my ex any more--I'd be in prison by now. I just started hot flashing with any consistency in the last month or so and I've noticed more nausea with it than heat. That's funny b/c I never had morning sickness much at all with my two babies, but the most reliable sign that I'm flashing is that feeling in the pit of my stomach--somewhere halfway between deep hunger pangs and nausea. Anyone else get that? Well time for a nap to catch up on the sleep I've lost.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:37 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,381 times
Yep, but the racing heart was the worst problem for me. Felt like I was going to die.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:45 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Good thing I don't have my ex any more--I'd be in prison by now. I just started hot flashing with any consistency in the last month or so and I've noticed more nausea with it than heat. That's funny b/c I never had morning sickness much at all with my two babies, but the most reliable sign that I'm flashing is that feeling in the pit of my stomach--somewhere halfway between deep hunger pangs and nausea. Anyone else get that? Well time for a nap to catch up on the sleep I've lost.
I think I get that funky stomach feeling - never connected it with anything else before! huh. I find when I first notice a flash, the front of my neck and near my glands gets hot. Then I turn on a fan as soon as possible! Usually I just get my chest & head flashing. or maybe it's just a flush. too hot, though!

Old 04-24-2012, 12:00 AM

910 posts, read 2,293,070 times
Normal hot flashes are just a sudden "heat wave" that passes rather quickly. Any other symptoms besides that, especially panicky feelings, are almost sure to be something else, adrenal as some of you already know but it could also be liver issues, which I had and didn't know until 2010. So it would be good to have "everything" checked with lab tests by a doctor you trust, and if not possible, then do a good detoxing diet, a very good one is organic juicing that includes raw beets (great for the liver) and various greens (for the chlorophyll which is very detoxing) 3 or 4 days at the end of which one eases into solids again with a vegetable soup and then a dinner of perhaps wild caught salmon, vegetables and salad or something like that.

After periods of great stress when I've experienced another adrenal "crash", an adrenal support supplement with some adrenal cortex extract and vitamins has helped me recover, regular magnesium too without which I could not relax, and as mentioned before staying away from caffeine and other stimulants. But another thing I discovered is that I'd developed food sensitivities, which went unnoticed for a long time, and they aggravated everything, so if any of you suspect anything along those lines please listen to your bodies, they will often try to tell us what to stay away from even in the form of out of control cravings.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:38 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
I'm going to pipe in and mention that I was having major heat issues at night, heart racing, etc. Ended up being hyperthyroid - was diagnosed with Grave's disease. Sometimes a regular test might not be enough to detect thyroid problems, they might need to do the more detailed one.

Just a thought for anyone having certain issues.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:08 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I'm going to pipe in and mention that I was having major heat issues at night, heart racing, etc. Ended up being hyperthyroid - was diagnosed with Grave's disease. Sometimes a regular test might not be enough to detect thyroid problems, they might need to do the more detailed one.

Just a thought for anyone having certain issues.
Glad you mentioned that, I forgot that! In fact, I believe there's some other reasons too. And speaking of thyroid, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is also an autoimmune disease like Graves, can have periods of hyperthyroidism too and requires tests for antibodies too.

I was taken off meds a lot of years ago and have had my "ups and downs", and the downs are always related to what I eat. I learned there is a relationship between the intolerance of certain foods like wheat and probably other gluten containing grains, also dairy, in the increase of anti-bodies. I also learned that selenium and Vit. B-12 can reduce those antibodies, but abstinence is really the key for me because when some of the times I've cheated the consequences have lasted for a good while.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:15 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Look up homeopathy medicines....there are a few that help the symptoms of menopause. If you'd rather use over the counter meds, ask your pharmacist, there are a couple out...just don't have the names. I am thankful to be thru it....it is rough, but doable. Somethings that help are limiting your caffeine, coffee, sodas. Soaking in a nice relaxing bath. Exercise so you're more tired in the evening...walks help. You mostly have to just bare it. LOL...Cranky...That reminds me of a trip I took, met my sister and my used to be best friend..before I moved sates away. Both of them were in the middle of just starting menopause.....I'll never do that again...........lol

Old 04-25-2012, 07:24 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
insomnia is often a big aspect of menopause - and seldom gets mentioned. I have a couple of friend swho have a lot of trouble with it.

Some people's hot flashes are lessened by taking Black Cohosh capsules - you can get them at a vitamin/health food store for about $10 bottle. It did seem to help me last year, but I ran out and just haven't managed to stop and get them again. However.. I did have to take about 3 of them at a time, 3x day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness