Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 11:42 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Over the past 2 months, I am noticing many things in my life that I would have never thought would happen last year. Last year, I was the king of ice cream. I guzzled pop like it was water. I did eat healthy things like fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as cook my own food. However, last year I often ate things like Chick-Fil-A, as well as other places that weren't so good for me. My main mode of transportation was a bicycle, so at least I had exercise. Other things I ate alot of included cookies, cake, potato chips, fries, large amounts of pizza(a whole pizza by myself in one sitting). I also would eat ice cream and then sleep on it.

Today, I think about many things. I haven't had ice cream in about 2 months. I haven't had any cookies, pop, cake, doughnuts, fries, or chips in about that time. I still love my cheese. However, I don't eat pizza like I used to. I don't have the same cravings for those things as I used to. Now I reach for the yogurt.

I think about the things I stopped doing and I consider how much of a change I went through. I never thought there would be a day where I would stop craving certain things, and now it feels rather shocking. It's a good thing, but it is still kind of a shock for me.

I started this thread because I wonder how other people relate to things like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 11:48 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Over the past 2 months, I am noticing many things in my life that I would have never thought would happen last year. Last year, I was the king of ice cream. I guzzled pop like it was water. I did eat healthy things like fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as cook my own food. However, last year I often ate things like Chick-Fil-A, as well as other places that weren't so good for me. My main mode of transportation was a bicycle, so at least I had exercise. Other things I ate alot of included cookies, cake, potato chips, fries, large amounts of pizza(a whole pizza by myself in one sitting). I also would eat ice cream and then sleep on it.

Today, I think about many things. I haven't had ice cream in about 2 months. I haven't had any cookies, pop, cake, doughnuts, fries, or chips in about that time. I still love my cheese. However, I don't eat pizza like I used to. I don't have the same cravings for those things as I used to. Now I reach for the yogurt.

I think about the things I stopped doing and I consider how much of a change I went through. I never thought there would be a day where I would stop craving certain things, and now it feels rather shocking. It's a good thing, but it is still kind of a shock for me.

I started this thread because I wonder how other people relate to things like this.

Big changes for me, too. Joined a gym, and started working out. Got a trainer and a nutrition counselor. I"ve been at 10 months or so and I'm down 40 lbs. I feel great, I sleep great, I look great, and my blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose levels are.....great!

Old 04-12-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Big changes for me, too. Joined a gym, and started working out. Got a trainer and a nutrition counselor. I"ve been at 10 months or so and I'm down 40 lbs. I feel great, I sleep great, I look great, and my blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose levels are.....great!
Sounds like good changes for you. A healthier way to live for you.

When I was a student(before I graduated from my university), I would go to the gym, I would ride everywhere on my bicycle. However, I was still a junk food junkie.

I haven't paid any attention to my glucose levels or cholesterol, and I should pay attention to them(haven't been to a doctor lately).

Your sleep, well, you probably sleep better than I do. I have irregular sleep. I could be bouncing around at 12AM and feel like I need a nap at 3PM.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:24 PM

For me, the change in eating habits has a personal meaning for me. When I was a child, I thought nothing about eating pizza, drinking pop, eating alot of fried food, McDonalds Happy Meals, Wendy's Kids Meals, and in general, not so good stuff. The thing is, this stuff has some memories for me. Being a child, I loved the times when I went to McDonalds(and other fast food places) and went for the kids meals. Cheesecake has a meaning to me because it reminds me of the happier moments in my adolescence. Same goes for ramen. I could do alot of things with ramen. Now, I can't stand to look at the stuff anymore.

In a big way, not having the cravings for these foods is good. It is functional because I live healthier. On the other hand, I feel like alot of memories are going to drift away because of it. Whenever I get into my nostalgic moments, sometimes I would reach for that food that would remind me of being young.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:50 PM

Has anyone ever felt a nostalgia tied to food?

Old 04-17-2013, 01:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,209 times
Quote:
There were times I feel that but once in a blue moon.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:05 AM

432 posts, read 1,228,659 times
Sometimes I crave what I can't have because it is not available in Australia.

For instance, I only eat bacon every 6 months or so as it is nothing like the bacon in the US. I "love" the strips of bacon over there and every once in a while I crave it. Not that I used to eat it much anyway but every time I go home for a visit I have to have crispy bacon.

I also like to have the cinnamon rolls that come in the round containers that you "pop open" and bake in your oven and then cover in icing. Nothing like that here, yum.

Over here I do have a healthy diet and exercise to keep fit. My down fall is cheese. I did start eating the "low fat" cheese thinking that was better but after researching it, not so. Added sodium, and other ingredients that are actually worse for you. So now I eat any type of cheese I want I just make sure that its small portions and limit myself to how often.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:29 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Very much so.

Graham crackers always do that for me. They remind me of elementary school snack break, when we'd have 2 graham crackers, a half-pint of milk, and then silently lay our heads down on our little schooldesks for 15 minutes every day.

Chicken soup - reminds me of being comforted by mom when I had my childhood stomach viruses.

Kraft Mac & Cheese with tuna sandwiches gives me a fleeting image of youthful winters, making snow forts, dad taking us to the park to sled down the hill on bright yellow plastic sled-sheets.

Certain colors do the same kind of thing for me. Browns and greens = kite flying with dad in the park in March.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Very much so.

Graham crackers always do that for me. They remind me of elementary school snack break, when we'd have 2 graham crackers, a half-pint of milk, and then silently lay our heads down on our little schooldesks for 15 minutes every day.

Chicken soup - reminds me of being comforted by mom when I had my childhood stomach viruses.

Kraft Mac & Cheese with tuna sandwiches gives me a fleeting image of youthful winters, making snow forts, dad taking us to the park to sled down the hill on bright yellow plastic sled-sheets.

Certain colors do the same kind of thing for me. Browns and greens = kite flying with dad in the park in March.
This is part of the reason I have had to think about many things. I go into the store and I no longer have a craving for doughnuts, ice cream, pop, or those other foods I ate. Same goes for McDonalds.

However, I think about those times when I ate those foods, and the feeling I got. On one hand, I'm much healthier for giving up certain foods, or at least not eating them nearly as much. Would one slice of birthday cake hurt me. Not if I were to eat it for just that day, and to not make a habit of eat it. However, I feel like I might go and pig out on it.

I guess the biggest part of this is that I am leaving some memories behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness