Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 03:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

I have no doubt that I could be an alcoholic if I drank. That doesn't mean I've never drank. I did when I was younger in my late teens and early twenties socially. I was acutely aware of the risks and made sure I didn't make a habit of it.

There are times when I think, "I could sure use a drink." I know those times are the worse times to do it so I never do. I've spent the past the past three decades pretty much only having a few drinks per year, sometimes not having a drink for years in between. It has worked for me.

I know I'm at risk because I'm a very addictive personality and alcoholism runs in my family. I'm just glad I was aware of my risk at a young age.

I do not think that at any point in the future I will become an alcoholic from having one drink. I believe my body would need to develop a tolerance and dependence on it over a period of time. That period of time may be a short period of time, but I don't think it would happen having one drink twice a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 03:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
It's both. There's a gene that makes you predisposed and there are other genes that make you more susceptible. Check out the link I posted, it does a better job of explaining it.
So does this mean an alcoholic was an alcoholic as a small child since his genes were the same?

Old 05-14-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Yes. Something within an alcoholic's brain makes them crave it. It's similar to any addiction...
I can attest to this. I'm not an alcoholic, but I have had cravings for alcohol that came out of the blue for no reason whatsoever. I'd be an alcoholic is I caved on those cravings. I have no doubt about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
There's a gene for alcoholism and genes that make you more susceptible to becoming an alcoholic. However, those genes don't get "turned on" until the alcoholic takes their first drink. So, you could go your whole life carrying the genes but never turning into an alcoholic as long as you never drink.
Maybe for some people it's just a first drink, but I believe it takes more than one drink for most alcoholics.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I could be an alcoholic if I drank.
I know I'm at risk because I'm a very addictive personality and alcoholism runs in my family.
I have had cravings for alcohol.
I'd be an alcoholic is I caved on those cravings. I have no doubt about that.
Does that mean someone who craves alcohol (like an alcoholic) but has enough will power to not drink is not an alcoholic?

Old 05-14-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Does that mean someone who craves alcohol (like an alcoholic) but has enough will power to not drink is not an alcoholic?
No. Not at all. Because recovered alcoholics have willpower to not drink.

Otherwise they wouldn't be recovered. But they're still alcoholics for the rest of their lives.

As for me, I'm saying that I'm AT RISK for becoming an alcoholic. I have to be wise about my interaction with alcohol as a result.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:10 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,726,524 times
Quote:
No. Not at all. Because recovered alcoholics have willpower to not drink.

Otherwise they wouldn't be recovered. But they're still alcoholics for the rest of their lives.

As for me, I'm saying that I'm AT RISK for becoming an alcoholic. I have to be wise about my interaction with alcohol as a result.
I am a recovered alcoholic but my will power was useless in overcoming my illness.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:12 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,726,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It means he is a "Hard Drinker" who may have drank like
an alcoholic for a period of time but was able to successfully use
will power to stop drinking.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
But they're still alcoholics for the rest of their lives.
So circling back to the original question of this thread, wouldn't they have been alcoholics at birth? Meaning, if an alcoholic is a person who can't stop drinking then aren't they an alcoholic if they aren't drinking and they are an alcoholic if they never had a drink?

Old 05-14-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
It means he is a "Hard Drinker" who may have drank like
an alcoholic for a period of time but was able to successfully use
will power to stop drinking.
But he's not an alcoholic? He's just a hard drinker?

Old 05-14-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
I am a recovered alcoholic but my will power was useless in overcoming my illness.
Do you still have this illness?
If you haven't had a drink in ten years, do you still have this illness?
Did you have this illness when you were born?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness