Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:31 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,222,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frainpeggie View Post
I am due to have a toe joint replacement this month March 09 I must admit that I am afrade to have this done but have been told that the joint is too damaged to fuse please wish me luck thank you peggie
I would get another opinion, and one from an Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle surgeon.

I have never heard of a joint that was too damaged to fuse....if the joint was too damaged to fuse it would certainly be too damaged for a replacement.

Fusion of a joint is almost always possible, that is always the fall back for a failed joint replacement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:05 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Quote:
I am due to have a toe joint replacement this month March 09 I must admit that I am afrade to have this done but have been told that the joint is too damaged to fuse please wish me luck thank you peggie
fusion vs. joint replacement:
"Pros:
-pain relief
-the fused joint is stable again
-patients will be able to bear weight on the fused joint without pain
-improved alignment in patients with severe arthritis

Cons:
-joint replacement may still be better option for certain patients
-there is loss of flexibility and motion with a fused joint
-slight possibility of wound healing complications"

Arthrodesis Is Surgical Option for Arthritic Joints - What Is Arthrodesis?

Info on joint replacement:
Joint Replacement Surgery - What You Need to Know About Joint Replacement Surgery

Old 03-09-2009, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 11,017 times
Default 2nd Opinion

Quote:
You may want to get a 2nd opinion, it may be worth the wait. I had a fusion done after several experimental surgeries. I suffered from osteomyelitis. They ended up cutting each end of the joint out and took a piece of bone from my hip to make the fusion. Worked like a charm.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 10,964 times
I just had the surgery four days ago, on Friday. It took about an hour and a half. I was under light anesthesia and was alert at the end of the surgery. I took pain pills regularly for the first three days and didn't allow any pain. I took my last pill yesterday afternoon. I return to the doctor this coming Friday. I think I will probably return to work next week.

The most annoying thing is that they gave me a shoe and told me to walk on my heal. That seemed to put pressure on my toes. So I am using a walker, much like crutches. I also roll around the house in an office chair. I'm almost completely off of that foot.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:10 AM

4 posts, read 44,005 times
Default Toe joint replacement

Thank you all for you replys it is now 4 weeks since my op and I am walking I have managed to get on trainers I saw the consultant yesterday who showed me the x-ray and told me it was 100% success so now I'm just looking forward to going to Spain on the 4th May 09 it still feels a little strange but no real pain I havent even took pain killers I hope that might cheer up anyone havig problems with their toes as I was Thank you all again for your responce and surport

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
I need the joint on my big toe replaced and my Dr. has not provided any info as to what to expect. First of all, it just seems funny that a toe would get a joint replaced. The only website that I could find with any real info stated that a joint replacement is not recomended for an active person.
Questions:
1) heal time
2) better off after or before replacement
3) how long does the joint last
4) problems
I feel lucky that my only health problem is a sore toe!

Old 05-28-2009, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 10,784 times
Default ouch!

I just found out that I need the same operation with a titanium replacement. Any info. about the surgery and recovery would be appreciated. I am an avid aerobics class participant. How soon will I be able to return to that?

Old 05-29-2009, 10:21 AM

4 posts, read 44,005 times
Default Toe Joint

Seven weeks after my op I can walk Ok but still swelled cant get any proper shoes on only trainers and flip flops even had a dance LOL in trainers gets me depressed because I have lots of fancy shoes. I wonder how long it takes for the swelling to go down? anyone got any Idea on that

Old 11-01-2009, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 20,811 times
Default big toe joint replacement

I had the right toe done about 8 yrs ago. It was perfect. I was told I would get back at least 80% flexability, and I did. Without the surgery, I would have been in constant pain, and it would not bend at all.
A person can only research the surgery just so much, you have to trust the dr you are depending on to do the surgery. I know I have a good one.
In Jan. I am having the other one done. Both are a result of dropping something on the toe, and within a few yrs of each incident, the tissue damage/deterioration occurred. Not reversible.
I'll need 3 wks off, but the pain will be gone.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 20,811 times
Old fred.......find a good podiatrist, first of all. Get a recommendation from a dr you already have trust in.
Healing time is about 6-8 wks, per my dr.
First wk, no weight should be put on it at all.
Second-4th wk, (with my surgery), I was on crutches.
5th wk, a follow up visit to my podiatrist.
Used a surgical shoe the entire time and for the 5th/6th wks.
After my follow up visit, my dr had me do my own flex exercises moving my big toe as much as possible.
My dr used a titanium implant, and he said it would outlast me........I had it done when I was 53.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 10,124 times
Default Titanium implant in toe

I had my toe operated on just last week and had a very large arthritic bunion removed. A titanium replacement joint was then inserted. Very painful when I woke up but the painkillers, hydro codone, kept the pain at bay. The toe is feeling fine, still early days, took my first tentative steps yesterday. Seems as if crutches will be the main mode of movement for the next few weeks though. it will be a long healing process but worth it if you are having serious toe problems....I am a very physically active person and I fully intend to be in full swing by spring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness