Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:30 PM

30 posts, read 162,304 times

Advertisements

I need the joint on my big toe replaced and my Dr. has not provided any info as to what to expect. First of all, it just seems funny that a toe would get a joint replaced. The only website that I could find with any real info stated that a joint replacement is not recomended for an active person.
Questions:
1) heal time
2) better off after or before replacement
3) how long does the joint last
4) problems
I feel lucky that my only health problem is a sore toe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 05:42 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
oldfred
I would make sure the Doctor explained it completely. Is he the guy doing the replacement?

I have a friend who had the joint straightened but like you have never heard of the replacement

Remember if you are not comfortable with the Doctors explanation you can get a 2nd opinion

Old 11-03-2007, 06:04 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Yeah, I think a second opinion is in order. You could end up with more problems than you have now.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:36 AM

436 posts, read 810,195 times
Yes, there are toe prosthesis; the great toe being the one most commonly affected. The prosthesis eliminates painful joints or mal occluded joints, thus enablilng flexibility and painless movement to the toe.

The prosthesis is made of solid silicone, and comes in a variety of sizes, to fit the joint. They are held in place by the normal tension of the joint (afforded by the ligaments), but some can also have a cover on the ends, which allows for boney ingrowth to secure it.

The devices are manufactured by Wright Medical Corporation, an orhtopedic device manufacturer and distributor.

They can be inserted by orthopedic surgeons, or podiatrists.

The questions you pose need to be addressed to and discussed with the doctor. Nobody here can tell you about healing time, operating time, expected outcomes, etc., primarily because your lifestyle and current medical history are pertinent to those questions. Nobobody here has your information or x-rays.

Get a referral to a board certified orthopedic surgeon or podiatrist. Some ortho docs will actually refer to a podiatrist, as they do more foot work than the orthopedics do on a daily basis. Ortho's are more concerned, in most cases, with large bone and limb injuries/conditions. Check that person out prior to going "under the knife."

Good luck.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:12 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
Gosh, I would think it would be easier to just take the toe off. We don't use our toes much. But I guess if it's the big toe, that makes a difference.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:18 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Possible problems: infection from surgery, possible reaction to anaesthesia, possibly changing the way you walk which would give you knee or back pain.

Ask the doctor if the prosthesis will allow for a normal "push off" using the big toe. Also ask him if just the metatarsal head (the bump you feel under your toes) is removed or is part of the tarsal (toe) bone removed? What anchors the joint in place? How much flexion (bending) and extension (straightening ) of the toe is expected after surgery? Where will the surgery be done, hospital or doctor's office?

In general, hip and knee replacements have been very succesful. Shoulder, wrist, finger, toe replacements have had more difficulties associated with them, mainly due to the anatomy of these joints.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:26 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
My question is: Are you in a lot of pain or is there a reason you HAVE to have this? I mean it isn't a hip or kneee replacement where you can't get around without it.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:01 AM

30 posts, read 162,304 times
Thanks for your input. To answer a couple of questions that were raised. I was born with a deformed foot that has deteriorarated to the point where the toe will pop out and that will get your attention. I went to the Dr. and suggested that he should just amputate the toe because I have never been able to use it. He would not consider amputation and said that he would have to remove the deformity and install a new joint.
I checked the Dept of Healing Arts web site and he has been licensed for a long time with no complaints. He is the second Dr. that I have seen and they both agree that the joint has to be replaced. I am just concerned that the info that I have been able to find states that this procedure is not for active people. I guess I could have the joint replaced and then have the toe amputated if I have problems. I have really good health insurance, so my cost for the operation will only be $50.00.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Gosh, I would think it would be easier to just take the toe off. We don't use our toes much. But I guess if it's the big toe, that makes a difference.

You are kidding, right?

Old 11-04-2007, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Possible problems: infection from surgery, possible reaction to anaesthesia, possibly changing the way you walk which would give you knee or back pain.

Ask the doctor if the prosthesis will allow for a normal "push off" using the big toe. Also ask him if just the metatarsal head (the bump you feel under your toes) is removed or is part of the tarsal (toe) bone removed? What anchors the joint in place? How much flexion (bending) and extension (straightening ) of the toe is expected after surgery? Where will the surgery be done, hospital or doctor's office?

In general, hip and knee replacements have been very succesful. Shoulder, wrist, finger, toe replacements have had more difficulties associated with them, mainly due to the anatomy of these joints.

The toe joints and finger joints have been around for over thirty years. They are very well refined, and return a person to normalcy in regard to the functions of the toe joint. They are "hinged" in the center, and allow for great extension and flexion.

Yes, as with ANY surgical procedure, there are risks involved. NO surgery is without them. BUT- I believe you will find the potential benefits to outweigh the risks, depending upon your currnet heatlh.

Wright has been manufacturing or distributing these prosthesis over the years, and has a good reputation. Unlike the silicone breast fiasco, these are unaffected. Talk to you phsyician. The surgeon can give you all the information you need regarding the proceure, potential complications, and expected outcomes.

You can also visit the Wright Medicalt seb site at [url="http://www.wmt.com"]

Go to "extremities" and look at the right side of the page, most of the way down. You will find "Swanson Great Toe Prosthesis." If you click on that, there is a PDF link for the surgical procedure.

Again, check the credentials of the surgeon, prior to consenting.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness