Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 04:46 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,310 times

Advertisements

I have been following this subject with great interest for almost a year now and I can definately say that most people quit because something scary or dramatic has to happen to them to "push" them in the direction to be able to quit. And Cold Turkey is the way to go. Sure NRT does help, but in most cases it prolongs the inevitible; Nicotine withdrawal.

In my opinion there is no "when I am ready" I will quit. Everyone knows it is bad for them, and even see loved ones close to them die because of it, but continue to smoke. They see their own health deteriorate and do not stop. They always convince themselves that they will quit soon. When life gets better, when there is less stress, when they are content in life, etc. It is the sobering spot on the chest xray or coughing up blood, or severe pnemonia that aids them in actually stopping. Until this happens most will not quit for good. (Sure a lot of you quit then go back to it later on.) And this does not happen to everyone, as I'm sure you have seen the people who had voice box/throat cancer and continue to smoke with their new stoma. It is said that about 5% of people who try to quit are successful for life! Staggering and sobering isn't it. I applaud all that have overcome this terrible addiction and hope everyone can find the strength and courage to beat this terrible habit.

Maybe the FDA regulating tobacco will help keep kids from starting this vicious cycle of replentishing new victims every single day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 05:40 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
part of a successful quit is learning to identify "junkie thining" and not allowing yourself to act on them. junkie thinking tells you just one, I need one to relax, I have gone this long without one I need one as a reward. keep retraining your mind to what nicotine really is. it is poison plain and simple. I used the patch with some gum on the side. it is great to no longer be a slave to always having to smoke.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:10 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo44 View Post
Food tastes better
I have been smoking for 30+ years and have never even attempted to quit.
Although the last 6 years I've turned to rolling my own cigarettes with the Indian tobacco which contains no chemicals, as least that's what it says.
And, as a result of that, it has greatly reduced my coughing, but, on the other hand, I enjoy it more than ever. I could never, ever buy a pack of cigarettes in the store anymore with all those chemicals.

Now, food tastes better..... That's my greatest worry. How I wish that food would taste horrible after you quit. My sister quit some years ago, gained a lot of weight (which she's never taken off) and she proudly says: Well, at least I'm not smoking! My DAd quit after 50 years of smoking, gained over 50 pounds, and never took it off. And I know people who quit and never gained a pound.

I really don't want to quit completely. My roommate, for the 10 years I've known him, smokes one single cigarette a day after his nightly beer. Another friend smokes three a day, one after each meal. And has hardly ever deviated from that practice. Eat my heart out!

I read of those that say if they start back with one, it snowballs from there.

So my goal is to cut down to a half-dozen a day. Have others done this?
Still smoke, but is no longer out of control?

Old 06-26-2009, 03:09 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm sure it's possible but just unlikely. My wife quit for a year or so. Then started bumming cigarettes (I wouldn't give her any) when we would go out to play pool at a bar or socialize with friends. Within a few months she was back to buying cartons and smoking a pack a day.

I smoked 2+ packs a day for nearly 20 years. I got a bad flu and was in bed for an extended period of time. Since any physical withdrawal symptoms would have been during my semi-comatose phase, I just didn't smoke after I recovered.

Oddly enough, I never had any of the benefits everyone says you get when you quit. Food tasted slightly worse after quitting but now tastes the same as before. My throat became scratchy for a short time after quitting. There was no change in my ability to smell, it's still good. There's no difference in my breathing, I didn't have shortness of breath before and don't now. I never had a smoker's cough and didn't cough after quitting. My energy level is exactly the same. My teeth aren't any whiter.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:41 AM
ttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
I smoked 2+ packs a day for nearly 20 years. I got a bad flu and was in bed for an extended period of time. Since any physical withdrawal symptoms would have been during my semi-comatose phase, I just didn't smoke after I recovered.
WOW this seems like a VERY popular way to quit! My Dad quit this EXACT way 12 years ago.

I really think this is one of the best ways to actually quit, it's like you are forced into quitting. When you get your "mind back" (after nicotine is out of your system) you think clearer and know lighting up another one is NOT the smart thing to do. It's the 3-10 days after you quit cold turkey that is the killer and most people relapse. Congratulations for conquering the nicodemon!

Old 06-27-2009, 05:09 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
Hagen Daz Butter Pecan

Old 06-28-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I have been smoking for 30+ years and have never even attempted to quit.
Although the last 6 years I've turned to rolling my own cigarettes with the Indian tobacco which contains no chemicals, as least that's what it says.
And, as a result of that, it has greatly reduced my coughing, but, on the other hand, I enjoy it more than ever. I could never, ever buy a pack of cigarettes in the store anymore with all those chemicals.

Now, food tastes better..... That's my greatest worry. How I wish that food would taste horrible after you quit. My sister quit some years ago, gained a lot of weight (which she's never taken off) and she proudly says: Well, at least I'm not smoking! My DAd quit after 50 years of smoking, gained over 50 pounds, and never took it off. And I know people who quit and never gained a pound.

I really don't want to quit completely. My roommate, for the 10 years I've known him, smokes one single cigarette a day after his nightly beer. Another friend smokes three a day, one after each meal. And has hardly ever deviated from that practice. Eat my heart out!

I read of those that say if they start back with one, it snowballs from there.

you could try to cut down and see what happens I think if you were the "type" to be able to so this you would have already. cutting back hardly ever works I think you friends are in a verl, very. very slim monority as most people can't do this. saying you don't want to quit completely is really just your addiction talking. there are many things you can do to quit smoking, the patch is a huge help for many and I know is what helped me quit. so is well butrin and chantex as well as nicotine gum. truly if a hard core 2.6 a day 20 plus year smoker like me can quit I know you can too. DM me if you ever need any help or ideas to cope. I have lots that will help you get the job done if you want to give it a real go. good luck

Old 06-29-2009, 12:21 PM
ttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you could try to cut down and see what happens I think if you were the "type" to be able to so this you would have already. cutting back hardly ever works I think you friends are in a verl, very. very slim monority as most people can't do this. saying you don't want to quit completely is really just your addiction talking. there are many things you can do to quit smoking, the patch is a huge help for many and I know is what helped me quit. so is well butrin and chantex as well as nicotine gum. truly if a hard core 2.6 a day 20 plus year smoker like me can quit I know you can too. DM me if you ever need any help or ideas to cope. I have lots that will help you get the job done if you want to give it a real go. good luck
Until a person takes it seriously and wants to quit, they have no chance. The junkie thinking means they have not yet got to that point where they really want to quit.

"I love to smoke, and I never want to stop. I wish I can cut down and only smoke socially. I wish I can smoke only on the weekends. I wish they made cigarettes that were not addictive"

If you really want to be a social smoker get Herbal nicotine cigarettes and smoke those! Don't like the taste or they don't do it for ya you say? You are an addict that's why.

I bought a pack of said cigs for my gf and her friends and they all tried them, after one they were all reaching for the real ones.

They all love to smoke so much huh? NO they love the Nicotine.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
Until a person takes it seriously and wants to quit, they have no chance. The junkie thinking means they have not yet got to that point where they really want to quit.

"I love to smoke, and I never want to stop. I wish I can cut down and only smoke socially. I wish I can smoke only on the weekends. I wish they made cigarettes that were not addictive"

If you really want to be a social smoker get Herbal nicotine cigarettes and smoke those! Don't like the taste or they don't do it for ya you say? You are an addict that's why.

I bought a pack of said cigs for my gf and her friends and they all tried them, after one they were all reaching for the real ones.

They all love to smoke so much huh? NO they love the Nicotine.
I tell ya it takes me 3 puffs and I am back at it full on it is scary how controlling that stuff is. any good addiction makes you think you don't wanna quit, otr that you will do it later, just one all that stuff. thats why not only do you have to combat the body cravings as you detox but learnig to cope with a brain that is telling you the opposite of what you should be doing. it takes so much to really get over the addiction but if you educate yourself on what to expect and how to combat it, it is way doabale. I am so glad I was able to stop.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:43 PM

15 posts, read 43,574 times
Hey I can join you there, fellow humans. Its so sad smoking and i really need to stop.

How we will we will do it ? Break this habit?

I think I am going to start by not smoking until I have had breakfast , and smoke outside. Then I will reassess and break down this addiction.

I had night mares also with patches, but they are great in helping you through the day!

Did you take of patches at night time?

Ok will sign inn again soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness