Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 05:39 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times

Advertisements

Wow. One favorite of mine is Audio Books. You don't have to be a reader to enjoy them. Good ones have great actors reading the character parts. Larry McMurtry has some killer books! The Berrybender Series, Telegraph Girl, not to mention Lonesome Dove. Also, Janet Evanovich has some hysterical audio books out there - if a little naughty.

Is there some kind of phone service volunteer work you can do? At least one day you will heal and walk again!! Hope it's soon!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 06:34 AM

806 posts, read 877,223 times
My wife just went back to work after having surgery for a torn Achilles tendon . We rented a wheelchair for her to get around the house . They have some that are fairly narrow . She used crutches for those places she couldn't access with the chair . Yes , she was bored to tears but she was able to do a little of her work on the computer . Netflix helped too . You will find things to do that you never thought about before . Good luck .

Old 02-23-2014, 03:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I chipped a bone in my ankle and thought it was a bad sprain so I wrapped it up and went to work for a week. The pain wasn't too bad until I pushed the clutch in on my car. I had an x-ray done after it was still swollen and purple after a week and it was indeed broken. I refused a hard cast opting for an air cast. I was supposed to use crutches for 6 weeks but that only lasted a couple of days. I was off work for 6 weeks but had to wear the air cast for 6 months because I just couldn't sit still long enough for it to heal. I swear health care workers are the most non-compliant and difficult patients. I feel sorry for you. The boredom about drove me insane. That and my husband constantly yelling at me to get off my foot.
Yikes!

Crutches - OMG I hate those things. Thank goodness for knee scooters is all I can say - but even those are a hassle.

I have an air cast now, and I love that I can take it off when I'm truly sitting down or in the bed, or taking a bath. I had a regular cast for the first 8 days and LORD HAVE MERCY I hated that thing.

I can't believe you had to wear that air cast for six months. NO NO NO! I am abiding by my doctor's orders as if they were the Holy Grail because after falling a few days ago I realized how much of a danger to myself I am! And my doctor quickly agreed with me on that point.

And I can relate to the husband thing, because now that I am in the boot, I feel OK resting it on the floor (with my weight on the other leg and foot of course) and every time he sees me doing that he exclaims, "YOU'RE STANDING ON THAT FOOT - GET OFF THAT FOOT!" I mean, I guess he's right - I can see how I could lose my balance and shift my weight to that foot so really - I need to keep it off the dang ground, but it's SO DIFFICULT. Argh!

Good news is that today I took that boot off and after my bath I took a really hard look at everything from all angles. I have hardly any swelling, just a little bruising and the incision looks good so far - still leaving the grody looking tape on there though because I don't think that incision is quite ready for prime time yet.

Bored. Bored, bored, bored. BORED BORED BORED BORED BOREDBOREDBOREDBOREDBORED.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
My wife just went back to work after having surgery for a torn Achilles tendon . We rented a wheelchair for her to get around the house . They have some that are fairly narrow . She used crutches for those places she couldn't access with the chair . Yes , she was bored to tears but she was able to do a little of her work on the computer . Netflix helped too . You will find things to do that you never thought about before . Good luck .
Glad to hear your wife has recovered!

Thank God for Roku boxes. Wow, there are all sorts of weird and unique channels available!

Old 02-23-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Wow. One favorite of mine is Audio Books. You don't have to be a reader to enjoy them. Good ones have great actors reading the character parts. Larry McMurtry has some killer books! The Berrybender Series, Telegraph Girl, not to mention Lonesome Dove. Also, Janet Evanovich has some hysterical audio books out there - if a little naughty.

Is there some kind of phone service volunteer work you can do? At least one day you will heal and walk again!! Hope it's soon!!

I really enjoy Larry McMurtry's books. I have been meaning to reread "Some Can Whistle." Now may be the time! And I'll look into the ones you suggested as well. ESPECIALLY Janet Evanovich.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Old 02-23-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
This is a good idea.

Also Firethorn and Wildfire, by Sarah Micklem. And if you read fast and you're still bored, books by Laurel K Hamilton are pretty good if you don't mind werewolf and vampire stuff and lots of sex.

Knitting or crochet might be good, or starting a quilt with paper-piecing.

If you want some exercise, you can look for chair workouts on youtube, and just do the parts you're able to do for now.

You could make a batch of salt clay and make ornaments out of it.

Play games on Facebook.

I had to move from one apartment to another while I had a broken leg. That was really not fun. So when you're bored, you can be glad you're not having to move.

Good suggestions - thank you! Ornaments...hmmmm, hadn't thought of that one!

LOL about the werewolfs and vampires and lots of sex. Those aren't all at the same TIME are they?

And I think I may have found a good yoga channel that focuses on yoga for people IN CASTS and boots. I swear, there's something for everyone in Internet Land.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:19 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Six months! Wow!

This is my second achilles tendon surgery - thank God we only have two and the surgical repair has a high success rate - my left ankle is completely healed and strong now, and I expect this right one to be just as successful, but it's a very long recovery time. If all goes well it's about 6 weeks non weight bearing, then two or three more months in the big boot with crutches as needed, and then PT starts, which I am really looking forward to. (In a few days I am going to start some yoga that I found online that is specifically for people wearing a cast!) The only thing I am dreading about PT is the Graston technique of breaking down scar tissue, which is very effective but very painful and is done twice a week for about two months. AUGH. But the rest - really looking forward to it.

I have some pain pills and you're right, they do help me sleep and plus, I think when our body is trying to heal itself, we want and need more naps! Love nap time.

My friends and neighbors have been really sweet and helpful so far - I even had some friends in Belgium send me a package of several pieces of antique, hand knotted Belgian lace, including a beautiful runner for the top of my piano! Wow, that brightened my day. It's hard for me to ask for help from friends and neighbors but I guess that is my pride - and that can always use some work! They are more than willing to help me with little errands - I just have to swallow my pride and ask.

I am feeling a little scared about being here by myself for three weeks - not because I can't stand to be alone, because I can, but because I KNOW MYSELF and know that I am prone to take risks in the name of "strength and independence." I am afraid I will hurt myself more than I am afraid of being alone, if that makes sense. I do like to read and I love Netflix, and I have several good friends who have already put me in their calendar to come by and visit and one of them is even bringing me some art supplies so that I can make cards to send to elderly people and shut ins (wait...I'm a shut in! LOL). I am looking forward to that project because it's something that I can do FOR OTHERS which will be a refreshing change of pace after being forced to be so self centered and dependent on others!

Thank you for sharing your story and your advice! All these thoughtful posts really do help.
With all the great suggestions here you have tons of ways to keep busy. I'm so glad to read that you are determined to stay still and not hurt yourself, and give your body time to heal.

Yes, the pain pills are great, but I hope you don't get so much sleep that you are awake at night. That happened to me after a while (you aren't doing months so that might help) and I had to get new meds to fight that... sheesh.

Friends are a real life saver. I never would have survived without them. And as you said, it's hard to learn how to ask for help. I learned a lot through my experience and being on the other end of asking for help was a real eye-opener. That "strength and independence" thing can be tricky!

You are doing well so far, seemingly. Keep on doing what's good for you. It will be over before you know it. Good luck on the PT!!

Old 02-23-2014, 06:58 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I really enjoy Larry McMurtry's books. I have been meaning to reread "Some Can Whistle." Now may be the time! And I'll look into the ones you suggested as well. ESPECIALLY Janet Evanovich.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Annie Potts reads Telegraph Girl and it's my very favorite. My favorite Janet E is Metro Girl.

NEVER get an audio book read by the author...Zzzz Zzzz Zzzz I've nearly run off the road...

Old 02-23-2014, 07:01 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
...NEVER get an audio book read by the author...Zzzz Zzzz Zzzz I've nearly run off the road...

Agreed. Stephen King is the worst.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:04 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Like Bill Clinton.......I feel your pain.
Broke my arm two weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness