Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 12:28 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tart Green Apple View Post
EXACTLY! "Everything in moderation"
Heroin in moderation, crack cocaine in moderation, oxycontin in moderation.
These fatty and salty foods are addictive as proved by our bulging waistlines.
I can't speak to heroin or cocaine, but have used morphine and oxycontin in moderation, and found them very helpful.

As for fatty and salty foods, you obviously have never been fat deficient or had to work hard physically in 100+ degree temperatures. Mow your lawn with a push mower, at least twice a week because they don't do well with long grass. The problem is not the food you eat, the problem is that you sit on your butt and don't move. Don't drive, walk or bicycle. Don't pay an electric or gas bill, cut, split and stack your own firewood. Go swimming daily. Spend your weekends climbing mountains. You can eat all the fatty and salty food you want and glow with health.

It's not your food, it's your lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Science is telling us that both tobacco and meat/dairy consumption are triggers that can cause cancer.

In my family, three smokers died of lung cancer many years after they stopped smoking. I think it was something like 10-15 years after they had stopped smoking. One with emphysema died of pneumonia a few years after she stopped.

I don't think anyone can yet predict when cancer will strike as a result of diet.

In either case, not everyone that's exposed to those things will get cancer. But many presumably will.

The risks are there and it is something that we can disregard (take our chances) or try and avoid. I think it's also about quality of life in later years, based on the senior folks I see at our gym.
I had a neighbor who died of lung cancer. She was a Seventh Day Adventist who had never smoked and who was a vegetarian her whole life.

There is a myth that the perfect diet is out there that will give us health, comfort and vigor while letting us live to 100. It's not true.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
We're all going to die and there's nothing you can do about. Carry on, live your life, stop seeking out these "X common thing causes cancer" type of studies.
Right on, John. A substantial portion of the population are hypochondriacs looking for followers.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:26 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Let's see if we can get some clues from the longevity of various nations which have many vastly different diets. Notice that many of them have traditional diets high in meat and dairy, while others have a more fish and plant based diet, such as the heavy reliance on white rice in many Asian countries. I conclude that diet probably has little to do with longevity and health.

Top 15 nations with highest life expectancy:1 Monaco 86.5
Moderator cut: copyright violation, provide link
List of countries by life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-07-2014, 02:25 PM

That's life expectancy from birth to death. The USA ranks 35th because we neglect medical treatment of so many infants. If you look at a list of infant mortality, you will see that the USA ranks 29th.

Countries with the Lowest Infant Mortality Rates

If we ever manage to implement universal health care, it is likely that US infant. morality rates will fall in line with the rest of the world.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That's life expectancy from birth to death. The USA ranks 35th because we neglect medical treatment of so many infants. If you look at a list of infant mortality, you will see that the USA ranks 29th.

Countries with the Lowest Infant Mortality Rates

If we ever manage to implement universal health care, it is likely that US infant. morality rates will fall in line with the rest of the world.
Yes, unfortunately I couldn't find a ranking that had life expectancy from age 20 or similar, but I think it's still fairly accurate concerning longevity.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:46 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,266 times
But smoking weed is totally harmless. Makes you live longer, increases brain cells to make you smarter. Makes you understand Einstein's theories better too. Cures diseases, the list goes on. Just a win win situation all around. No, just kidding, it isn't.

This "study" is bogus. There is no possible way that eating meat is worse than cigarette smoking. In moderation, of course.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:14 PM

57 posts, read 79,492 times
Close - but no cigar. Its the hormones in dairy products that increase the chance of cancer - especially breast cancer, prostate cancer, and lately seems other cancers are involved as well. This has been well known to medical experts for decades. Milk for adults is a killer drink. The names for hormones just gets changed to keep ahead of the FDA who for some reason refuses to end that practice. and so dairy cows are, to this day, homone loaded, and so is their milk. Its the only way a dairy farmer can make a lucrative living. Big business and government - what a combo.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:57 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
What about butter?

I eat roughly a half-pound (two sticks) every three days. What can I say; I love the stuff.

I eat butter made from grass-fed cows. There actually is a difference between the grass and the grain types. Grass-fed cows' butter is much higher quality. Several website say that, far from being harmful, the fats in this type of butter actually helps the heart as well as the entire body and is very anti-inflammatory, among other healthy benefits.

Anything deleterious I should know about butter coming from grass-fed cows that I am missing?

Old 03-07-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittelschmirz View Post
....... Milk for adults is a killer drink. .
I keep reading that, but then the country with the highest per capita dairy intake is Switzerland, which regularly is seen high up on indices of health, happiness, and longevity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness