Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:36 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,540,967 times

Advertisements

My pancreatitis was diagnosed with an ultrasound and bloodwork.

I'm not sure when exactly the pancreatitis developed, but mine started out as gall bladder attacks during my pregnancy with my son. I had no idea they were gall bladder attacks, I thought I was having heartburn from the pregnancy. My attacks got worse and worse, and I kept having them even after my baby was born. I would often vomit, had pain under my rib cage (it almost felt like it was heart related), felt like I couldn't breath, and felt the need to rock back and forth during an attack. It was like there was nothing I could do to be comfortable. My attacks started out lasting about an hour, and they seemed to get longer and longer with each attack. And then suddenly the attack would end and I felt fine. Finally one day I was having a really bad attack that lasted many hours and I decided to go to the ER. They did an ultrasound and bloodwork and found that I had gall stones that had entered my pancreas, causing pancreatitis. I had to be hospitalized and had one procedure where they went in and broke up the stones, and the next day my gall bladder was removed. I have felt much better ever since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 03:00 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Gave you a rep. Thank you for sharing your story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
My pancreatitis was diagnosed with an ultrasound and bloodwork.

I'm not sure when exactly the pancreatitis developed, but mine started out as gall bladder attacks during my pregnancy with my son. I had no idea they were gall bladder attacks, I thought I was having heartburn from the pregnancy. My attacks got worse and worse, and I kept having them even after my baby was born. I would often vomit, had pain under my rib cage (it almost felt like it was heart related), felt like I couldn't breath, and felt the need to rock back and forth during an attack. It was like there was nothing I could do to be comfortable. My attacks started out lasting about an hour, and they seemed to get longer and longer with each attack. And then suddenly the attack would end and I felt fine. Finally one day I was having a really bad attack that lasted many hours and I decided to go to the ER. They did an ultrasound and bloodwork and found that I had gall stones that had entered my pancreas, causing pancreatitis. I had to be hospitalized and had one procedure where they went in and broke up the stones, and the next day my gall bladder was removed. I have felt much better ever since.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:52 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
How long do the attacks last for? I had thought this could be a possibility of what I experienced. I had horrific pain that sent me to the ER in '06 but they did a cat scan thinking I had kidney stones but saw nothing, if it was my pancreas would they have seen it with the cat scan?
I read the article you posted and experienced many of the symptoms for about 5 to 6 hours and then it went away. I have only had this happen 3 times so I wonder if that matches pancreatitis?
How long they last varies. My minor attacks would last only one to two hours. My first severe attack lasted several hours and was misdiagnosed initially as a heart attack, then acid reflux. That one was almost two years ago, and I had many more minor attacks until the big one late in September...That lasted two weeks, but I was doped up with morphine and on intravenous ( nothing to eat or drink, not even water for 10 days and I lost 31 pounds within two months. ) I actually became afraid to eat until after my gall bladder surgery.

I don't think they can detect it with a cat scan, but they can detect the pancreatic enzymes in your blood if they do that check. They can also see the gall stones with ultra sound imaging.

Normally, digestive enzymes do not become active until they reach the small intestine, where they begin digesting food. But if these enzymes become active inside the pancreas, they start "digesting" the pancreas itself.

A gall stone can block the pancreatic duct because the plumbing from the gall bladder is connected to the duct from the pancreas.

In the meantime I suggest that you avoid as much as possible any fatty foods, as that is what aggravates the gall bladder, and may bring on an attack. If you do have pain I found that bending your body ( bring your knees to your chest ) eases the pain somewhat.

You really shouldn't delay getting this looked at.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 21,783 times
Default post gall bladder removal pain

I just had my gall bladder out a week ago. I started having pain on my right side going to my back on Monday. I never had any pain at all with my gall bladder unless I ate wheat. Then I had pain on the left side (not usual I guess).
I had my gallbladder out for two reasons. First was due to diarrhea. Second was because my HIDA scan said my ejection fraction time was 18%. After 4 years of this diarrhea and unable to eat wheat, I decided to have it our. Diarrhea was getting worse. The surgery part was fine. I got dehydrated 3 days after sx and had to get IV fluid. This pain had started the day before this though.
This pain takes my breath away. It will wake me up at night. If I move a certain way (not sure which way it is) the pain is so intense I cant breath. Walking makes it worse. When I sit and dont move, Im good. But I do feel like I cant catch my breath sometimes. So I take a deep breath and the pain shoots. I have noticed that I burp more than I did before. I have no pain with touch to the area. Help
Ive had two blood clots in my lungs before and am pretty sure that this is not one.
I work at a Dr's office and my provider isnt worried about the pain. The surgen that did the sx says it will go away. When? I had to take more time off work due to this pain. I usually dont sit still for this long, but this pain is keeping me still.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:19 PM

791 posts, read 2,958,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
How long they last varies. My minor attacks would last only one to two hours. My first severe attack lasted several hours and was misdiagnosed initially as a heart attack, then acid reflux. That one was almost two years ago, and I had many more minor attacks until the big one late in September...That lasted two weeks, but I was doped up with morphine and on intravenous ( nothing to eat or drink, not even water for 10 days and I lost 31 pounds within two months. ) I actually became afraid to eat until after my gall bladder surgery.

I don't think they can detect it with a cat scan, but they can detect the pancreatic enzymes in your blood if they do that check. They can also see the gall stones with ultra sound imaging.

Normally, digestive enzymes do not become active until they reach the small intestine, where they begin digesting food. But if these enzymes become active inside the pancreas, they start "digesting" the pancreas itself.

A gall stone can block the pancreatic duct because the plumbing from the gall bladder is connected to the duct from the pancreas.

In the meantime I suggest that you avoid as much as possible any fatty foods, as that is what aggravates the gall bladder, and may bring on an attack. If you do have pain I found that bending your body ( bring your knees to your chest ) eases the pain somewhat.

You really shouldn't delay getting this looked at.
Wow I could lose a few pounds but not that way, LOL
That is horrible, gosh I think I would be afraid to eat as well.
I never had gall stones before I got my gallbladder removed it just wasn't functioning properly.
The funny thing is the episodes that I have had have been months apart and not associated with any meal, at least I don't think so. The pain definitely makes doing everyday things impossible being I don't want to move when it has happened.
I cannot go to the Doctor at this time, but when I can I think I just might bring this up as a possibility. I know doctors must hate it when patients think they can diagnose themselves but I really sometimes I think I know my body better than they do. Gosh it took almost a year to get my gallbladder out, they have nothing but time but when your the one in pain time is very important.
Thanks for telling me your story

Old 03-06-2008, 07:01 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Well you aren't alone redwhiteblue. After the doctors blew the diagnosis twice I went crazy on google. The evening of the big attack when the ambulance arrived the paramedic said that I was having a heart attack, I said no, I think it's pancreatitis. She then told me I was in denial. That didn't stop her from dosing me with nitro though.

If I have any more problems you can be sure I will take the doc's opinion with a grain of salt....Google gives us access to almost everything we need to know, and I agree with you that we know our bodies better than anyone.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:40 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Just be sure to save the photo at the link I left. If you do have another attack, it may help you figure out where it's coming from.

Here's the link again Pancreas (http://www.fairview.org/healthlibrary/content/aha_pancreas_art.htm - broken link) - shows liver & gallbladder too

Old 07-11-2008, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 21,125 times
Default Finally! someone i can relate to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENN039 View Post
has Anyone Ever Had There Gallbladder Removed And Than End Up In Worse Pain Than Before You Had It Removed?? Well Since Mine Has Been Removed Back In October 2007 I Have Had Nothing But Severe Upper Abdominal Pain. It Will Start In Between My Ribcages And Radiate Right Through To My Back. The Doctors Can Not Figure Out What This Pain Could Be. They Have Done Blood Work And A Endoscopy But Every Thing Has Come Back Negative. Has Anyone Experience This And If So How Long Does The Pain Continue For?
I had my gallbladder taken out in Oct. of 2003. my son was 3 mo old and i went into the ER with severe abdominal pain. i was kept overnight and it was taken out in the early morning. I ended up being in the hospital for 3 weeks! a stone had traveld down and got lodged in the common bile duct. after extesive tests, and diagnostics i ended up at Stanford University. They removed it and a week later i went home. I still have pain to this very day. sometimes i know it is because of the foods that I eat (starbucks, soda, fatty foods) but other times when i have had only water, i still have it. i have not been to the doc about it, considering what happened the last time. so i empathize with you. but we prob should go get this checked out. good luck!

Old 07-19-2008, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 21,049 times
Did you ever get a diagnosis?

Old 08-01-2008, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 20,927 times
I had my gallbladder removed a little over a month ago. Within 2 weeks of my surgery I woke in the middle of the night with a severe pain in my upper abdomen just below my sternum. I have to say the pain was as severe as the final stages of child labor! Since that time I have had one more attack a couple of days ago. The attacks come and go over about a 1 hour span, lasting 10 to 20 minutes each time. I have had blood work, endoscopic procedure and at the beginning of this next week will have a CT scan done. My gallbladder symptoms have seemed to have subsided for the most part. I have been following a low fat diet. I am waiting minute by minute hoping whatever attack I have had does not return. I have also have experienced weight loss and random nausea. Anyone with a similiar experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness