Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 09:48 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,782,074 times

Advertisements

I've had some pretty serious back issues, and I would definitely recommend going to a physical therapist. I highly recommend Olympic physical therapy. I was also pretty impressed by the ones at the Pro Club in Bellevue (I went there for a separate knee problem). Chiropractors are fine for temporary relief, but only you can make lasting change from within.

Nowadays I work out at a Pilates studio on a piece of equipment called a reformer. Nothing I've ever done is as good as that for isolating and strengthening individual muscle groups. Eventually I would recommend something like that for strength, flexibility and balance. However, I would start with Physical Therapy. It was there that I really learned about the anatomy and mechanics of my spine, and how to strengthen the musculature that supports it, and how to avoid placing stress on it. Now, no matter what I do - I know how to modify it so I use the stronger muscles to do the work, and don't overextend my back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 09:37 PM

66 posts, read 81,488 times
Lay on the floor with your knees bent at 90º and your feet up against the wall shoulder width apart. Place a ball between your knees to keep the pelvis from rotating and move your left foot 6 inches away from your right foot. Breathing normally, raise your pelvis up off of the ground about 4 inches, raise your right foot off of the wall and hold that position for 15 seconds. Do this 3 times a day for the first 4 days and twice a day until you are pain free. After that once a day or every other day is sufficient to keep your back from hurting. I assure you this works and I would hope that you would let me know how your doing in a day or so. You will notice an immediate relief when your pelvis and spine fall back into line. Good luck. Repeat the maneuver twice on each attempt, resting for 5-15 seconds in between. (2 sets) This is not difficult and the results are amazing.

Last edited by vocal1; 12-04-2014 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: Add content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
View detailed profiles of: