Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 09:55 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,266 times

Advertisements

Kidney stone (add me to the stone crowd here).
You can have one for decades. Mine is in the UBC medical museum and the size of a musket ball. I'd been laying that one down since University (all that bad American food) and always thought it was back pain.

Check with near relatives and you might find a few where kidney stones run in the family. How bad is the actual bleeding? If he's profusely sweating you can go into renal failure. It's also not "flushable"; if you drink fluids it may make it worse without medical observation. Time to at least the clinic if not emergency.

Keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 10:06 AM

214 posts, read 330,225 times
He has been to the doctor this morning and the dizziness & sweating is gone now. He is just getting the feeling to urinate very frequently and when he tries to go, it's just blood in small amounts. The doctor just gave him two sample bottles for urine and then when he's filled both up (he filled one this morning; the other one is to be used late tonight) to take them to the doctors tomorrow morning.

It may be a UTI, but the doctor hasn't prescribed him anything for it, so she obviously didn't feel it was necessary. The hospital won't do anything now his symptoms have subsided, and he won't want to wait in a packed out A&E when he's already seen the doctor today.

Has anyone had a UTI before and how long did it last?

Old 02-18-2015, 10:06 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Emergency room - this is no minor problem!!!

Old 02-18-2015, 10:33 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
Years ago, the late hubs had a kidney stone. We didn't know what it was at the time, but when I returned from work to find him sitting in front of the stove, wrapped in a blanket, sweating profusely and shivering at the same time, and showed me a small bottle of bloody urine that he had passed, I wasted no time in getting the ambulance to the house and having him transported to the hospital. He spent four days there before passing a kidney stone.

I'm not diagnosing your Dad's problem, but I do think the doctor is treating this a bit casually. While the symptoms may be subsiding for now, what do you do when he wakes up at 3 AM with a recurrence? I'm all for the ER route, but only Dad can declare on that course of action. Good luck.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:39 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,164,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
Hi guys,

Basically, this morning he was urinating blood. He said he was fine yesterday, but it's just become apparent this morning. He has been to the doctors and she told him that he needs to fill up two sample bottles (one for the morning, and for the evening) then bring them back into the doctors so they can be sent for examination. She also wants to send him to the hospital to test for prostate cancer. She told him that the test results will be back within 2 weeks.

The issue now is, he is feeling very light headed like he's going to pass out. Is this due to the loss of blood he is experiencing or something else? I am becoming a little concerned, but as he's seen the doctor, i'm not sure what else can be done without him getting visibly progressively worse. One other thing, he seems to be sweating too.

I don't know what to do because he isn't in a bad way, but he's just getting sweats and feels light headed/dizzy. He is lying down now, but it's a little bit worrisome.
Take him to the emergency room RIGHT NOW!

Anytime blood comes from an orifice or is mingled with fluid or feces, it is cause for immediate concern.

The fact that he is dizzy and lightheaded along with the other symptoms suggests that something that needs immediate attention.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:50 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
A friend of ours died from a UTI. He wasn't feeling well for a week or so, and his wife finally talked him into calling an ambulance. She figured the hospital would fix him up and he'd be home in no time. He died that day. He was in his 50's.

UTI's are NOT to be taken lightly. Get another opinion.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:59 AM

568 posts, read 962,466 times
This must be a joke post. Instead of reading these and wasting time, you should be a the ER. Good grief!!! What is wrong with people!

Old 02-18-2015, 12:23 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
A friend of ours died from a UTI. He wasn't feeling well for a week or so, and his wife finally talked him into calling an ambulance. She figured the hospital would fix him up and he'd be home in no time. He died that day. He was in his 50's.

UTI's are NOT to be taken lightly. Get another opinion.
My mom almost died from a UTI last year. She was feeling a little bit bad one day, had blood in her urine that night, and the next day she was just able to function long enough to call herself an ambulance, then she spent two weeks in ICU with a septic infection.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:39 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,218,110 times
There are many walkin Medical facilities in my area. CoPay is much cheaper than ER . I would not hesitate to get a second opinion immediately.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:31 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
Hi guys,

Basically, this morning he was urinating blood. He said he was fine yesterday, but it's just become apparent this morning. He has been to the doctors and she told him that he needs to fill up two sample bottles (one for the morning, and for the evening) then bring them back into the doctors so they can be sent for examination. She also wants to send him to the hospital to test for prostate cancer. She told him that the test results will be back within 2 weeks.

The issue now is, he is feeling very light headed like he's going to pass out. Is this due to the loss of blood he is experiencing or something else? I am becoming a little concerned, but as he's seen the doctor, i'm not sure what else can be done without him getting visibly progressively worse. One other thing, he seems to be sweating too.

I don't know what to do because he isn't in a bad way, but he's just getting sweats and feels light headed/dizzy. He is lying down now, but it's a little bit worrisome.
Is the urine pink?
Has your dad ever had gout?
Is there flank pain?
Does he have a history of kidney stones?
Is the doctor a urologist?

Here is my experience:
Two years ago my urine went from yellow to pink. It turns out that my uric acid is high. The doctor found kidney stones, bladder stones and had to do a trim job on the prostate. The doctor should be looking at the bladder, and the kidneys. You didn't say anything to lead me to believe that this was done.

I also don't think that this can wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness