Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 04:16 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times

Advertisements

Are you looking for a discussion on assisted suicide?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 04:21 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
I think this is more of a cautionary tale for those of us who have not yet reached that stage of life, to consider what our wishes would be if we were in a situation like that, and to express those wishes very clearly in writing before we're ever in that sort of situation.

Some people want to live forever. My mom has said that she wants to live as long as possible, in whatever condition she ends up in, and not to ever consent to turn off life support, stop feeding her, etc. while she still has a dollar to her name to pay for treatment. She inherited a lot of money from her mother, who did not want to live forever and did the paperwork and left my uncle, who would actually respect her wishes, in charge of her decisions. My mom says she's planning to live at least another 30 years and she figures she can just pay to make that happen. There's no discussion of quality of life with her.

Personally, dementia is a lot scarier than dying from cancer or an infection. It's tragic when the mind is gone and the body remains in good health. My sister says that we're in the midst of a real-life zombie problem...the way that Alzheimer's is so common now.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:25 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Are you looking for a discussion on assisted suicide?
That, and more importantly the failure of doctors to honestly present treatment options and likely outcomes. When my mother was choosing whether or not to have chemotherapy it was not explained to her the impact of her deepening dementia. Perhaps the doctor was in a hurry. Perhaps my mother should have been given more than 60 seconds to decide something so profound.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
That, and more importantly the failure of doctors to honestly present treatment options and likely outcomes. When my mother was choosing whether or not to have chemotherapy it was not explained to her the impact of her deepening dementia. Perhaps the doctor was in a hurry. Perhaps mgooy mother should have been given more than 60 seconds to decide something so profound.

She had as long as she wanted, unless she was forced into it physically. Second opinions are always allowed.

Doctors are taught to heal, and will go as far as patients allow. Do no harm, even by omission.

Some doctors are not good at bedside manner.

My husband's orthopedist is an ahole, but he is a good surgeon.

I am sorry your family has gone through all of this.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
That, and more importantly the failure of doctors to honestly present treatment options and likely outcomes. When my mother was choosing whether or not to have chemotherapy it was not explained to her the impact of her deepening dementia. Perhaps the doctor was in a hurry. Perhaps my mother should have been given more than 60 seconds to decide something so profound.
Perhaps your mother and you could have done your own research. You could have forgone treatment and opted for hospice and palliative care.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Perhaps your mother and you could have done your own research. You could have forgone treatment and opted for hospice and palliative care.
What's your suggestion? How do you forgo hospice and/or palliative care and not get reported to Adult Protective Services? I did lots of research.

What are your fantastic ideas?

Old 04-16-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
What's your suggestion? How do you forgo hospice and/or palliative care and not get reported to Adult Protective Services? I did lots of research.

What are your fantastic ideas?

What are yours?

Old 04-16-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
What are yours?
We had a 24 hour nurse assistant. The hospice was required in order to terminate active cancer treatment. When I attempted to switch hospice services, I received a threat to report me to Adult Protective Services.

So again, your brilliant ideas?

Old 04-16-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
We had a 24 hour nurse assistant. The hospice was required in order to terminate active cancer treatment. When I attempted to switch hospice services, I received a threat to report me to Adult Protective Services.

So again, your brilliant ideas?

I don't have the problem, so I don't need a solution.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
I don't have the problem, so I don't need a solution.
So do you just enjoy making snarky, judgmental remarks for the fun of it? Great entertainment I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness