Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 07:30 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times

Advertisements

I'm a proponent for death with dignity.

The problem is .. The person must be alert enough to take the medicine that will give them the dignity to release themselves.

I think that part needs a liaison of Relief to speak on their behalf when they are unable administer. I recall a patient I had that for six months begged her family to let her go... Then one day she just stopped asking.. The disease reeked thru her .. And from there it was pure he** for the family and for her. Only so much morphine could be administered. Hospice was there and that didn't stop the pain...

I'm not Nieve to think a miracle of health will arrive so let's keep the riddle with pain person sustaining... The person knows.. Grant them release...

Not sure why states are so obstinate on this.. Religion and state are to be separate...

I have my medical directives and appointed persons. my faith will be tested that they follow thru with my choices. Hel* to the no on a tracheotomy... Or life support. Once that pt is considered.. Best to consider my release of life..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 08:22 PM

757 posts, read 838,116 times
Yes. In my opinion, it ought to be nationwide, federal law to enable anyone to end suffering without having to resort to some ugly means to do so. It is no one's business what anyone else does in that regard. For the life of me I cannot understand how abortion is the law of the land but death by physician and patient working together is not.

Those who are opposed based on their religious beliefs do not have to avail themselves of that opportunity.

Everyone dies at some time or another. Choosing that time ought to be legal. That means having a living will that exercises that right if one is incapacitated.

If needs be, I will take care of business the hard way if I develop a debilitating disease such as ALS or one of the other types that wreck everyone's life involved with a loved ones health. The medical community are ravaging families finances and it has to stop.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:35 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
"If needs be, I will take care of business the hard way if I develop a debilitating disease such as ALS or one of the other types that wreck everyone's life involved with a loved ones health. The medical community are ravaging families finances and it has to stop."

So should sick or old people feel obligated to bump themselves off so the kids and grandkids can enjoy their lives and even enjoy the sick/old person's inheritance? You see the danger...

Old 08-14-2016, 07:14 AM

757 posts, read 838,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"If needs be, I will take care of business the hard way if I develop a debilitating disease such as ALS or one of the other types that wreck everyone's life involved with a loved ones health. The medical community are ravaging families finances and it has to stop."

So should sick or old people feel obligated to bump themselves off so the kids and grandkids can enjoy their lives and even enjoy the sick/old person's inheritance? You see the danger...

I said "I". What others do is their business. I have been to too many "nursing homes" to let that happen to me and mine. People waiting to die, wanting to die in some cases if not all. No one is being helped by extending a life that has no quality. But again, none of my business what others choose to do. I just do not want the medics and the govt deciding for me.

Last edited by Bygeorge; 08-14-2016 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 08-14-2016, 10:30 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
[quote=northwesty;45119062]It has always been interesting to me that what we make some humans endure at the end of life would result in prosecution if done to an animal under our care.

We are a strange species.

Exactly, but there are those that torture their animals with surgery and chemo and try to force them into living out of selfishness as well. I'm waiting for the doggie ventilator to be offered to keep the unfortunate animals around much longer then they should be.

I've seen many end stage patients on ventilators with family members on their knees praying for that miracle that never came. I could never torture a pet into living and I really would prefer to have an option not to torture my loved one in the same manner.

It's horrifying when a senior takes a gun into a hospital room and ends their loved ones pain, and then has to do the same to themselves because they know they'll spend the rest of their short life in prison. Why? One size does not fit all and options are necessary.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:37 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) one of the worst diagnoses a person could get. I've decided that if I ever got a terminal diagnosis like this I would just move to Oregon and use their law.
Apparently the law is not as simple as it sounds, even in California, where it was recently passed. This writer's aunt suffered from ALS.
My aunt's struggle with assisted suicide: There was death, but not enough dignity - LA Times

Old 08-14-2016, 11:56 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Like say for example, Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) one of the worst diagnoses a person could get. I've been watching numerous video on YouTube of people and their families coping with various diseases and Gehrig's is about the worst I've seen. I've had many meetings with myself and have decided that if I ever got a terminal diagnosis like this I would just move to Oregon and use their law. Anyone else feel the same?
A diagnosis by itself would not cause me to want to die sooner. Only reaching a point where my last "good days" have already passed would do it. That said, if I had only 2 years left to live, I'd probably drink a lot.

I would need second and third opinions from other doctors too before I'd even consider changing my life much at all, because there is of course the whole misdiagnosis risk issue.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:13 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,246 times
Quote:
Like say for example, Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) one of the worst diagnoses a person could get. I've been watching numerous video on YouTube of people and their families coping with various diseases and Gehrig's is about the worst I've seen. I've had many meetings with myself and have decided that if I ever got a terminal diagnosis like this I would just move to Oregon and use their law. Anyone else feel the same?
Yes, but I'd rather move to Switzerland.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:09 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
"A diagnosis by itself would not cause me to want to die sooner. Only reaching a point where my last "good days" have already passed would do it. That said, if I had only 2 years left to live, I'd probably drink a lot. "

This (I would like to think, if I still had good days left). This would be carte blanche to eat what you want, drink what you want, do whatever you want, spending all of your money, and basically live as if it were your last day -- because it might be. You might REALLY live as you've never really lived before...

I see myself jetting off to my dream destination and enjoying life, but maybe I romanticize it.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:09 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,250 times
4 states have assisted suicide laws (death with dignity). In Montana, if you petition the Supreme Court, you can be granted so, but who in the world would go that far...move to one of the other states. WA, OR, VT, CA.

I am a hospice nurse and I am for the law all the way. The people who fight it are many hospices and other agencies that have the most to lose when the people take control. Not all pain can be controlled, and I've seen some awful ends. No, no...let the person choose, grant them the dignity to go out as of their own choosing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness