Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 05:30 PM

730 posts, read 1,658,115 times

Advertisements

Herniated disc in neck.

Nerve pain from neck running down arm to hand / fingers.

Neck would stiffen where I could not turn my head and just the weight of my head was too much to bear.

Had our first baby during this - I couldn't even hold him.

Lost my job during this and we had just moved into our first home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 06:53 PM

170 posts, read 311,708 times
Swollen/bleeding spleen from Mono. By far the worst pain I have ever felt.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:50 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Celluitis in both legs and feet. (That's celluitis, not to be confused with cellulite.) The inside of both legs felt like they were on fire. Both legs and both feet swelled up so bad it caused my skin to crack. Sometimes it hurt so bad to stand up that i'd have to crawl to the bathroom. It took almost 2 months to get rid of. I had never heard of celluitis until I was diagnosed with it.

That burning sensation in my legs from celluitis was quite similar to the intense pain that stretched from my left groin down my left leg to the top of my left foot when I got stung by a Portuguese Man-o-war in the Gulf of Mexico south of Corpus Christi. Both were brutal.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 09-15-2016 at 12:00 AM..

Old 09-15-2016, 12:25 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Oh my. Many of these stories are like my worst fear. Stuff of bad dreams. Waking up in the middle of surgery!? No, no. No, no, no.

Honestly, based on what many have described in this thread, the "worst" pain I've left doesn't really make the cut. Lol It was such a quick process, but hurt like hell. But still, very different from serious ailments and injuries. I've given birth five times, and none were particularly painful.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:49 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
It's hard to compare.

Could have been them burning a plantar's wart out of the sole of my foot with an electric needle and insufficient anesthesia. I am sure that nurse did not expect an 11-year-old to use such language toward her.

Could have been second-degree burns over half my body, especially when I was idiot enough to step into a hot shower. That was unpleasant.

Might have been the knee pain from arthritis that kept me from sleeping. I knew it had gotten bad when the sleep deprivation had me so furious that when it awakened me, I realized that had I had a hammer in my hand, I would have bashed my knee with it.

Could have been the day I got eight fillings at about age 14, all in one go, the day all my molars were essentially destroyed by a small-town elderly male dentist.

Or it could have been every step I took when my calf sheath filled up with blood after the knee surgery, and I could feel the muscle tissue ripping. In hindsight, when that ortho took the personal cell phone call during my final consult, I really should have just reached back and punched his lights out.

It's only pain.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:56 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Oh! Braces by a guy that was results before comfort. I cried myself to sleep at night.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-15-2016, 01:11 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
I had a pit bull try to take a chunk out of my calf while on the job about a month ago. I was absolutely STUNNED at the amount of pressure he was able to apply in what was really more of a quick bite than an attack. Thank God I had jeans on, he barely broke the skin. However, a month later and you can still see the teeth impressions and there's still some bruising.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:08 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I have a story about waking up during surgery. When I was 47 I had a near-fatal attack of pancreatitis which resulted in a harrowing ambulance ride and emergency surgery at Georgia Baptist Hospital in Atlanta.
During this emergency surgery, I was aware of a very tall African American man really hurting me. I looked around for help but all the people around me were ignoring me and actually helping this man hurt me. And they seemed to be in awe of him and respect him. I don't remember the pain but I do remember the situation.

I was in a medically induced coma for 3 weeks and on life support. When they finally brought me out I was shocked when a very tall African American man came into my room, stuck out his hand and said "Hello, I'm Dr. Titus Duncan and I'm the one who operated on you last month."

I'm sure my jaw dropped. I explained to him what happened and he sat down to talk to me for a very long time. He said he had heard a few similar stories. The anesthesia was strong enough to basically put me out but I was still aware of everything going on around me.

During the coma I heard nurses discussing an affair one of their colleagues was having with a married doctor. I recognized their voices when I came to and I repeated to them every word I heard. They were Aghast!!!! I remember one of the nurses wore an especially strong and offensive fragrance and I recognized her from the fragrance once I came to. I told her it was strong enough to wake the dead!

Old 09-15-2016, 05:35 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I took a fairly common antibiotic which destroyed both my Achilles tendons, and I had to have them both surgically repaired. Painful (but thankfully not as painful as some of the other things I've mentioned). The issue with this whole ordeal was the LENGTH OF TIME it takes to recover from Achilles tendon injuries - it can take up to a year to reach full recovery. And lots and lots of physical therapy.

But if it helps, I'll tell you that I went hiking in the Alps 8 months after surgery. I did have to pace myself but I did it.

One thing to watch out for in the future is forgetting to stretch out and do your ROM exercises, basically for the rest of your life, because if you don't continue this, you will be much more prone to developing plantar fasciitis, which in my experience was more painful than the actual AT injury and surgery.

Good luck!

You didn't take any fluorquinolone antibiotics did you - Cipro, Levaquin, Ciloxan, Avilox, Noroxin, Chibroxin, Ofloxacin, etc)? If so, you may be one of the lucky ones, like me, who develop tendon damage afterwards. See articles below:

FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA advises restricting fluoroquinolone antibiotic use for certain uncomplicated infections; warns about disabling side effects that can occur together

Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics Linked to Serious Nerve Damage

Yes, I took Cipro...several times...for repeated kidney infections when a kidney stone was too large to pass through the ureter (had a lithotripsy, another delightful medical procedure). However, that was 7 years ago, so I wonder how much Cipro one would have to take, & for what duration, to cause damage...and I also remember that when my daughter was an infant/toddler/prechooler, she had frequent & severe ear infections, & Cipro was always prescribed...very disturbing.

But thank you for the information & encouragement...it gives me hope, & those of us with pain as part of our daily lives really need to support each other.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:45 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I get your point. My point is that it just disturbs me to hear about people who felt that they were medically traumatized and/or violated. If you feel that doesn't apply to your experiences then that is a good thing and you do not need to take my statements personally.

I suppose it would be preferable to bleed to death while discussing "options" rather than suffer through a temporary "violation."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness