Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2016, 05:23 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaTea View Post
Flu is pretty rare? Really?
As I said I had the asian flu probably before a lot of you were born and I was 18 and think maybe had it a couple times in my 78 yrs...one needs to keep a Strong Immune System for a big starter. I've been working with supplements for over 25 yrs.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:23 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaTea View Post
Flu is pretty rare? Really?
5% to 20% of the US population gets the flu in any given year. Maybe rare" was a poor choice of a word on my part but the chances of getting the flu, with or without the vaccine are still pretty low.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:12 PM

7,090 posts, read 4,820,754 times
In reply to the OP, I haven't had a flu shot yet, and have been lucky enough to have not gotten the flu so far. I'm 61, soon to be 62.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:16 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
5% to 20% of the US population gets the flu in any given year. Maybe rare" was a poor choice of a word on my part but the chances of getting the flu, with or without the vaccine are still pretty low.
5 to 20% is LOW???

Really????

In healthcare we would consider a 5-20% risk of catching a disease exceedingly COMMON

We are talking about a 1/20 to 1/5 chance of catching a fairly serious disease with significant morbidity and mortality....

Vaccination lowers that risk of infection by 50-60% and those that do still "catch the flu" post vaccination typically have a milder course...

It is disingenuous to claim the risk of catching flu is low "with or without vaccine"....

It is certainly lower WITH vaccine but very common WITHOUT vaccine.....

Do you wear a seatbelt when you drive? I do every time and have my entire adult life...

Yet my odds of being involved in a serious car crash are about 1/10000

I work in health care and perform procedures daily that involve a risk of blood borne contamination...

My risk of developing HIV from blood contact to my intact skin is less than 0.1%....in fact there has never been a documented case of HIV conversion after blood contact with intact skin from HIV positive blood....yet I still wear gloves during every procedure....

5-20% risk of catching a disease is NOT LOW and any measure that can be used to lower that risk should be followed most of all vaccination....

Old 10-16-2016, 07:36 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
My company was offering them, but not driving 110 miles just for a "Free" shot...
The vaccine might cost you about $25 with no insurance. If you are insured it will be free except for possibly a small administration fee.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:50 PM

175 posts, read 203,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
5 to 20% is LOW???

Really????

In healthcare we would consider a 5-20% risk of catching a disease exceedingly COMMON

We are talking about a 1/20 to 1/5 chance of catching a fairly serious disease with significant morbidity and mortality....

Vaccination lowers that risk of infection by 50-60% and those that do still "catch the flu" post vaccination typically have a milder course...

It is disingenuous to claim the risk of catching flu is low "with or without vaccine"....

Do you wear a seatbelt when you drive? I do every time and have my entire adult life...

I work in health care and perform procedures daily that involve a risk of blood borne contamination...

My risk of developing HIV from blood contact to my intact skin is less than 0.1%....in fact there has never been a documented case of HIV conversion after blood contact with intact skin from HIV positive blood....yet I still wear gloves during every procedure....

5-20% risk of catching a disease is NOT LOW and any measure that can be used to lower that risk should be followed most of all vaccination....

Old 10-16-2016, 08:26 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
5 to 20% is LOW???

Really????

I'm so terrified, bludevilz.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:30 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61
My dr told me since I had such a bad reaction a couple of years ago he told me to no longer take a flu shot and just to use a mask and wash my hands a lot.
Wow Im amazed a doctor would tell you this!!

Im so sorry Phonelady you had a bad reaction

Old 10-16-2016, 11:26 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
I have no allergies to the shot. just do not believe in them. I wash my hands often and eat healthy. Have avoided the flu for years.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:00 AM

481 posts, read 263,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
My dr told me since I had such a bad reaction a couple of years ago he told me to no longer take a flu shot and just to use a mask and wash my hands a lot . I mean washing hands can cut down on a lot of germs indeed . So was just wondering if any one else had a bad reaction to the flu shot in past years and has just decided not to take one this year or ever again ?
The flu shots can only be shown to not work, if they work that is the same as resisting the flu in our own body. In other words you can resist flu without flu shots but the shots give you an added armour.

The catch 22 is this: If you don't have the shots and get the flu, they will say they told you so. If you do have the shots and get the flu, they will say you must have had the virus before you got the shots. If you have the shots and don't get the flu, then they will say I told you so.

I have had my flu shots this year and ended in hospital with Pneumonia, but not related to the shots, they told me.

One caution: The "experts" are now saying that the hand cleansing solution that is in the Dr's surgery these days is likely to create a "Super Bug". It is not strong enough to kill all bugs and these bugs will get stronger to combat the mild effect of the solution. I haven't checked this out on the net yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.