Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 10:36 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
What you can do OTC right now is start applying Rogaine (or generic equivalent) to the top of your head. Use per container directions. Won't hurt.

Next step is get to a dermatologist, you need to get checked medically as to what is going on, is it garden variety male pattern baldness, or something else?

Assuming it is MPB, you can get on Finasteride (generic Propecia), it's prescription only, but generally a dermatologist will write you a scrip if you ask for it. The generic version is AFIK chemically identical to the brand-name, and it's quite cheap ($30 for a 90-day supply)

These are the only two FDA approved, scientifically proven antidotes to MPB.

Anecdotes suggest that Nizoral shampoo, use it about 2-3X per week, not every day, has some anti-balding effects. This has not been studied in a double-blind test, it's not scientifically proven, so don't go telling people I told you to use it, OK? But you will probably want a shampoo at least a few times per week, Nizoral is not that expensive, so if it does no more than an ordinary shampoo, you are not out much.

While nothing is 100%, I think the majority of cases at least experience a slowing of the balding process if the above is done.

Like most things, it's easier to avoid losing hair than to grow it back.

I'm a little amazed that I have the first post with any technical "meat" to it, what's with all this "give up and embrace it" crap? If a guy said he was getting fat, would you say "give up and embrace it"? Or suggest diet and exercise?
You were more specific, I'll give you that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 10:59 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I'm a little amazed that I have the first post with any technical "meat" to it, what's with all this "give up and embrace it" crap? If a guy said he was getting fat, would you say "give up and embrace it"? Or suggest diet and exercise?
I wouldn't compare baldness to obesity, since obesity is normally a direct consequence of poor lifestyle choices. Also some men still have a lot of sex appeal without hair. Personally, I'm not aware of any fat guys who ever been considered to be a global "sex-icon". I can think of a few baldies who have achieved that status over the years.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:02 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I wouldn't compare baldness to obesity, since obesity is normally a direct consequence of poor lifestyle choices. Also some men still have a lot of sex appeal without hair. Personally, I'm not aware of any fat guys who ever been considered to be a global "sex-icon". I can think of a few baldies who have achieved that status over the years.
My husband is 6'1" and weighs 160 pounds when he's chubby. Looks like a stick normally. He started balding in his early 20's. In his late 40's now, and he's pretty bald in the front and on top. His hair has thinned out a great deal as well. Baldness is genetic. Skinny and fat people go bald.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:07 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
My husband is 6'1" and weighs 160 pounds when he's chubby. Looks like a stick normally. He started balding in his early 20's. In his late 40's now, and he's pretty bald in the front and on top. His hair has thinned out a great deal as well. Baldness is genetic. Skinny and fat people go bald.
Point being? I didn't deny that was the case.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:11 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Point being? I didn't deny that was the case.
Point being I was agreeing with you that obesity isn't what causes baldness.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:32 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,853 times
I read this promising study recently on pumpkin seed oil to treat hairloss: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4017725/

Worth a try if you're desperate

Old 02-28-2017, 11:55 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If you had beautiful hair but haven't had a date so far this century, your lovely locks were not helping you get a date. So having hair doesn't get you women, so not having hair won't keep you from finding a woman.
You can't beat this logic, OP! Work on your charm. Smile.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:01 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,505 times
Congratulations! This is the best time in recently memory to go bald. Certainly the best in my lifetime.

I started losing my hair when I was 16, and my parents took me straight to the dermatologist for Rogaine, which was still available only by prescription. I used it for almost 20 years, and my hair continued to fall out, but at a slower pace than I imagine it otherwise would have.

Finally, when I hit my mid-30s, I reached the point where it looked worse to have more hair than less -- nothing's worse than long, sparse hair up front. So I stopped the Rogaine and cut my hair really short. I should have done it 10 years earlier. It looked so much better. And it's in style, too!

The time will come when close-cropped hair is no longer fashionable, but until then, buzz it and appreciate your good fortune.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:35 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Don't shave your head. ET looked like a creep, and so do most guys who shave their heads. Monks ring with a bald top is going to be the next big rage. Work on that.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:40 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
I started losing my hair around age 21. If there was a treatment, I tried it. Nothing really worked, and one day, I just sucked it up and shaved it off.

Really didn't change a thing for me. Having no hair at all didn't cause any roadblocks for me in life. Still have a good career, dated some beautiful women, married one that pays ZERO attention to the amount of hair on my head. Overall, my hair was just hair...nothing more.

Once in a while you meet someone that is judgemental in regards to your lack of hair. But so what? There are people who are judgemental about EVERYTHING. You can be a supermodel and someone will find something to criticize you about.

Long story short. Stop worrying about your hair. It's jusr hair and not what defines you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness