Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 06:21 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times

Advertisements

Any of you ladies here ever have an ovarian cyst burst?

Yesterday I was really ill & had severe pain in my right lower abdomen. I've experienced this one other time before where I almost went to the ER as it was almost an all day thing. Yesterday I remembered this pain I had before and after having an MRI (IIRC) my neuro said there was fluid in my overies where a cyst probably burst. From what I remember, it was around the same time but I didn't put it together until yesterday.

I'm due for a checkup and will be making an appointment but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 11:38 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Any of you ladies here ever have an ovarian cyst burst?

Yesterday I was really ill & had severe pain in my right lower abdomen. I've experienced this one other time before where I almost went to the ER as it was almost an all day thing. Yesterday I remembered this pain I had before and after having an MRI (IIRC) my neuro said there was fluid in my overies where a cyst probably burst. From what I remember, it was around the same time but I didn't put it together until yesterday.

I'm due for a checkup and will be making an appointment but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this?
Yes, and this can be dangerous. You will most likely need to be put on antibiotics and have an ultrasound done. It was quite painful. Don't delay in case you develop an infection. So sorry you are having these problems. The pain was simply horrific.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:25 PM

Thanks. I'll probably be on antibiotics tomorrow as I woke up with swollen glands today, unfortunatly I had another doctor appointment I couldn't cancel.

I'll be sure to look to see if my GYN is in my new insurance plan.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:29 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks. I'll probably be on antibiotics tomorrow as I woke up with swollen glands today, unfortunatly I had another doctor appointment I couldn't cancel.

I'll be sure to look to see if my GYN is in my new insurance plan.
Please be careful, Rose. If I remember my medical stuff . . . you can get peritonitis. Don't mean to scare you. Just ask questions if you can't get to your GYN. I may be overly stating the risk.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Please be careful, Rose. If I remember my medical stuff . . . you can get peritonitis. Don't mean to scare you. Just ask questions if you can't get to your GYN. I may be overly stating the risk.
The reason I asked was because I wasn't getting great info on the google search. This gives me more to go on.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:27 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,955,436 times
Yes I have had one rupture, it was very painful. I was in the ER for a few hours, as they gave me pain medication and a female exam, as well as a ultra sound. It hurt so bad the pain went down my leg too. I was sore for a few days.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:55 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
I have actually lived through this four times. Luckily, it's been many years since my last one, but I remember well how extraordianarily painful it was. The first time it happened I thought I had appendicitis.

Here's basically how my doctors treated my ruptured cysts. First of all, once I got to the doctor's office (or the ER) and the doctor examined me, I was given a shot in the hip to deal with the pain (Demerol perhaps? Frankly, I was in too much pain to care!). Then I had to drink a ton of water and have an ultrasound, which can be very uncomfortable because the poor technician has to press down on the part of your body that is already in so much pain (and that full bladder doesn't help things, either). The doc would give me a RX for antibiotics and pain meds (hydrocodone usually), & told me to stay in bed for a few days to allow my body to recover.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 PM

40 posts, read 400,130 times
Ovarian cysts are indeed painful. I remember the pain being far worse than any menstrual cramps I've ever experienced. I went in to see the campus health center, and they weren't able to confirm anything, as usual. They sent me to the local hospital, where I had numerous ultrasounds and other tests done to confirm the ovarian cysts. As MrsSteel stated above, they do a lot of pressing on your abdomen. It was definitely hard to fight back the tears. They had me on an IV for quite some time. I couldn't even fight the pain enough to sit up. Eventually I had a laporoscopy done, and they discovered that my uterus had formed wrong. Part of my uterus is wrapped around my right ovary, putting added pressure on my ovary. During the laporoscopy, they cleaned up some of the scar tissue caused by the repetitive ovarian cysts I've had. That seems to have helped to reduce the discomfort level quite a bit. I was able to go to London only two weeks later; however, they said the next surgery would take a much longer time to heal. They will need to reconstruct my uterus so that it will no longer affect my ovary. They have even talked about removing my right ovary, which scares me to death. I have yet to commit myself to this surgery. I'm still operating on the "If I've survived this long, I can survive w/out it" notion.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:33 PM

Thank you for the replies. I wasn't able to get in to see the doctor (GP) today, have a 3pm tomorrow. I will discuss this with him, see what he says.

Been feeling crummy with my swollen glands but managed to read a little about peritonitis, don't think it applies, so that's good. It is something I will remember though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl8 View Post
Ovarian cysts are indeed painful. I remember the pain being far worse than any menstrual cramps I've ever experienced. I went in to see the campus health center, and they weren't able to confirm anything, as usual. They sent me to the local hospital, where I had numerous ultrasounds and other tests done to confirm the ovarian cysts. As MrsSteel stated above, they do a lot of pressing on your abdomen. It was definitely hard to fight back the tears. They had me on an IV for quite some time. I couldn't even fight the pain enough to sit up. Eventually I had a laporoscopy done, and they discovered that my uterus had formed wrong. Part of my uterus is wrapped around my right ovary, putting added pressure on my ovary. During the laporoscopy, they cleaned up some of the scar tissue caused by the repetitive ovarian cysts I've had. That seems to have helped to reduce the discomfort level quite a bit. I was able to go to London only two weeks later; however, they said the next surgery would take a much longer time to heal. They will need to reconstruct my uterus so that it will no longer affect my ovary. They have even talked about removing my right ovary, which scares me to death. I have yet to commit myself to this surgery. I'm still operating on the "If I've survived this long, I can survive w/out it" notion.
OMG, are you ok now? How long has it been since you found all of this out?

My pain management doctor thought that I might have uterus problems affecting my back so I was checked out pretty good two years ago. Thankfully, nothing like what you are going through. I think I could live without the ovary, but if they wanted to take out more, then I'd be hesitant.

See if you can find a message board where others have had this surgery to find out what you're in for. I know people that have had C sections and did not have the same pains I did when they went in through my front left abdomen for my back surgery, so everyone is different. I think finding people that went through the exact surgery is the way to go. There is nothing like hearing it from the horses mouth.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:46 PM

40 posts, read 400,130 times
I found out in Nov '06 and had the surgery a few days after Christmas '06. The pain isn't nearly as bad as it was before the surgery. Couldn't use tampons for quite some time after the surgery. Until my surgery, I never realized how much one truly depends on abdominal muscles. I had to have help getting out of bed, putting my pants on, etc. I felt like the biggest woose ever. I've become quite fond of my little heating pad since the surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness